Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Who makes rl purple label, again?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by The_Foxx, Mar 21, 2004.

1. The_Foxx

The_Foxx Senior member

Can anyone verify, with certainty, who makes RL Purple label 'made in italy' clothing these days?

I just found another reason that there is NO excuse to wear cheap clothing. Bought a RL SB Purple Label blue blazer, new with tags ($2685...) for $450 (minus the $200 I sold one of my older suits for on ebay, put it toward my purchase in Paypal) = $250. Goes to show that patience and knowing your size/ good labels can really pay off online. Can't wait to have functional buttonholes put on this excellent super 140s wool sportcoat.

2. jcusey

jcusey Senior member Dubiously Honored

St. Andrews makes the tailored clothing. I think that the dress shirts are made by Lorenzini, and I would imagine that at least some of the sport shirts are, too. I don't know who makes the ties, socks, or sportswear.

The shoes, of course, are made by Edward Green.

3. dug

dug Well-Known Member

The price can not be 2685 usd for a jacket unless it is 100% cachemire or bespoke.

Who is the seller?

4. The_Foxx

The_Foxx Senior member

Dug--

I thought this a little odd, myself....but it IS a super 140s wool, all basting stitches still intact, sleeve buttons not yet attached, vents still stitched closed with white stitching. Price on the label reads $2685.

5. Equator

Equator New Member

Hope that tag is not in Hong Kong dollars. Calcs out to about $340 USD if so.

6. A Harris

A Harris Senior member Dubiously Honored

Purple Label sportcoats and blazers are very expensive - only slightly less than the suits. I didn't believe it myself until I went into the Polo store and saw them in person. $2685 was very likely the actual retail value.

7. shoefan

shoefan Senior member

Probably was the retail price; Purple Label stuff is pretty ridiculously priced, IMO. Compare what RLPL prices are versus E Green shoes or SaintAndrews own label jackets and you'll see that there is a stiff premium for the Purple Label name. I have a SaintAndrews super 140's jacket that was priced at $2100 at Bergdorf Goodman, not known as a cut-price retailer. RLPL is intended to give the Polo name a boost by creating a super-high quality image, so I guess they think the prices need to be near those of Kiton or Brioni, though I don't think the quality is quite the same. You can't get better than E Green (other than, perhaps, Lattanzi), so I guess they just mark the shoes up above where Greens are priced.