• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Who makes peale & co. shoes?

johnnynorman3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The people at BB are just intent on saying that Peale makes Peale & Co. shoes. It is true, as somone here pointed, out that some of the shoes appear different -- one row of gold punchings on the heel, and a black stamp instead of a gold stamp. But I can't be sure if those are C & Js. Does anyone know this info for sure?

Duveen

Reaction score
I second the motion - anything that we can use online to determine the make? Or is the only way to use the slugs in the heels as jcusey suggests - necessitating an in-person visit. As I said before, I am fairly sure that almost all of the shoes that I have seen in person at BB are Sargents. In addition to the Highgrove that I cited before, there is the case of Dr. Bresch on AskAndy, who identified a pair of boots he purchased at BB as the Sargent Quorn model after visiting this site. Finally, you can go to specific sale shoes and make the eyeball comparison yourself. Look at the Peal & Co. Square-Cap Blucher Shoe on BB (can't link to it b/c of frames) and compare it to the Bloomsbury at Bodiley's (useful b/c it gives the toe shape) which is the same as the Wigmore at Pediwear (useful b/c it is a prettier picture of the black version. With a little sleuthing I think that most shoes can be matched up to Sargents. The only challenge I found in identifying a Sargent look-alike for the BB web sale shoes was with the monkstraps, which do resemble either a C&J Compton or the discontinued Grosvenor. I am extremely skeptical that anyone other than Sargent makes the current-model Peal's. That said, if you can find a dusty old pair at the Boston or NYC shop it could be C&J or even Green, from what I've heard. What's on the website, though, is likely to be current-issue Sargent stuff. As always, I am looking to be disabused - I'd love to get some C&Js for $268 bucks, but I am loath to pay a markup for Sargent when I can easily get them on the cheap from Bodiley's with shipping included.

johnnynorman3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So, I was at the BB store the other day. The Algonquin's definitely had the single row of slugs. So did the captoe with spectator detailing. The regular captoe and the plain toe were double rowed.

AlanC

Minister of Trad
Reaction score
I recall a post from someone stating he had visited C&J and they indicated they were still making some of the Peals. Sadly, the BBs here doesn't carry shoes for some inexplicable reason.
mad.gif

jcusey

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I second the motion - anything that we can use online to determine the make? Or is the only way to use the slugs in the heels as jcusey suggests - necessitating an in-person visit.
That's not the only way. The interior markings and the style of heel stamp are also different on C&J-made shoes than on AS-made shoes. Of course, you have to make an in-person visit to look at those, too.

It wouldn't surprise me if Brooks Brothers has some models from both makers. I mean, everybody's cap-toe bal looks pretty much alike, and some stores may have that model from AS while others have it from C&J. This is ever the difficulty of buying rebranded merchandise over the internet.

Lomezz

Reaction score
If it still helps - I just remembered I recieved an email from C&J not long ago stating that they still manufacture shoes for BB under the Peal label.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Staff online

Forum statistics