• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Who makes nice, pocket- and logo-less OCBDs?

radicaldog

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
And they should possibly be available in Europe.

By the way, do you reckon it would be possible to remove the embroidered Ralph Lauren logo from an OCBD without damaging it?

Thanks.

zalb916

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As OCBDs are almost always made with a pocket and you want something nice, why not just have a shirtmaker make one to your exact specifications? I'm often baffled by threads on here in which people discuss the difficulty in finding shirts that fit their body and style when they can accomplish everything they want and more with a custom shirt at a reasonably minor upcharge.

radicaldog

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've actually got quite a few MTM (not bespoke) shirts, but since I see the OCBD as a relatively loose-fitting, informal shirt I thought I might try and save a few pennies by going RTW.

zalb916

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You can order the "select" special order dress shirts from Brooks Brothers. They will let you specify things like no pocket on an OCBD. I think it would be about $125. I have no idea what ordering from Europe is like, though.

radicaldog

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Checked with one of the London BB stores: MTM shirts start from £130, which even with the weak Pound doesn't sound very fair.

HRoi

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
yes, MTM is the way to go. i do have an RTW Borrelli OCBD that's logo less and pocket less...although the cloth is a little thinner/lighter than my other oxford cloth shirts, but similar weave.

radicaldog

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks, Zbromer. I've ordered from BB before, and got charged considerable customs duty. I'll have to look for another source.

Kent Wang

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

NaturalShoulder

Reaction score
I believe that there was a thread on Ask Andy about removing the horse logo. IIRC, it is possilbe but difficult.

crazyquik

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Perhaps Land's End Custom, at $50, $60, or $90 depending on fabric. However, I've never seen one of thse shirts in real life so I have no clue whether they are 'nice' or not. I suspect the collars are suspect
patch[1].gif
Also you have a very limited color selection (1, 2, or 3 depending on fabric).

I'm sure Mercer would make one without a pocket for you, for probably around $90 or whatever their going rate is.

bluemagic

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Lands' End Hyde Park Tailored Fit are very, very similar to Black Fleece OCBDs, I've tried both and I currently own one Lands' End. The only pity is that this fit only comes in Blue and White...

Modernist

Reaction score
Well, if you're in UK, there is Aertex for RTW. More casual though than dress shirts. Not great, but good to wear with denim and khakis. DNA Groove is excellent, but Claudio offers a very specific product, with extremely tall (2") and long (4") collar. Wonderful roll, though. Of course for made to order there is Trim Fit (http://www.trimfituk.co.uk/). And of course there is always Jantzen. You have to be very specific, when describing what you want, and very patient to get it. But I've got two BDs that have turned out to be rather nice.

Modernist

Reaction score
Originally Posted by bluemagic
Lands' End Hyde Park Tailored Fit are very, very similar to Black Fleece OCBDs, I've tried both and I currently own one Lands' End. The only pity is that this fit only comes in Blue and White...

Do they come with full box pleat on the back?

CharlestonBows

Reaction score
I was aimlessly wandering a mall a few weeks ago and picked up a basic blue OCBD from Fossil for $25. It's not the necessarily the greatest, but for a basic, casual OCBD for a great price, it works.

For better quality, go BB.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads