• We would like to welcome Exquisite Trimmings as an official Affiliate Vendor. Exquisite Trimmings is a UK based purveyor of the very best in clothing and accessories, from gloves by Thomas Reimer to leather portfolios from Il Micio, to watch rolls by Rapport London. Please visit their new thread and give them a warm welcome.

  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

    Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

    Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Who makes higher stance 2 button suits like this?

razl

Stylish Dinosaur
Joined
Aug 10, 2009
Messages
10,639
Reaction score
2,824
I am 6'3 and only have mid to high stance 3 button jackets and suits. I don't think I've ever seen a high stance 2 button and certainly not one that I thought would work on my frame - but was surprised when I saw this:



Clearly, that top button is above his navel. I'll also grant that it's possible those might be some lower-than usual waisted pants playing some visual trickery. While I found that he's (Corey Pavin) shorter than me at 5'9", it looks like the whole team is wearing the same suit and there are some taller fellows in there.

So - does anyone know who makes that suit and/or comparable stance 2-buttons?
 

bellyhungry

Distinguished Member
Joined
Mar 18, 2010
Messages
1,935
Reaction score
167
I recall reading somewhere that it is by Hickey Freeman. Obviously not from their OTR offering.

Now anyone can ID those shoes? Darlton by RL?
 

malat

Senior Member
Joined
May 10, 2010
Messages
509
Reaction score
310
Not too long ago, I purchased a Hugo Boss Selection 2-button suit with a higher button stance like that.
 

TRINI

Distinguished Member
Joined
Sep 7, 2006
Messages
9,027
Reaction score
654
Isaia
 

amplifiedheat

Distinguished Member
Joined
May 16, 2009
Messages
1,419
Reaction score
8
The combination of too-high-cut jacket and low-rise pants is one of the most common rookie mistakes I see. The result is a shorter leg line combined with a smaller chest region--you couldn't break up your silhouette better if you tried.
 

Ianiceman

Distinguished Member
Joined
Jun 12, 2010
Messages
2,651
Reaction score
485
Don't do it man. I am biased towards three button jackets. Get a high stance two and you're risking the triangle of death where the quarters open up to reveal a glimpse of shirt and belt as in that picture. Hideous!
 

razl

Stylish Dinosaur
Joined
Aug 10, 2009
Messages
10,639
Reaction score
2,824
Originally Posted by Ianiceman
Don't do it man. I am biased towards three button jackets. Get a high stance two and you're risking the triangle of death where the quarters open up to reveal a glimpse of shirt and belt as in that picture. Hideous!

Hmmm, I had to think about this for a second because when I wear a SC casually I don't mind the belt glimpse (though showing shirt is too much), but I think you're right in regards to a suit - I wouldn't want my belt showing.

I never though to distinguish between the two until now. And/or, maybe others find it hideous even casually...hmmm.
 

madcurry

Active Member
Joined
Jan 8, 2010
Messages
39
Reaction score
0
Originally Posted by amplifiedheat
The combination of too-high-cut jacket and low-rise pants is one of the most common rookie mistakes I see. The result is a shorter leg line combined with a smaller chest region--you couldn't break up your silhouette better if you tried.
I was trying on a Zegna jacket while accompanied by a female friend that I trust regarding clothing fit. I am 5'9" with a very stocky 44 R build with thick legs that can tend to look short. I usually consider a Zegna 2 button to be a good off the rack fit for me. My friend commented that she liked everything about the fit, except the button stance. She recommended a high button stance, indicating that the jacket made my legs look short. Would a higher button stance help to create a good leg line with appropriate full rise trousers? Is it better to just go with a 3 button Jacket?
 

Reevolving

Distinguished Member
Joined
Dec 25, 2009
Messages
2,678
Reaction score
84
Originally Posted by amplifiedheat
The combination of too-high-cut jacket and low-rise pants is one of the most common rookie mistakes I see. The result is a shorter leg line combined with a smaller chest region--you couldn't break up your silhouette better if you tried.

Com'on, there are dozens more rookie mistakes that are more common. Sleeve length, square shoes, baggy fit, etc etc etc. A wrong button stance is a fairly "advanced" mistake.
 

amplifiedheat

Distinguished Member
Joined
May 16, 2009
Messages
1,419
Reaction score
8
Originally Posted by madcurry
I was trying on a Zegna jacket while accompanied by a female friend that I trust regarding clothing fit. I am 5'9" with a very stocky 44 R build with thick legs that can tend to look short. I usually consider a Zegna 2 button to be a good off the rack fit for me. My friend commented that she liked everything about the fit, except the button stance. She recommended a high button stance, indicating that the jacket made my legs look short. Would a higher button stance help to create a good leg line with appropriate full rise trousers? Is it better to just go with a 3 button Jacket?

There is exactly one consideration on button stance: Does the jacket button at your natural waist? (Natural waist=narrowest part of the torso.)

I'm reminded of the time a woman who considered herself quite knowledgeable on clothes told me that black shoes didn't go with a navy suit. "What does, then?" I asked. "Navy shoes," she said, without a trace of irony.
 

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Joined
Mar 29, 2005
Messages
7,487
Reaction score
2,596
Originally Posted by amplifiedheat
There is exactly one consideration on button stance: Does the jacket button at your natural waist? (Natural waist=narrowest part of the torso.)

I'm reminded of the time a woman who considered herself quite knowledgeable on clothes told me that black shoes didn't go with a navy suit. "What does, then?" I asked. "Navy shoes," she said, without a trace of irony.



Well, of course, it's very common for women to wear shoes that match the colour of at least part of their clothing and it's easy for them to get shoes in a wide range of colours.

However (as can be seen from some of the bespoke shoe threads) it is possible to get navy shoes, in addition to other colours.

I remember having a conversation with my father about twenty years ago, when he mentioned that he used to have a pair of very dark navy shoes that he would wear with navy suits. I was horrified by the idea at the time (blue shoes! shoes should only be brown or black!) but over time I have come to appreciate the idea more and more.
 

amplifiedheat

Distinguished Member
Joined
May 16, 2009
Messages
1,419
Reaction score
8
Originally Posted by Journeyman
Well, of course, it's very common for women to wear shoes that match the colour of at least part of their clothing and it's easy for them to get shoes in a wide range of colours.

Just the point. The principles of women's clothing frequently don't apply to men's clothing. Women, for instance, sometimes wear dresses with an apparent waist just below the breasts. Such a high cut would be comical on a man's jacket. (Empire waists are also quite comical on women, but that's for another day.)
 

comrade

Distinguished Member
Joined
May 10, 2005
Messages
6,909
Reaction score
667
If I recall correctly, Wilkes Bashford in SanFrancisco has (had?) two button
sportcoats from Belvest with a highish stance. To my mind, nicer than the
peasants shown in the previous post.
 

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How do you feel about spending money on non-essential goods during the Covid-19 crisis?

  • I don't want to spend money at a time of economic uncertainty, even if I could afford it.

  • I feel compelled to spend to help small businesses that are struggling.

  • I reduced my budget for non-essential goods and I'm not spending at the moment.

  • Not much has changed for me and I'm still buying stuff I can't afford.


Results are only viewable after voting.

Related Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
438,675
Messages
9,455,215
Members
198,191
Latest member
SteveSears
Top