Who makes good dress shoe with rubber soles?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by tedbearz, Nov 25, 2004.

1. tedbearz

tedbearz Senior member

Leather soles are not really an option as I do a lot of walking. Have been looking at Ecco and Barneys house brand that have thin but dense rubber soles. Looking for something stylish and not clunky like Rockports with the thicker soles.

2. Mike C.

Mike C. Senior member

These Polo boots are pretty stylish while having a rubber sole. Plus I have a pair of Ferragamo's also with rubber that are comfortable for walking.

3. mcarthur

mcarthur Senior member

I would recommend that you look at the website for Alden of Carmel(www.alden of carmel.com) to review the Alden Fan Shoes.

4. petescolari

petescolari Senior member

Crockett & Jones has a real nice selection.  Check out www.plal.com  They usually have the best prices.

5. kitonbrioni

kitonbrioni Senior member

6. Kai

Kai Senior member

7. esquire.

esquire. Senior member

I thought that we had discussed earlier that rubber sole vs. leather sole didn't make a difference in terms of walking and comfort.

8. Cesare

Cesare Member

Well, it depends. I live in Switzerland and during the wintertime it is hard enough to walk around on, on leather soles with a profile. Let alone those slick leather ones [​IMG]

9. drizzt3117

drizzt3117 Senior member

I personally think rubber soled shoes are quite a bit more comfortable than leather as well.

10. nightowl6261a

nightowl6261a Senior member

Try maybe some of the Grensons, but also, check the Ecco line, or the Allen Edmond line, these 2 in particular have fine styling, and at the price quite exceptional for the resoling feature. Any question, feel free to call me....everyone knows the number.

11. Cesare

Cesare Member

I actually prefer leather, it looks a lot nicer. However it can be to slippery [​IMG]

12. AlanC

AlanC Minister of Trad

I think the short answer to the question is, whoever makes good shoes. I have a nice pair of Alden rubber soled dress shoes. I don't know about their general availability, but Footjoy has some nice looking rubber soled walkers that often can be had cheap. They're not Crockett & Jones, of course, but a great value, IMO. Allen Edmonds certainly has a wide selection and can be found more easily.

13. retronotmetro

retronotmetro Senior member

Anyone who thinks leather soled shoes have equal traction with rubber soled shoes needs to take a walk on the hill outside my office in the rain. I've watched people wipe out on that hill, they are always the people in leather soled shoes.

On the comfort point, I personally think that rubber soled shoes can be more comfortable than leather soles.

However, I rarely buy rubber soled dress shoes because I think leather soled shoes look better. I have some rubber soled bluchers that I wear in the rain, and a pair of Dainite soled C&J/Polo McCallum chukkas that I like a lot. But most of my shoes are leather soled.

I think anything with a Dainite sole is worth looking at, and the Allen-Edmonds rubber soles are pretty nice. Alden Fan shoes look very nice but I've never owned a pair (yet).

14. novalis

novalis Senior member

You might want to check out your nearest Allen-Edmonds company store for current sales. The store in Cabazon, CA has the Stockbridge rubber soled dress casual split toe on sale for $129 (reg $275) thru Nov. 30. I'm probably going to check it out tomorrow or this weekend. Also, beginning Nov 26 thru Dec 31, the Cabazon store will offer the Seneca, Colton, Concord and Randolph for $179 (reg. $285-295) but they're all leather soled I believe. Hopefully the other AE stores have similar sales going on nationwide.

15. Fashionslave

Fashionslave Senior member

Edward Greens with the Dainese rubber soles--you can't get finer ,in my opinion. [​IMG]