• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Who makes full canvas suits?

butkusrules

Reaction score
My understanding is that there are fused , half fused and full canvas. The full canvas being the best but most expensive. My questions i who makes the full canvas?

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
How much do you want to spend? <$1000? >$5000?

Top makers depend on what you want.

Sterling Gillette

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'd suggest you perform the canvassing-test on suits offered by various makers in various price ranges. You'l be surprised in many cases...

butkusrules

Reaction score
Originally Posted by MetroStyles
How much do you want to spend? <$1000? >$5000?

Top makers depend on what you want.

Didnt realize there were so many.

> 3000

josephrex

Reaction score
Good idea except you can't really tell much by the &quot;test&quot;, particularly if you don't know what a canvas really feels like. You also don't know if the padstitching on different parts is by hand or machine etc etc etc. that might make the difference between a $1800 samuelsohn and something significantly more expensive that is hand made.

penguin vic

Reaction score
^ what's going on with the TF posts ... is it a joke I missed ..?

johnny_flapjack

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was just at Nord Rack and there were a few fully canvassed Hickey Freeman suits amongst the racks for 30% and 50% off of $599. You have to get lucky to find the style/color/size that will make you happy, but I think I have 4 fully canvassed HF suits that I've picked up for under $300. If you're a 42L I've got one in the B&S forum right now for $250.

As far as a list of brands:

Hickey Freeman (Off 5th, NM Last Call, Nord Rack, etc, etc....)
Isaia (can find those at SierraTradingPost.com)
Barbera
Belvest (also stp)
Corneliani
Caruso
Zegna
Saint Andrews
Samuelsohn
Canali (am I right on their construction?)

There's 10 right there.

As with anything, many of these makers have various levels of build quality. The full canvas construction might be their '5 seris', but even BMW now makes a 1 series, so educate yourself before you buy.

greyinla

Reaction score
My understanding is that there are fused , half fused and full canvas.

Actually the &quot;half fused&quot; are half canvassed, with fusing throughout, but close enough. johnny flapjack's list is a good place to start. But if you can't tell the difference by feeling a suit, be careful w/ the HFs at Nordstrom Rack and the like. They make a diffusion line, HF Ltd., which can be hard to tell apart. Some of the other brands have diffusion lines as well, w/ slight name variations. BB also makes full canvas in their Golden Fleece line. But as JF suggests, you can't go by name alone.

Siggy

Reaction score
This topic comes up almost every week. Do a search and you shall find. There are not tons of makers, but more than a few dozen RTW brands, mostly Italian.

bluemagic

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Why don't more MC members wear TaT? I haven't heard anything but glowing praise about TaT construction quality.

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bluemagic
Why don't more MC members wear TaT? I haven't heard anything but glowing praise about TaT construction quality.

I haven't bought one because I do not want to commission a suit based on measurements done by someone other than the tailor making the suit himself. If I pass through LA or if GetSmart comes to NY, I would get one in a heartbeat. I assume this is the case for many members.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads