1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Who makes extra-short ties? (or, proper tie-shortening technique)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by kopah, Apr 13, 2010.

1. kopah

kopah Member

As a 5'10" guy with an average-length torso and a 14.5" neck, I find it's impossible to tie a four-in-hand knot on a standard 58-inch-long tie without having several inches of the narrow blade hanging out awkwardly. Tucking into pants or shirt is just not acceptable, so I pretty much always tie a half-windsor, but even this is too long with some ties/some trouser rises. I know I can get ties shortened, but sending them all to TieCrafters is an expensive proposition.

Are there any companies out there known for making shorter ties? Somewhere in the neighbourhood of 53 to 55 inches? With the width being 3.25 inches or less? I've got a couple of vintage thrift-store finds in this category, and every now and again you can find an '80's Hermès on eBay that fits the bill, but I'm hoping for a reasonably reputable modern manufacturer with new stock.

In the alternative (and perhaps bordering on sacrilege): is it possible to shorten a tie myself by just chopping off a few inches from the short end, folding over the edge, and machine-sewing it? Or is it necessary to cut along the shape of the V, take apart the lining, etc., so as to preserve the slip-stitching inside the tie that allows it to recover from twisting?

2. RoyalPaJamas

RoyalPaJamas Senior member

Why is tucking the narrow end into your trousers unacceptable? Many well-dressed men do/have done this (the Duke of Windsor and Alan Flusser, to name but two).

I am 5' 8" and have the same problem. In the past I have always tied a full or half-Windsor. Recently I have been drawn to the FIH, and in order to make it work, I accept that I have to tuck the narrow blade into my trouser waistband.

If you're really set on shortening the tie, Tiecrafters in NYC does such things.

3. Coal_Mining_Polak

Coal_Mining_Polak Senior member

I buy vintage ties - they can sometimes be as short as 52"! Keep your eye out at thrifts.

4. kopah

kopah Member

Why is tucking the narrow end into your trousers unacceptable?

Mainly because it bulges up when I sit down. Also, if the tie sways back and forth as I walk and reveals the tuck-in, it seems a bit... I dunno... grandpa-ish to me. Kind of like tucking your undershirt into your underwear... just not right. Not the way it's supposed to be, I guess.

5. JohnsNotHere

JohnsNotHere Senior member

6. glowell222

glowell222 Senior member

Or you could send some of your favorite ties to tie crafters and have them shortened and slimmed.

7. maomao1980

maomao1980 Senior member Dubiously Honored

I've found that the narrower Drake's ties are on the short side.

8. Viral

Viral Senior member

As a 5'10" guy with an average-length torso and a 14.5" neck, I find it's impossible to tie a four-in-hand knot on a standard 58-inch-long tie without having several inches of the narrow blade hanging out awkwardly. Tucking into pants or shirt is just not acceptable, so I pretty much always tie a half-windsor, but even this is too long with some ties/some trouser rises. I know I can get ties shortened, but sending them all to TieCrafters is an expensive proposition.

Are there any companies out there known for making shorter ties? Somewhere in the neighbourhood of 53 to 55 inches? With the width being 3.25 inches or less? I've got a couple of vintage thrift-store finds in this category, and every now and again you can find an '80's Hermès on eBay that fits the bill, but I'm hoping for a reasonably reputable modern manufacturer with new stock.

In the alternative (and perhaps bordering on sacrilege): is it possible to shorten a tie myself by just chopping off a few inches from the short end, folding over the edge, and machine-sewing it? Or is it necessary to cut along the shape of the V, take apart the lining, etc., so as to preserve the slip-stitching inside the tie that allows it to recover from twisting?

I have the same problem, however I also have a fix:

I wrap the longer end around the knot part TWICE before bulling it through the loop to make the dimple. This uses up a few more inches from the longer side and makes for the finished product to look more it's "supposed" to............no tucking in required!

Hope this helps [​IMG]

9. nerdykarim

nerdykarim Senior member

10. SHOP_TALK

SHOP_TALK Senior member

I have a resource that has made some ties for me. His name is ANTHONY T. he's here in NYC and makes a custom handmade neckwear. I know he's done XL-ties. So, if he's offering custom he probably can make a shorter length tie in a 3.25" width. His email is: tkirb@msn.com

11. intent

intent Senior member

Mainly because it bulges up when I sit down. Also, if the tie sways back and forth as I walk and reveals the tuck-in, it seems a bit... I dunno... grandpa-ish to me. Kind of like tucking your undershirt into your underwear... just not right. Not the way it's supposed to be, I guess.

I tuck my uindershirt into my underwear all the time. I don't like the bulge around the midsection from an untucked shirt riding up.

12. chaz44

chaz44 Member

try ProperKnot.com. new brand that launched. specialize in shorter ties. not a big selection, but some pretty nice ties offered in a 56inch length. I'm 5-7 and found that tying a four in hand was perfect without having to wrap it around 2 or 3 times.

13. gelada

gelada New Member

14. ShorterTies

ShorterTies New Member

Hey gents. You should visit our Etsy store. We make men's ties specifically designed for shorter guys.

https://www.etsy.com/shop/ShorterTies

Tie Length: 53 inches (135cm)

Tie Width: 2.5 inch width (6.35cm) for our standard silk ties and 2 inches (5cm) for the knit silk ties. Slim width to make you look great!

[​IMG]

15. le.gentleman

le.gentleman Senior member

For a larger selection of short ties including jacquard silk, grenadine, madder silk, wool challis, and soon others such as bourette and shantung, you may also want to take a look at Fort Belvedere ties. All ties come in short lengths.
    [​IMG]

16. chippneckwear

chippneckwear Well-Known Member

For those among us who want shorter ties, we can shorten our ties in two ways: 1 Blunt cut and bind them for which we make NO extra charge. 2 Re-cut them to a point, for which there is a $15 charge. The great majority of individuals who ask us to shorten the ties they order opt for the blunt cut - That is what I do for my own ties.

Paul Winston
    www.chippneckwear.com
    212 687-0850

17. SartodiNapoli

SartodiNapoli Senior member

I do, ( hope this is not spam), if is please delete.