• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Who makes better T-shirts? Uniqlo or American Apparel (or other)?

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Uniqlo > AA , IMO

Cali

Reaction score
Originally Posted by zacharydschroeder
size up one?

Nah, I tried that but I like the length and body width of the M, just have broad shoulders. I might eventually resort to tailoring larges but I would like to just find a better fit.

~Stangzorized~

Reaction score
I have a bunch of each company listed and I still like Gap T-shirts moreso than any other. I usually just wear the white or grey vnecks that come in packages of 2..

hermes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i really like the pantone series of solid coloured t-shirts by uniqlo
the shirts have a good saturation of colour to them
they have a good slim fit
they wash well and don't lose their shape out of the dryer either

i've found the opposite with aa
aa shirts seem to lose their shape after a few washes, especially in the collar area
although the fit of aa is fine, i've found that uniqlo is now my preference

cldpsu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Rome
C+C cotton is super soft but I couldnt tell you if the price is worth for the way the shirt is going to be worn. Personally I go for 2xist shirts at discount resellers for about $12 a three pack. If you decide to go this route size up, they shirnk a size.

Yes but don't get a v neck. The neck doesn't retain its shape at all.

Alfred_Newman

Reaction score
I always go with American Apparel. They also sell the 50/50 which fit a little bigger because they don't shrink as much.

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Adam + Eve tee's are $38. I'm sure they're nice but that's a bit nuts.

I'd love to get some of that Uniqlo stuff but there isn't one around here.

Everything I've heard about American Apparel leads me to believe that their shirts will fall apart after repeated wearings. Poor quality.

Never heard of C+C or Continental before this thread. Anyone have their wears?

qwerty

Reaction score
what's the quality on the uniqlo tees? I might get some when i go back to hong kong.
i don't think AA tees are that great, i'm a big fan of egyptian cotton or supima cotton tees, a company that has that is j. lindeberg

briancl

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've checked out a couple places, but I am not easily finding any tees for around 5-8 dollars each. Do some people have their own wholesale accounts at AA? Someone even quoted $4.90/ea. That's a fantastic deal, but non-reproducible as far as I can tell.

xchen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
American Apparel tees are 5.90 each at wholesale for the regular ones. Thermals are I think 10 and long sleeve tees are 9.50. Organic tees are 7.05. These are the only wholesale prices I know for AA.

constant struggle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Uniqlo has too high of a neck on their tees
i prefer AA...

I also find uniqlo to be somewhat thinner

hermes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
the uniqlo pantone series t-shirts that i picked up in japan are thicker cotton (in comparison to aa t-shirts, to me at least), not thin at all, and have that interesting shoulder yoke that makes it very form fitting

as mentioned above, yes, they do tend to sit higher in the neck though

adam t-shirts are nice, very thick cotton, washes and wears well
the one thing i don't like is that 'plus' symbol that is sewn onto the back at the neck area

.... if price isn't an option, schiesser and calida make t-shirts that rival hanro and zimmerli, but at a much lower price point, but still more than what you'll pay for aa or uniqlo and the like

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads