• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

who makes a superior watch--

Horace

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have been the proud owner of an Omega Speedmaster Professional for 8 years, and have had no problems with it at all.

It is a classic design that gets admiring glances and comments from a few connoisseurs, but is ignored by the rest of society, which suits me fine.

I would recommend it over a Seamaster which has become too associated with Pierce Brosnan and the recent Bond rubbish, and as such is now a fashion item.
Many Swiss I know prefer, if they must buy a well-known watch, to go with the Omega, as reserved and good-value option. (sorry that was a horrible sentence I just wrote). 

That being said, I looked at them carefully, about 10 years ago in Zurich and found them okay. Some a bit too flashy for my taste.

And I believe the "Bond thing" was happening with Omega prior to 8 years ago.

TCN

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think you've gotten good advice here, but I can't help myself from adding my thoughts as well. Let me disclaim my bias, although my first real watch was a Tag Heuer, my current everyday watch is an Omega Seamaster and I'm very happy with it.

Both Omega and Heuer fall into that mid range category of watches, where they are clearly good pieces but do not inspire WIS's to drool over their inner workings (with the possible exception of some of the co-axial escapement Omegas). I group new Rolex's into this group as well FWIW.

The Omega Speedmaster is a design classic, no doubt about it, and the movement is good. While it's true that Omega uses base ETA movements, they do a fair amount of upgrading and finishing. Caution, some people have found the manual plastic crystal original "moonwatch" Speedmaster to be inconvenient for their lifestyles.

I think on certain watches, Omega has distinguished itself by producing a case, refined movement, dial, and bracelet that compete with watches that are twice as costly. I think the Seamaster Professional is such a watch.

Tag Heuer is a very good watch, and some of their retro issues such as the Carrera and Monacco are IMHO some of the most attractive watches being sold today. Their movements are solid, but will not inspire awe (again though, neither will most Omegas). Tag's external finishing has always left me a bit cold, but I think they do a nicer job on the previoulsy mentioned retro issues.

In sum, I think these watches are close enough to just pick the one you like; however, if you're really into what's under the dial, and think this could lead to more watches and a passion for watches, I think you'll find that you will be happier with the Omega over the long haul.

johnnynorman3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I suggest looking for a really good vintage Omega. I'm wearing one right now -- circa 1955, all original parts except for the strap. Winding mechanical movement by Omega (they used to make their movements in house, apparently. Beautiful piece, looked like it had been sitting in a jewelry box and well-cared for with twice a week windings and biannual oilings. I got it for under $400 at a vintage watch store closing; it was originally priced at under $1000, and I'd take it over a recent Omega or Tag any day.

Just my two cents.

That said, even as a Tiger Woods fan, I find Omega designs to be more understated and elegant than Tags. But I have a small wrist.

jonas

Reaction score
Omega is a very good manufacture. Althought they use simple and pedestrian movements, they have recently made many innovations in the watch industry. Regarding style, my personal favourite is IWC, which cheaper models are priced in the upper-omega range.

see timezone.com for brand discussions...

Horace

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think you've gotten good advice here, but I can't help myself from adding my thoughts as well.  Let me disclaim my bias, although my first real watch was a Tag Heuer, my current everyday watch is an Omega Seamaster and I'm very happy with it.

Both Omega and Heuer fall into that mid range category of watches, where they are clearly good pieces but do not inspire WIS's to drool over their inner workings (with the possible exception of some of the co-axial escapement Omegas).  I group new Rolex's into this group as well FWIW.

The Omega Speedmaster is a design classic, no doubt about it, and the movement is good.  While it's true that Omega uses base ETA movements, they do a fair amount of upgrading and finishing.  Caution, some people have found the manual plastic crystal original "moonwatch" Speedmaster to be inconvenient for their lifestyles.

I think on certain watches, Omega has distinguished itself by producing a case, refined movement, dial, and bracelet that compete with watches that are twice as costly.  I think the Seamaster Professional is such a watch.

Tag Heuer is a very good watch, and some of their retro issues such as the Carrera and Monacco are IMHO some of the most attractive watches being sold today.  Their movements are solid, but will not inspire awe (again though, neither will most Omegas).  Tag's external finishing has always left me a bit cold, but I think they do a nicer job on the previoulsy mentioned retro issues.

In sum, I think these watches are close enough to just pick the one you like; however, if you're really into what's under the dial, and think this could lead to more watches and a passion for watches, I think you'll find that you will be happier with the Omega over the long haul.
My fav. watch, of the sort we're talking here, is the Rolex Explorer -- the original model. So simple, no flash, all stainless. I saw an ad (c. 50's) for it. Very nice. You bums have gotten me interested in all sorts of things again, clothes, and whatnot. And I reckon my spending will go up in the next year.

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
You'd probably like Grand Seikos then
smile.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads