1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 10: A full set of Aesop's Fables pocket squares from Vanda Fine Clothing

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 10th auction of the year is for a full set of Aesop's Fable's pocket squares from Vanda Fine Clothing. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

who makes a superior watch--

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by The_Foxx, Jan 3, 2005.

1. The_Foxx

The_Foxx Distinguished Member

I'm looking at picking up a sport watch soon, automatic movement and pretty basic; the omega speedmasters and tag huer carrera twin time seem to be reasonable (retail for about $1500). Otherwise, i might take another look at the omega seamaster 300m, classic "Bond" style.

Can one of the watch gurus tell me who makes a better watch in this arena?

Thanks.

2. alaaro

alaaro Senior Member

I'm not really a guru, but I can offer my opinion. I bought a used (impossible to tell-not a scratch on the band or face) Tag WT1110 on ebay for $600 like 2 years ago and it has been great. Not a problem at all with it since, and the face is unscratched, despite the abuse I put it through.

I guess this is also a plug for used watches on ebay. I found a great seller, with a great product. Its a good way to get a nice used watch for a lot less than the stores.

3. Brian SD

Brian SD Moderator

Do you have the name of the seller still? I know I would like to check it out. I have been looking for a nice price on a nice used watch. A couple thousand eBay feedbacks mean nothing to me next to one feedback of a SF member.

4. Ambulance Chaser

Ambulance Chaser Distinguished Member

Omega, hands down.  Omega is a well-respected watchmaker.  TAG is a slick marketing outfit with no actual factory that outsources all of its production.

That said, buy the TAG if you like its looks better.  Unlike women, for watches what's outside is more important than what's inside.  Better yet, buy a vintage Heuer Carrera.

5. alaaro

alaaro Senior Member

To be honest, briansd, I have no idea. It was so long ago, and ebay records dont go back that far. Ill see if i can dig through some old email files, but I doubt I have anything.

There are some sellers with very high feedback ratings that sell a lot of used watches. Stick to those guys.

6. bigbadbuff

bigbadbuff Distinguished Member

Omega is better respected than Tag nowadays, for sure. But Omega being owned by Swatch, and using generic (but good) movements take away from that a bit if you're a watch freak.

I like 1 Tag style (Monza) but that's it. Omega wins in practically every area IMO. The Seamaster and Speeedmaster are terrific...

Ebay is a great place (surprise) for great deals on used Omegas.

7. Heron

Heron Well-Known Member

Omega without a doubt - particularly the Seamaster.

I did a fairly detailed comparison of Omega, TAG and Breitling - both from the review of how they are made and picking them up and comparing side-by-side the last time I was on Sint Maarten.

I ranked Breitling as the best, then Omega followed by TAG.

The TAG looked nice but I was amazed at how unsubstantial it was compared to the other two (if that counts for anything).

8. drizzt3117

drizzt3117 Stylish Dinosaur

Omega is owned by ETA, so it more or less has to use ETA movements. There is nothing wrong with the fit/finish of the automatic movements in their watches though, I've had a seamaster automatic for about 5 years with no issues.

9. kabert

kabert Distinguished Member

If you go with the Omega Seamaster (I've got one and love it) and plan to order one online, make sure to keep in mind that it comes in two sizes. I've got the bigger of the two and I think it's the better looking watch. I've also got the automatic, as opposed to the quartz/battery, version -- I like this alot too, as it means no batteries.

My brother used to have a TAG -- once he saw my Omega, he traded in his TAG and got an Omega for himself. As someone above said, the TAG looks less solid and more "sports-watch-like" than the Omega. Granted, that's a big generalization, as there are some very, very nice TAGs out there.

10. Nonk

Nonk Senior Member

I have been the proud owner of an Omega Speedmaster Professional for 8 years, and have had no problems with it at all.

It is a classic design that gets admiring glances and comments from a few connoisseurs, but is ignored by the rest of society, which suits me fine.

I would recommend it over a Seamaster which has become too associated with Pierce Brosnan and the recent Bond rubbish, and as such is now a fashion item.

11. Mike C.

Mike C. Distinguished Member

Tag... definately; because I own one.

12. doood

doood New Member

The Omega. It's a MUCH higher quality watch. I have a Seamaster and a Speedmaster Pro. Wouldn't ever trade it for a Tag.

13. drizzt3117

drizzt3117 Stylish Dinosaur

Umm, look at the tag that he is discussing, it's not a 2000 quartz, it's a carrera, which has exactly the same ETA 2890/A2 movement as the Seamaster... http://home.xnet.com/~cmaddo....t6.html The older carreras used zenith movements which are quite nice as well.

14. benchan

benchan Senior Member

Omega all the way, thought I concur that the design of Tag is a tad more modern and interesting(for certain models). Both Omega and TAG have equal slick marketing efforts. Both employ athletes, artists and the like to promote their products.

Between Seamaster and Speedmaster.....The former is more practical with its automatic movement and the use of Sapphire Crystal instead of plastic. The "moonwatch" has a manual winding movement.

For Seamaster, I wholeheartly recommend the Seamaster AquaTerra model followed by Bond.

15. MilanoStyle

MilanoStyle Distinguished Member

The only Tag like is Monaco leather strap models.