• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Who makes a good polo?

Arch Stanton

Reaction score
I recently bought a couple of the BB GF slim fit polo's that are pretty good. Their like 2 for $99 I think.

mossrockss

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
frankly, I'm interested in trying out the MTM polos at tailorstore.com

Until I do, I intend not to buy any other piquÃ
00a9.png
polo. For $25, it seems like a no-brainer if the quality is decent.

Downside of course is that you get an extremely limited choice of colors.

Mr. Moo

Boxercise Toughguy
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Cary Grant
Sunspel though choice is limited.

Interesting - never heard of them. Pretty good quality? Thick weave like RL? I like my polos a little bit on the thicker/heavier side.

Originally Posted by Arch Stanton
I recently bought a couple of the BB GF slim fit polo's that are pretty good. Their like 2 for $99 I think.

Thanks.

chorse123

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'm happy enough with J Crew's pique polos, usually around $20 to $30 on sale, though I've gotten a few around $10. I think "nice" polos are absolutely dreadful. It's a casual shirt, not a "business casual" shirt. Wear 'em to hell. Also, I don't like logos of any kind on polos, so that tends to be limiting.

Edit - these aren't thick/heavy, so probably not what you're looking for.

Steven Aver

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by chorse123
I'm happy enough with J Crew's pique polos, usually around $20 to $30 on sale, though I've gotten a few around $10. I think "nice" polos are absolutely dreadful. It's a casual shirt, not a "business casual" shirt. Wear 'em to hell. Also, I don't like logos of any kind on polos, so that tends to be limiting.

Edit - these aren't thick/heavy, so probably not what you're looking for.

RLPL are good if you do not want a logo.

anon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've been wearing JCrew for a while but they've never quite fit right for me.. I need a large tall, but I've always bought either a L (too short) or XL (too wide). Banana Republic are very slim-fitting.

I actually really like LL Bean's polos, especially for the price.

Gravitas72

Reaction score
+1 for JCrew.

Fit is fairly slim. Sleeves are the perfect length for me. Just short enough to show off a bit of bicep, but not so short that is screams, "Hey, check out these biceps!"

NOLA1

Reaction score
J Crew for sure. Great fit. I have 2 and got each for $4.99 on a sale + 30% off.

poelow

Reaction score
I'm a big fan of Brooks Brothers... Lacoste and regular Polo RL (not the pique cotton, those are good) would always get distorted/shrunk by washings. BB and RL piques are the only ones I wear.

Cary Grant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

mmkn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mr. Moo
Other than RL (I have plenty of those), who makes a good not-too-expensive polo shirt?

My favorite by a far margin in both design and fabric has to be Giorgio Armani's Black/Blue Label Polos. They usually come in neutral and subdued colors though. But then, it is Mr. Armani.

- M

Kei-bon

Reaction score
i see that no one has yet mentioned lacoste. i have to say, the ones i've bought here in the US fit like tents, but those from Japan fit very well. i particularly like the selection of colors. also, Uniqlo has some nice cheap, trim polos every summer.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Staff online

Forum statistics