• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Who makes a decent quality, lightweight merino wool sweater?

koalb

Reaction score
I've got a couple from various sources, some are better than others.

Anyone have a brand they really like, and hopefully doesn't cost more than $200?

NameIess

Reaction score
John Smedley is great and has a massive amount of different colors but their fit is hit or miss. Asket is almost on par with JS in quality but comes at lower price point and in more sizes and better fits. Asket don't offer v-necks or nearly the variety that JS does though and is very slow and deliberate with rolling out new designs.
I have 3+ year old and heavily worn sweaters form both of those brands and they all look almost brand new still.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
It's been many years since I've bought something from there, but I used to think Club Monaco had excellent sweaters for the price. So long as you stay away from cashmere, which is almost always bad at the lower-end of the price spectrum. But for things such as lambswool and merinos, I was impressed with how well their knits held up (again, this was like ten years ago, so maybe things have changed). I'd consider them "decent."

I also like John Smedley, but would consider them higher-end. Much better than just decent. I bought some knits from there about twenty years ago and they've also held up. the designs tend to be a bit classic and basic, but well done.

Stilig

Reaction score
Druhmor makes the best merino sweaters I've ever tried. Far better than Gran Sasso. They are probably a bit more than 200 dollars, but can easily be found at for instance Yoox.

Another fabulous option is Filippo de Laurentiis, which I find very good value for money. If you want a true budget option I do find Uniqlo to be very good value compared to for instance Gran Sasso.

BXpress

Reaction score
Yes, Gran Sasso is quite good. I bought 2 great V-necks for 80€ each. August is the best time to buy them on end-season sale. It is beyond me what is seasonal about V-neck designs but i'm not complaining.

usctrojans31

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Will second Druhmor but note that sizing can vary wildly. I don't know how many factories it contracts with, but it's clear that there are discrepancies between them.

Rastapopoulos

Reaction score
I'm looking for heavy-duty v-necks that can be worn 2x or 3x a week without losing their shape or piling excessively (I travel for work all the time and pack one sweater and wear the other while flying). I dress on the more conservative end of business casual, so no shetlands/Aran/etc.

High-end merino sweaters (John Smedley, Drumohr, etc) look fantastic but they are so finely knit that I'm concerned they wouldn't survive the daily grind. Are they more durable than cheaper brands?

Last edited:

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I picked up a sweater from the John Lewis shop at Heathrow 3 years ago.
Mine is a lambswool cashmere blend which I do not see on their website
now. It was under $100 and fits me better than some of my others that cost
double or more than what I paid.

Last edited:

EUtroll

Reaction score
I'm looking for heavy-duty v-necks that can be worn 2x or 3x a week without losing their shape or piling excessively (I travel for work all the time and pack one sweater and wear the other while flying). I dress on the more conservative end of business casual, so no shetlands/Aran/etc.

High-end merino sweaters (John Smedley, Drumohr, etc) look fantastic but they are so finely knit that I'm concerned they wouldn't survive the daily grind. Are they more durable than cheaper brands?

I've got a couple of merino jumpers from JS that must be close to 20 years old and they're still looking fine despite regular use.

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I cannot speak highly enough of UniQlo. At $30-40, a fantastic value and they hold up well....trust me.

coldbrew

Reaction score
I cannot speak highly enough of UniQlo. At $30-40, a fantastic value and they hold up well....trust me.
Cannot agree more. I have a few in different colours, roll neck ones too.

lawsong

Reaction score
I always recommend Minus33 for merino wool products. They have merino wool sweaters in 4 different fabric weights. Their lightweight sweaters range anywhere between $50-100, they're super durable and a can't miss deal especially when comparing them to their higher price point competitors.

DrewMill

Reaction score
Does anyone have experience with the BrooksTech merino or new Washable Merino from Brooks?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 38.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.1%

Forum statistics

Threads