• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Who make the best OTR/RTW pants?

donnghia

Reaction score
Hi guys, I'm new in Satorial world
As far as I learn from Styleforum, Kiton-Attolini-Brioni make the best OTR suit and jacket. However I have buy some vintage suit from Kiton and Brioni and although their jackets are outstanding, the pants is just not "That" good ! it fit very loose and make me look shorter !

So can you help me to buy out some makers that make the best OTR/RTW flat front pants or pleated dress pants? many thanks !

breakaway01

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
the best trousers are the ones that fit you. I know that might sound unhelpful but a blanket recommendation is impossible. Remember that slimming a trouser leg is an easy alteration. Vintage suits often are cut with more room in the leg than is currently fashionable. But don't slim the leg so much that the fabric does not hang properly.

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
the best trousers are the ones that fit you. I know that might sound unhelpful but a blanket recommendation is impossible. Remember that slimming a trouser leg is an easy alteration. Vintage suits often are cut with more room in the leg than is currently fashionable. But don't slim the leg so much that the fabric does not hang properly.

Hear hear! Fit is paramount. There are many great trouser brands out there but if they don’t fit your particular body type, then it’s useless.

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi guys, I'm new in Satorial world
As far as I learn from Styleforum, Kiton-Attolini-Brioni make the best OTR suit and jacket. However I have buy some vintage suit from Kiton and Brioni and although their jackets are outstanding, the pants is just not "That" good ! it fit very loose and make me look shorter !

So can you help me to buy out some makers that make the best OTR/RTW flat front pants or pleated dress pants? many thanks !

you should not be surprised. Your suits are vintage which means the trousers are likely a fuller, dare I say a normal, cut.

Unless I am not understanding your question, it sounds as though you want to find new, slimmer slacks to take the place of the current suit trousers. If so, you won’t be able to.

Also, Brioni, Kiton, et.al. Certainly make the more expensive OTR suits, but don’t conflate that with best.

donnghia

Reaction score
you should not be surprised. Your suits are vintage which means the trousers are likely a fuller, dare I say a normal, cut.

Unless I am not understanding your question, it sounds as though you want to find new, slimmer slacks to take the place of the current suit trousers. If so, you won’t be able to.

Also, Brioni, Kiton, et.al. Certainly make the more expensive OTR suits, but don’t conflate that with best.

Hi, so you guys think I should take a made-to-measure or custom pants, and avoid online-buying trousers/pants?

Since it is hard to find anything good that I can try-on now. Any tips to buy trousers online please, thanks !

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi, so you guys think I should take a made-to-measure or custom pants, and avoid online-buying trousers/pants?

Since it is hard to find anything good that I can try-on now. Any tips to buy trousers online please, thanks !

In general, I avoid buying clothing online unless I am absolutely, 100% sure of the fit (based On personal experience).

I’m not sure made to measure is really necessary. You need to try on different brands. I haven’t a clue as to where you live, but I’m sure there’s a department store or a men’s store you can go to.

donnghia

Reaction score
In general, I avoid buying clothing online unless I am absolutely, 100% sure of the fit (based On personal experience).

I’m not sure made to measure is really necessary. You need to try on different brands. I haven’t a clue as to where you live, but I’m sure there’s a department store or a men’s store you can go to.
Thank you,

any suggestion for <$500 brands I should try in store?

donnghia

Reaction score
like I said, it depends on what fits. At that price point, you have quite the range of options.
btw, talking about the fits, Do you have any source of guides for a perfect fit Jacket & Trousers?"
I mean how long/shortis considered as too long/too short, too roomy or too slim?

Sorry for my too much asking !

breakaway01

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You will want to find a good alterations tailor to take a look at your vintage suit trousers. They should be willing to tell you whether they will look good with alterations or whether the fit does not work with your body.
custom/MTM is no guarantee of a good fit. If you’re starting out, OTR that works with minimal/no alterations is usually a better bet. unfortunately trying on clothes is more tricky nowadays with COVID-19.

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
btw, talking about the fits, Do you have any source of guides for a perfect fit Jacket & Trousers?"
I mean how long/shortis considered as too long/too short, too roomy or too slim?

Sorry for my too much asking !

you’re asking good questions. It’s just that you’re asking the wrong people. You should be asking yourself after you’ve tried them on.

Your body is unique and you will look and feels different across a variety of designers. Much depends on how you feel when you look at yourself.

best to try on. Perhaps post some pics and others can give more objective feedback.

JJ Katz

Reaction score
You might want to see how trousers from the Armoury, Natalino fit you. One of the e Saville Row tailors sell very nice, expensive RTW trousers but I cannot recall which. Brompton would know.

Dadacantona

Reaction score
You might want to see how trousers from the Armoury, Natalino fit you. One of the e Saville Row tailors sell very nice, expensive RTW trousers but I cannot recall which. Brompton would know.
Anderson & Shepard sell RTW trousers

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 61 39.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 17.9%

Forum statistics

Threads