Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Who make J. Crew Cordovan Penny Loafers

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by boat_7, Apr 11, 2010.

1. boat_7

boat_7 Member

Hi

I notice that J. Crew sells Cordovan Penny Loafers (made in Italy). Does anybody know who makes them and how is the quality of the shoes?

Thanks,
    b

2. scribbles

scribbles Senior member

3. Cary Grant

Cary Grant Senior member

Try running a search before you open a new thread. Try asking here http://www.styleforum.net/showthread.php?t=157804

And if you atually searched the thread you'd find "cordovan" doesn't appear and "loafer" does twice and does not yield the answer.

4. ChicagoRon

ChicagoRon Senior member

They have a partnership with Alden. I doubt they would get cord pennies from another supplier
    And if you atually searched the thread you'd find "cordovan" doesn't appear and "loafer" does twice and does not yield the answer.
    Come on CG - 62 posts practically makes someone a mod

5. rebel222

rebel222 Senior member

They have a partnership with Alden. I doubt they would get cord pennies from another supplier

Hmm. Made in Italy. Alden? Don't think so.

The maker of the loafers is unknown, and they aren't shell cordovan.

6. ChicagoRon

ChicagoRon Senior member

Hmm. Made in Italy. Alden? Don't think so. The maker of the loafers is unknown, and they aren't shell cordovan.
    Wow..I'm blind or a very bad reader.

7. sfo423

sfo423 Senior member

8. makewayhomer

makewayhomer Senior member

can they really describe the leather as "cordovan" and then the color as "oxblood"? really weird if this isnt shell cordovan.

9. Eustace

Eustace Senior member

As an aside, I really like those classic Weejuns but not for 3 bills.

10. KObalto

KObalto Senior member

can they really describe the leather as "cordovan" and then the color as "oxblood"? really weird if this isnt shell cordovan.
    Cordovan= a particular color, shell cordovan=a particular leather in today's world. I had a really hard time explaining this to a guy at work who didn't understand how AE could charge an extra $200 for a different "color".

11. makewayhomer

makewayhomer Senior member

Cordovan= a particularcolor, shell cordovan=a particular leather in today's world. I had a really hard time explaining this to a guy at work who didn't understand how AE could charge an extra $200 for a different "color".

I understand that, which is why this description is really weird if it isn't shell cordovan.

if they describe the color as oxblood, then why mention "cordovan leather" if it isn't shell?

12. KObalto

KObalto Senior member

I understand that, which is why this description is really weird if it isn't shell cordovan.

if they describe the color as oxblood, then why mention "cordovan leather" if it isn't shell?

I know you understand, I just think J Crew is using the terms "oxblood" and "cordovan" interchangeably for a certain color.

13. videocrew

videocrew Senior member

There is an Italian factory that makes shoes for a lot of different fashion brands, J. Crew among them. They describe a variety of leathers as "cordovan" despite the fact that it is not shell. The brands then parrot it on their web sites, even though they know better. Billy Reid does the same thing with their roper boots.