• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

• Hi, we have updated our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy in anticipation of the upcoming new Calfornia laws, the CCPA. If you are a resident of California, these rights pertain to you. Thanks - Styleforum Team.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Who made the USA-made Polo-RL shoes way back when?

gza

Reaction score
I've got an older pair of Polo penny loafers that say "Made in the USA." My understanding is that currently Polo blue label shoes are made in 1 of 3 places: the 3rd world by sweatshop labor, Italy by some mysterious and perhaps changing maker, and England by Crockett & Jones. Anyone have some idea who produced the old American-made Polo shoes?

bengal-stripe

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
If they are hand stitched casual loafers, they probably came from the Ansewn shoe company in Bangor, Maine who folded in the late 90s.

I believe half of all the All-American loafers came from Ansewn.

JBZ

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure of the answer, but it probably depends on the age of the shoes, as well as their original retail price. Currently, of the high end American shoe companies (other than a couple of niche brands), only Alden and Allen Edmonds continue to manufacture in the U.S. However, several American shoe companies used to manufacture within the United States, including Sebago, Bass, Johnston & Murphy, Cole Haan, Sperry, and Florsheim. Of these, Sebago and Bass seem to be likely candidates (In addition to selling shoes under its own label, Sebago still does the basic, non-Alden penny loafer for Brooks Brothers, and Bass does the Weejun penny loafer (a Trad standard)). I suppose Alden is a possibility, but I've never heard of them being linked to Polo (which doesn't necessarily mean anything).

It's also possible that Polo used more than one American maker depending on the styles and price points of the shoes they were selling at the time.

JBZ

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bengal-stripe
If they are hand stitched casual loafers, they probably came from the Ansewn shoe company in Bangor, Maine who folded in the late 90s.

Bengal - do you know if Ansewn was historically linked to any of Bass, Sebago, or Cole-Haan (all of which were located or at least did some of their manufacture in Maine)?

NoVaguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bengal-stripe

Wasn't Ansewn's factory the Maine factory that AE bought in the late 90's? I'm not sure if they bought the company, but I think AE might have just bought the factory and kept some of the employees.

Teacher

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by NoVaguy
Wasn't Ansewn's factory the Maine factory that AE bought in the late 90's? I'm not sure if they bought the company, but I think AE might have just bought the factory and kept some of the employees.

I was just thinking exactly that. I'm 99.9 percent you're right, but wouldn't swear to it in court.

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How wide do you like your leg opening on your trousers?

• 7”

Votes: 49 16.2%
  • 7.5”

Votes: 105 34.8%
  • 8”

Votes: 91 30.1%
  • 8.5”

Votes: 33 10.9%
  • 9”

Votes: 12 4.0%
  • 9.5”

Votes: 7 2.3%