1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

who loves their lip balm?

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by vivalet, Jan 4, 2009.

1. why

why Senior member

It works, doesn't smell weird (kinda like the Peppermint) and doesn't leave a residue on my lips (which is the most annoying part of most).

Yup. I stand by my analogy. It's 'good enough'.

2. delayedReaction

delayedReaction Active Member

3. KFS

KFS Well-Known Member

Vaseline with aloe vera. In the small round tins.

4. indy116

indy116 Senior member

Burt's Bees stick a time or three a day, just enough to keep myself from going nuts from dry lips.

5. RVAduffer

RVAduffer Well-Known Member

Jack Black Lip Balm. It goes on heavier than Burt's Bees, so if you like your lip balm kind of, um, sheer, look elsewhere. I just don't like reapplying lip balm every hour.

http://www.getjackblack.com/jb/catal...0067680B&loc=c

+1 that stuff kicks ass

6. javierf1987

javierf1987 Member

Jack Black Lip Balm. It goes on heavier than Burt's Bees, so if you like your lip balm kind of, um, sheer, look elsewhere. I just don't like reapplying lip balm every hour.

http://www.getjackblack.com/jb/catal...0067680B&loc=c

I use it too. It's minty and dries quickly.

7. Spirit of 69

Spirit of 69 Senior member

I never use them. Because like all cosmetics and skin care products, they have a long-term detrimental effect, i.e. the skin gets used to them and ends up needing them.
    I wash my face in hot water, no soap. I have lovely spot-free, normal skin, not dry and not oily.
    I've now also gone over to a battery razor and find that it is much kinder to the skin. So no more shaving cream either.
    I stopped used aftershave and E de C several years ago.
    Obviously shower and hairwashing I can't avoid but I use a fragrance free simple and ecological
    shampoo and a shower oil as opposed to soap.
    Lips can look after themsevles in rough weather, mine do up here in Sweden.
    But once you start using lip-balms you break down the lips natural oils and resistance to cold and wet.
    Lip balm...no way...it's the slippery slope my friends.

8. unjung

unjung Senior member

Carmex. I have found that it does not have a long-term effect on my lips. Other types have caused my lip skin to almost slough off, which is disgusting. I am currently trying Burt's Bees as someone gave me some for Christmas but I'm not really a fan at this point.

I apply once every two days on average, I would say. Just when I can feel my lips coming close to cracking or peeling.

9. Listi

Listi Senior member

I use Burt's Bees, I have a chapstick fade in my jeans. I'm gonna buy a few more sticks so I have one in each of my jeans, it blows when you realize you forgot to swap your stick from one pair of jeans to the other. My town is very windy, my lips are disgusting right now just from forgetting it a few times.

10. ghulkhan

ghulkhan Senior member

I never use them. Because like all cosmetics and skin care products, they have a long-term detrimental effect, i.e. the skin gets used to them and ends up needing them.
    I wash my face in hot water, no soap. I have lovely spot-free, normal skin, not dry and not oily.
    I've now also gone over to a battery razor and find that it is much kinder to the skin. So no more shaving cream either.
    Obviously shower and hairwashing I can't avoid but I use a fragrance free simple and ecological
    But once you start using lip-balms you break down the lips natural oils and resistance to cold and wet.

try to find lotus leaves. crush them up into a paste and use them for your hair.

11. Thomas

Thomas Senior member

Yup. I stand by my analogy. It's 'good enough'.

sometimes 'good enough' is good enough.

Of course I'm being somewhat hypocritical because I have maybe 30 different shave creams and soaps from an effort to find what works best for me. Then again I don't shave my lips.

12. Spirit of 69

sometimes 'good enough' is good enough.

I have maybe 30 different shave creams and soaps from an effort to find what works best for me.

Why? Why 30? Why not content yourself with just 5 or 10?
    In my experience of 30 years of wet shaving they're all much of a muchness, so whether you try 10 or a 100, you'll still be looking for something better. [​IMG]
    The only thing that I found that was any different & gave a super close wet shave was a shaving oil by Robert somebody. A few drops on the wet face and apply blade. I'll post the name of it here if I can find it.

13. Thomas

Thomas Senior member

Why? Why 30? Why not content yourself with just 5 or 10?
    In my experience of 30 years of wet shaving they're all much of a muchness, so whether you try 10 or a 100, you'll still be looking for something better. [​IMG]
    The only thing that I found that was any different & gave a super close wet shave was a shaving oil by Robert somebody. A few drops on the wet face and apply blade. I'll post the name of it here if I can find it.

I fell victim to various acquisition disorders and Deals I Could Not Pass Up. I'm down to maybe 10 razors, a few which need restoration/new scales, so there's hope on that front. The good news is I've not bought any new shave creams/soaps in a year and don't forsee any outages until around 2041.

Please don't ask about my colognes, though. I may have enough to last well into my children's dotage.

14. Spirit of 69

Well I just remembered the name of the shaving oil, and it wasn't a Robert omsebody it was a David somebody, namely David Somerset. Somerset's shaving oil. Amazing stuff. I used it for
    much of the 90s. The only problem pre-internet was finding shops that carried it.

15. Francis91

Francis91 Senior member

burts bees or jack black for me

16. hermes

hermes Senior member

brave soldier - best gel like lip balm on the market

in the summer, i tend to use kinesys sport spf 30 lip balm

17. farfisa23

farfisa23 Senior member

Kiehls lip balm in the goody tube form or Blistex medicated in the 'lil blue tub.

I can't go a day without my balmz.

18. vivalet

vivalet Senior member

I find this interesting:

I use lip balm, but I am not addicted. I use it only after I brush my teeth, 2 or 3 times a day. Chapstick and carmex are drying, but that is why I don't use them. That is why I started this thread. I think the balm I use is uniquely wonderful, but unknown. I am very aware of the addicting nature of some of these over the counter products as I was addicted to afrin nasal spray in high school. heinous.

What is so funny to me is you feel you can't avoid shampooing. I only wash my hair with shampoo once every three or four months. Usually after travel. I agitate it in the shower daily, but with no soap. And my hair never smells or is oily. (Yes, others are in a position to tell me if it were so) It actually looks better, and falls more naturally, than it ever did when I washed it.

Moral is, I guess, in all likelihood, we don't need any of this stuff we use. But I like my balm.