• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Who looks better in a suit -- Obama or McCain?

Twotone

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Judging from this recent photo from the last debate, who best manages the Presidential look -- Obama or McCain?

Twotone

why4009

Reaction score
That isn't some sort of photoshop thing is it? Because if McCain really did that, well geesh, just a 70+ yr old kid.

Twotone

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No Photoshop -- real photo.

Twotone

goodlife

Reaction score
I thought they both looked good for yesterday's debate, although they were sitting at a table, so you could only really see lapels and shoulders. The only criticism would be that McCain's pinstripes did not make for good TV. I am sure they were fine in person, but they appeared bold and metallic, and were very distracting.

Did anyone else notice Obama was wearing a red tie and a flag pin, while McCain was wearing a tie with a blue field and no pin. If it wasn't for those pinstripes one might have thought the candidates switched parties based on wardrobe alone.

Zenny

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Obama gets his suits tailored.

What about McCain?

bluemagic

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
McCain walked in the wrong direction, and did a double-take. I do think it shows a startling lack of composure.

Chips

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Boy, I wonder how much that photo is going to make its rounds. A simple gaff will end up biting him **********.

Eccentric

Reaction score
The only credit I will give McCain is that he is more given over to wearing ties.

nmprisons

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Eccentric
The only credit I will give McCain is that he is more given over to wearing ties.

yeah, but man are his ties ugly

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
This is like asking who has the better economic plan.

Sprezzatura2010

Reaction score
I liked the shoulders of McCain's suit better.

RyJ Maduro

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mafoofan
This is like asking who has the better economic plan.
Except the answers are reversed.

While I don't care for Obama's style, metallic faux repp-stripe ties and the like, he certainly appears more polished, and his suits fit decently.

McCain's suits are rather bad, notably so even by a politician's standards; but I quite like a few of his ties. I do wonder if he has a hard time fitting his suits due to his injuries.

_44390720_mccain_thumbs_afp416.jpg

john_mccain_06032008.jpg

He also does the "business casual" look better than Obama, with proper blazers and tatersall sportshirts. Obama's dark suit and white-shirt-sans-tie look is atrocious.

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I'm not familiar with Senator McCain's history except that he was a POW in Vietnam, so I always wondered why his stance and posture seems a bit odd. Was it from injuries sustained in battle/captivity?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads