Who is the best dressed/ best groomed athlete?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Style guy, Oct 2, 2004.

1. discostu004

discostu004 Affiliate vendor

my salesguy at Korshak had alex rodriguez as a client and he said he was immaculate. always bought the best regardless of price, and it usually 60L kiton.

2. banksmiranda

banksmiranda Senior member

Tiger doesn't look particularly sharp in this suit: [​IMG] Look no further for pictures of ill-fitting clothes(primarily on athletes): http://www.troymcswain.com A-Rod a 60L? This is equivalent to a size 50 US, right? He's 6'3", 210. What size would you guess Barry Bonds needs(6'2", 228)?

3. VMan

VMan Senior member

"Look no further for pictures of ill-fitting clothes(primarily on athletes):" Hey Banks, What's wrong with this 6-button suit with the bottom button buttoned? [​IMG]

4. aybojs

aybojs Senior member

5. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

Tiger's suit looks crap, but he is accessorizing with an extremely hot girlfriend, which atones for nearly all sins.

6. Thracozaag

Thracozaag Senior member

A-Rod wears MTM Kiton.

koji

7. tdial

tdial Senior member

That picture of Tiger is unfair to him, because I believe it's from the opening ceremonies of this year's Ryder Cup. Hal Sutton, the American captain, outfitted all his players in that same suit. Don't know the maker, but Hal's no fashion plate. Also, I doubt the players actually had fittings for the suits, but rather submitted measurements and the suits were delivered to them earlier that week.

8. A Harris

A Harris Senior member Dubiously Honored

If my memory serves me, I read somewhere that Jordan has like 300+ suits.

9. T4phage

T4phage Senior member

The younger Evander Holyfield gets my vote.

10. discostu004

discostu004 Affiliate vendor

i was shocked at the arod 60L also but he told me that's what he was. he would do some off the rack and some custom, i guess depending on his whim. i know the 60L is correct b/c he told a story about arod having a bunch of stuff altered and it took him a long time to come get it all (during season) and i mentioned that if he just said "forget it" i'd take it and my guy said "he's a 60L"

11. hermes

hermes Senior member

james beattie, thierry henry, beckham, reyes, ljundberg, ..... and the lot generally dress well

jonny wilkinson, the english rugby player dresses well

being canadian, there are number of hockey players that dress just as well as soccer players but they're locked out right now so they don't count at the moment

f1 driver giancarlo fisichella and former f1 driver eddie irvine always dressed well but in a playboy gucci sort of way

as for golfers, adam scott does well in burberry and jesper parnevek in j lindeberg (formerly that charles howell the third wore j lindeberg for a few seasons and looked smart but he's now wearing something ordinary)

12. Phil

Phil Senior member

I dont consider those golfers who wear Burberry or JLindeberg to be stylish. Maybe they are, maybe they arent, but they are just wearing what they are paid to wear. The companies sent them the clothes, simple as that. There is no personal style involved. Take Charles Howell. Sure, he looked nice in JLindeberg, but now he looks ordinary in whatever he is wearing now. So was he well dressed then but not now? Hes just being paid more by some other sponsor now. If you want to talk golfers, there was no one more stylish than Ben Hogan. That man was the best dressed golfer, and in my opinion, athlete of all time. No logos, no sponsors. He wore custom made golf shoes from England, all his clothes were bespoke. He even went through the trouble of making sure all of his golf pants had a button fly, so that he wouldnt have to worry about a zipper snagging and causing embarrasment on the course. Bobby Jones and Walter Hagen are close on his heels though. You should check out the How I Play Golf series on the Golf Channel. Bobby Jones giving lessons back in the 30s. I watch it merely for the style, its awe inspiring.

13. hermes

hermes Senior member

i must say that phil is absolutely right

14. Thracozaag

Thracozaag Senior member

Ben Hogan and Bobby Jones were consummate gentlemen through and through.  What gorgeous swings as well.

koji

15. Phil

Phil Senior member

Ive been a Hogan fan since I picked up the game about 15 years ago. What an interesting guy. I just finished up the new biography of his life. It made me feel like I have done nothing with my life, after reading his story about failing over and over, only to nearly die in a car crash when he finally made it. Then, to come back again, crippled, to even higher heights. When I got older, I started to notice how well dressed he was. Ive read interviews that he prefered conservative clothes, cut to his specifications. If you want to see some great photos of Hogan, as well as Jones and Hagen, check out this site - http://www.historicgolf.com/page_list.cfm?categoryid=1 As for todays athletes, there isnt much to pick from I am afraid. I saw a nice GQ (I think) of Tiki Barber and Curtis Martin a little while back, and I thought they both looked good. Ofcourse, its kind of like what I said about the golfers, I dont know if they really chose those clothes anyway.