• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Who has love for black suits?

lasbar

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rgoldstein
I refuse to wear only blue and grey to work everyday. Thats ridiculously boring no matter who you are or how beautiful the suit in question is.

Besides, it isn't ESPN talking head shiny chocolate brown, and I don't wear loud ties or pocket squares with it. Its wool and its rather subdued, yet still different enough. Resembles this:

2.jpg

I've received some serious compliments from both male and female clients as well as my co-workers.
bigstar[1].gif

To be fair with you, we must be able to wear what we really want and like as long as we respect some elementary rules about colour coordination ,fabrics and etiquette.

We forget too often on SF the concept of sartorial happiness.

The rules book is evolving at the same pace than society itself making some old adages completely irrelevant.

The stripes will always make your suit more approprite for a business environment than a shiny solid chocolate one.

DutchDaedalus

Reaction score
I own a black unlined single breasted summer suit (mohair-silk-wool cloth) with patch pockets. Like it very much, versatile and very light, perfect for parties and more dressier occasions in the evening during summer.

columbia92

Reaction score
my problem with black suit is that it can be used in so many different occasions and the difference between a funeral black suit and a waiter black suit and a dinner party/red carpet black suit is so tiny it's really difficult to do it right.. That said, I would never wear a black suit to work or interview and I would never wear a navy suit to a party.

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by PMC83
Hello, long time lurker, first time poster. I have used the search function and read many threads and posts regarding black suits. I know how the majority here feels about wearing them to anything besides a funeral, but i'm wondering who (besides me) embraces the black suit? I work a pretty blue collar job and only really need a suit for the occasional wedding, or god forbid funeral. The only suits I have owned for the last 5 years have been black. Maybe it's because i'm such a big Johhny Cash fan.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with black suits!

Be careful to distinguish between a small minority here that make a lot of noise and the reality of the world. IF they were so scorned you would not be able to buy them. You can so....

acl1

Reaction score
If I'm not mistaken, I think black suits have become accepted as a wardrobe staple in at least the financial district in NY. It's actually a little strange to be swarmed with what seems to be hundreds of people in black or at least very deep charcoal gray suits.

laphroaig

Reaction score
I can't tell the difference between charcoal and black under artificial lighting, on a cloudy winters day or even in television or movies. I suspect a lot of people buy black because they think everyone they see is wearing black.

I don't like black on bright days because, like on a black car, it shows off all the flaws. You can easily see every piece of lint, every scuff and every mark, even the uneven texture of the material becomes obvious. Also every black is different, so if you end up wearing another piece of black clothing with the suit during the day (and black suit wearers tend to do this a lot) it becomes blatantly obvious that the pieces don't match and one will usually end up looking brown or not as saturated in comparison to the other.

cgo

Reaction score
I like black suit...just make sure the shirt is interesting and bright color then I think it is fine for wearing them on a daylight

lasbar

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by PNW Guy
I love black suits...but only after 6 pm.

I agree with you. Black suits are not appropriate in a business environment but they're ok for a night out , a drink in town or a dinner.

If you wear a great tailored fitted suit , you will never look like a waiter.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads