Who has love for black suits?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by PMC83, Jan 6, 2010.

1. jasonmarshalljazz

jasonmarshalljazz Senior member

now , a black pinstripe suit is a different story. i love those. you got to really know how to carry yourself to wear one of those.

alan flusser wears them all the time.

2. Bounder

Bounder Senior member

its 9 oz hopsack with envelope hip pockets,

A black hopsack suit?!? If Film Noir Buff does vanity searches, this could be the greatest train wreck ever!

[​IMG]

3. jasonmarshalljazz

jasonmarshalljazz Senior member

4. HHD

HHD Senior member

I've noticed a few relatively slim-cut black corduroy and moleskin suits recently which looked pretty good. It hasn't been my style for a decade or so (I've had a couple of black suits in the past) but these are the first I've seen in ages that I'd consider wearing.

5. imageWIS

imageWIS Senior member

I like it the black suit: IF done properly. Most people however mess it up, the same way they mess up suits of all colors.

6. SlamMan

SlamMan Senior member

Black suits aren't the worst thing in the world. Certainly not the worst thing I've seen on SF. Outside SF nobody would even notice. It's just that a navy or charcoal suit is so much more versatile and so much less harsh than black.

7. bowtielover

bowtielover Senior member

Maybe for a funeral but not much else and I know there are many others on here that have a hate for them as well.

8. billsayers

billsayers Senior member

I have no qualms in admitting that I prefer quality black suits as they are perfectly acceptable in Asian countries. Charcoal seems boring and navy is for old fogies with one foot in the grave.

Bring on the hate...

9. amplifiedheat

amplifiedheat Senior member

love black suits. if they are fitted correctly and you are slim and tall. other than that, it is not the best thing to go with, best to go with a dark grey solid.

What does height have to do with the color of a suit?

10. MyOtherLife

MyOtherLife Senior member

Can anyone post some photos of black suits that look great.
    I would like to see some examples of this done well.

11. luftvier

luftvier Senior member

I have no qualms in admitting that I prefer quality black suits as they are perfectly acceptable in Asian countries. Charcoal seems boring and navy is for old fogies with one foot in the grave.

Bring on the hate...

[​IMG]

12. ferguscan

ferguscan Senior member

Black lounge coat is awesome. Just don't wear it with black trousers. Black trousers are for the waiter.

Get yourself some houndstooth or cashmere striped trousers and wear them with your black lounge coat. Add an odd waistcoat in cream or dove grey and you will be the well-dapper man.

Stuart

13. PMC83

PMC83 Member

Thank you for the responses. Actually just went out and did a lil suit browsing. Im not looking to spend a ton of money right now so i was basically checking out the racks at a couple department stores.

I came across a dark blue textured, 2 button Joseph Abboud that seemed to fit me rather nice at first glance. Not sure how i feel about the texture though. Any opinions?

Also, I know this is a little of the topic from the original question but i hate to start a new thread being a newbie and all.

14. nyarkies

nyarkies Senior member

I like black suits as well and wear one.

15. alliswell

alliswell Senior member

Thank you for the responses. Actually just went out and did a lil suit browsing. Im not looking to spend a ton of money right now so i was basically checking out the racks at a couple department stores.

I came across a dark blue textured, 2 button Joseph Abboud that seemed to fit me rather nice at first glance. Not sure how i feel about the texture though. Any opinions?

Also, I know this is a little of the topic from the original question but i hate to start a new thread being a newbie and all.

If it fits and it's short money, go for it. What's the texture?