• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Who has a worse reputation? Doctors vs Lawyers...

michaeljkrell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My roommate who is a med tech was talking to a med student the other day at the hospital. The med student was studying to be a pathologist because he couldn't bring himself to work one on one with patients because of the way that insurance companies run the world of medicine, much to the detriment of the patients. He said that doctors better start to do something about this or people will start thinking of doctors as poorly as they do lawyers.

When I thought about it, I tend to put doctors and lawyers in the same class. I have met some very kind hearted doctors and lawyers (my grandpa was a judge and my sister is in her third year of med school), but my general view of doctors has definitely disintegrated in the last couple years to a point very similar to lawyers.

Thoughts??

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
Worse reputation is definitely lawyers. Although, in my limited experience, the reality is that they're pretty even.

tiecollector

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I used to be a sucker for doctors and allopathic medicine until I started finding out how brainwashed they are by the pharmaceutical companies. Not to mention the fact that most doctors really don't seem to know that much.

I still think lawyers are a little bit sleazier because many of the bad doctors are at least well-intentioned.

perusingnature

Reaction score
since when did doctors have bad reps? not even a question imo as society generally view lawyers negatively. on the other hand, styleforum has a lot of users who are lawyers so they may skew this poll in their direction.

Jumbie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by michaeljkrell
My roommate who is a med tech was talking to a med student the other day at the hospital. The med student was studying to be a pathologist because he couldn't bring himself to work one on one with patients because of the way that insurance companies run the world of medicine, much to the detriment of the patients. He said that doctors better start to do something about this or people will start thinking of doctors as poorly as they do lawyers.

Speaking as a medical student, I know way too many individuals who want to go into fields such as radiology, anesthesiology, etc. because besides the fact that those are high paying fields with reasonable hours and no call, they do not want to talk to patients. Maybe that's why that student wants to be a pathologist as well because I just did a 2-week pathology rotation that ended last week and I wanted to shoot myself in the head because it was so boring. There was another student there who wanted to go into pathology and he was one of the most socially awkward people I've met in a while. A sample of n=1 doesn't mean much but I thought I'd throw that in there.
nest.gif

As far as the insurance company thing goes, I would tend to agree. They have way too much say and their profits are what seem to dictate care rather than the best interests of the patients. It's complicated but they are largely responsible for the limited amount of time doctors get to spend with each patient and I know a lot of patient dissatisfaction stems from limited doctor contact.

Jumbie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tiecollector
I used to be a sucker for doctors and allopathic medicine until I started finding out how brainwashed they are by the pharmaceutical companies.

I disagree. There are some. I know one attending who doesn't believe in generic medicine for whatever strange reason. He prescribes brand name drugs to even his poor patients. It makes no sense to me. However, most I know actually really dislike big pharma and their drug reps.

Not to mention the fact that most doctors really don't seem to know that much.
Sadly true. I used to think docs knew what the hell they were talking about. Being immersed in the world, I've learned that's not true. Sometimes it's due to them just being a poor doctor and making bad decisions but, more often, it's simple because there's too much to know and while some things are very clear cut, many, many things are not. This is especially true of general practitioners such as internists and family docs. The more specialized you are, the more you can narrow down your list of differential diagnoses because the individual was referred to you because of a particular problem related to your field.

I still think lawyers are a little bit sleazier because many of the bad doctors are at least well-intentioned.
There is still the idea that medicine is a "noble profession". It's really not. Most people are primarily concerned with the income and/or status.

DNW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Lawyers definitely have a worse reputation. People associate doctors with healing, and lawyers with pain. Both perceptions are equally true.

beckett

Reaction score
Both perform vital services to the public, they should be lauded, yet people who are jealous of their intellect and qualifications mock them.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
As long as you have television commercials to sue the guy/girl that tried to heal you, it's going to be no contest.

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jumbie
Speaking as a medical student, I know way too many individuals who want to go into fields such as radiology, anesthesiology, etc. because besides the fact that those are high paying fields with reasonable hours and no call, they do not want to talk to patients. Maybe that's why that student wants to be a pathologist as well because I just did a 2-week pathology rotation that ended last week and I wanted to shoot myself in the head because it was so boring.

There's nothing wrong with this, BTW. One of my father's mentors liked to say "what you do isn't what you're good at, it's what you are." He had one classmate with all the physical skills to be a great surgeon but who lacked the big ego and the love of making split-second decisions in the spotlight. This guy became a radiologist and was probably better at that than surgery.

DNW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Piobaire
As long as you have television commercials to sue the guy/girl that tried to heal you, it's going to be no contest.

Is the cosmetic surgeon the medical profession's equivalent for the ambulance chaser?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads