1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was. I'd like to keep you abreast of the improvements we've made over the past few days.
    @notification emails have been added, in response to user requests

Attached images are now Full Size by default

Users are now all allowed three (3) links in their signature files,

SSL certification is now in place so you can all browse securely.

The server has been reconfigured so that site speeds will improve.

Notice: Right now the site is slow because we are fixing all the images from the past 4 months. Many of you noticed that these were missing, and we are fixing that problem now. Unfortunately, it is taking up a lot of resources and causing the site to be slow.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Who dresses better: Europeans or Americans?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by thefashionist, Dec 5, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. itsstillmatt

itsstillmatt Senior member

+1 - The great style of Europeans is a forum myth.
    Nah, it is a myth that exists everywhere around the world, not just in forumland.

2. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

On average, Europeans.

There's horrible dressers everywhere but I prefer trashy fitted Euro-trends over gym shorts, sneakers, and loose hoodies any day of the week.

Yeah..you need to follow my link above.

3. lasbar

lasbar Senior member

This debate is absolutely rubbish ....It only depends on the person...

Sator ,le Printemps or Les Galeries are department stores and in France ,luxury brands have generally their own outlets where they do sell their products...

I can find you Brioni ,Kiton or anything you want but more in the 8th district..

Come with me and i will bring to Dimitri Gomez,Aubercy ,Delos,John Lobb bespoke,Corthay,Berluti bespoke and so many others workshops that you will not find anywhere....
    Worshops like Chanel,Cifonelli,Lanvin,Hermes and so others...

We are all talking bullshit...Savile Row does not represent the average English lad the same way that Isaia or Brioni is on on every Italian or American shoulders...

You will find everywhere people with taste ,people with money ,people with both and also a vast majority of people who do not care at all...

4. Roland Loden of Germany

Roland Loden of Germany Senior member

When speaking on the average Germans dress better than French and English, who dress better than Italians who dress better than Americans who dress just above the Greeks. I do realize that I have omitted many other countries but not out of ignorance of how they dress but over certain cultural sensitivity.

5. KBW

KBW Senior member

I've travelled through most of Europe and spend a lot of time abroad and the few places I live in the US and the people I'm around dress much better than the Europeans. The US like someone mentioned above keep the markets open and available for a lot of the nicer clothes you'll see coming from the other countries.

6. alliswell

alliswell Senior member

Best dressed of all - Europeans, in America, wearing European clothes. [​IMG]

7. texas_jack

texas_jack Senior member

8. jpeirpont

jpeirpont Senior member

I say Americans,specifically those in NYC. I'll probaly be laughed off the forum, but, I think Black Americans are the best dressed group.

9. Teacher

Teacher Senior member

Both. Neither.

10. babygreenspots

babygreenspots Senior member

At least in the US, if you can't afford Brioni etc you can look for the Canali, Corneliani or Isaia on sale. In most places in Europe or Australia you often struggle to find these labels, which are almost ubiquitous in the US. Even Ralph Lauren stores carry a better range of quality stuff in the US - especially RLPL items. If you are lucky you might even have a J. Press store nearby too. Failing that, your local Brooks Brothers store can be counted on to have a Golden Fleece suit you can pick up during the sales. Also I did specify that I was comparing my professional peers, rather than the man on the street.
    The "professional peers" point is the key one here and it is totally related to income. If you're discussing sticking to the traditional rules, buying expensive (and nice) clothing, and having consistent style, Americans working in law firms and wall street are at the top of their game. For the average guy, or the one trying to achieve a more unique aesthetic effect, Europeans win. Americans care a lot about quality and durability, whereas Europeans often prioritize the look. I rarely meet a really badly dressed Scandinavian guy. Germans, well, yes a lot of black jeans and clunky shoes, but Berlin is so much more interesting stylistically than, say, Chicago. Paris and London can rival New York in street style without a problem - though the shopping may not be as good. English men in general pay more attention to their looks and the high street stores there (topman, reiss, etc. as well as more obscure brands) are so much more interesting than Banana Republic, Gap, etc. Oddly, I think Americans pay more attention to the perceived status of the item and Europeans care more about the style, color, etc.

11. hossoso

hossoso Senior member

This thread is asinine, a perspective on style at SF completely relies on conjecture and subjective opinions shared amongst anonymous posters.

edit: m_wave, you are either very young, sheltered or poorly informed. That isn't your picture in that avatar is it?

12. Teacher

Teacher Senior member

Haha

Americans would have to be among the most pooly dressed nation in the world. In addition to this I really don't feel that America has influenced anything decent in terms of fashion. The world looks to Europe for it's sartorial excellence.

uhh

Hahahaha!

13. Sator

Sator Senior member

Sator ,le Printemps or Les Galeries are department stores and in France ,luxury brands have generally their own outlets where they do sell their products...

I can find you Brioni ,Kiton or anything you want but more in the 8th district..

Come with me and i will bring to Dimitri Gomez,Aubercy ,Delos,John Lobb bespoke,Corthay,Berluti bespoke and so many others workshops that you will not find anywhere....

I know Paris a bit too, so I have visited a few of those places and they are wonderful. England and Italy have their fair share of niches boutiques too. But if you go to New York you can easily find Brioni, Kiton etc in many department stores. High end labels are all over the place, and you cannot but help run into them without having to look for some obscure boutique. Even Filenes Basement in Boston was full of Oxxford, and Luciano Barbera on sale. From I have read on this website, NYC has more bespoke tailors than Paris too, even if you exclude the numerous visiting tailors from abroad.

14. J'aimelescravates

J'aimelescravates Senior member

My somewhat diplomatic answer is as follows: There are good and bad dressers everywhere. We can and should all learn from each other.

15. scruff

scruff Senior member

a case study, perhaps -

America -
    [​IMG]

France -
    [​IMG]

England -
    [​IMG]

Spain -
    [​IMG]

that's all for now.

16. LARon

LARon Senior member

uhh

+1

17. Orsini

Orsini Senior member

...American tourists here stick out like sore thumbs and it's a constant source of amusement...
    Could you possible suggest a few of the most egregious things for Yankees visiting Europe to avoid? If I ever get over there again before I go the Celestial Haberdashery I do not want to look like a rube.

18. Viktri

Viktri Senior member

Pretty sure the answer varies depending on where you live and what you're normally accustomed to.

For me, from Canada, travelling Britain/France and doing some schooling in London, I would say the Europeans around downtown London were much better dressed than I was accustomed to. The Americans and I would wear polos, short sleeved button ups, etc all w/ sneakers (these were smart well-off kids attending Harvard, Yale, etc who were really nice (and very rich) and paid most of the rounds @ the clubs) and the Europeans had their blazers/sports jackets and fancy clothes and such.

I didn't even know sports jacket were for casual wear until I went there and noticed people wearing them.

19. lasbar

lasbar Senior member

This debate is farcical....Americans or Europeans do not have the monopole of elegance or what we do perceived as sartorial elegance..

We do have certain cultural sensitivities but a fashionista from New-York or Boston has nothing in common from a trailer park redneck and they're both Americans...
    A Parisian or a Mayfair dandy has nothing in common with a chav or other tracksuited monstruosity...

My shoes and shirt are French,my suit is Italian and i do live in England....if you see me walking in Mayfair ,you do not know that in reality i'm as English as a camembert...
    People travel ,live abroad ,mix more than ever ,making this debate even more idiotic...

20. stickonatree

stickonatree Senior member

apples and oranges people, apples and oranges.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.