• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Who do  you dress for?

Lydia

Reaction score
I dress for all the fashionable people I don't know, whose opinion doesn't matter, and whom I would probably hate if we ever met.

But, I never see anyone fashionable anyway, so I've barely showered or shaven over the last couple of months.

Bradford

Current Events Moderator
Reaction score
I suppose I dress for myself and for the compliments I get from my wife and co-workers.

Unfortunately, it's a dangerous road because once you've established yourself as the stylish guy at work and in life, you have to constantly dress nicely. If I were to just throw on a pair of ill-fitting pants and an ugly wrinkled shirt, people would assume there was something wrong with me or my marriage...

Bradford

johnapril

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I dress because of original sin. Getting Kiton to do bespoke in figleaves was a bear.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I think there's a divide between those single (who may still concern themselves with the opinions of others) and those long married (who dress for themselves). My wife has no interest in my clothes (only in hers). It's easier to have your own separate financial resources for purchases-you really don't want to have discuss each purchase with your spouse.
when I was single my friends used to push me to dress down for dates, I would go out from work in a suit and I was a little "intimidating". I did adopt a more casual uniform for dating - I would usually wear a tee shirt and a solid color 3 botton dark suit - but I am happy that I found my wife, who likes the way that I dress.

familyman

Reaction score
I'm a stay at home dad, but I still dress for my 'work'. When my wife comes home I want to present her with a hot meal, a clean house, two happy kids, and a nice clean well dressed husband. This was particularly hard for the first 6 months with each of the children and its only been since the second was over a year old that I've been getting where I want to be as far as dressing. Of course, the dinner, the clean house and the happy kids were and still are the priorities over my personal appearance.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sometimes for the occasion (weddings, funerals, meetings with people who give us money), but mostly for myself - I work in my office all day, and except for my buddy who takes most of the pictures I post, no one would know (or possibly even care) If I wore longjohns and a "Naked Bong Hits" tshirt all day. I, on the other hand, would probably get a little chilly.

My friends generally don't care. The few that do ask me for tips and calrifications, such as "Well, semiformal means black tie, but IO know George and Joanne, and it is unlikely that's what they meant. Better phone them and find out for sure."

As for my fiancee? She generally asks for my advice, and the amateur personal stylist in me loves it. Plus, she's a jeans and sneakers type of girl too; so I try to keep her in the freshest stuff (for example, she was wearing Rock and Republic long before I saw anyone outside LA and NYC with those jeans, and she wears a Baltazar belt I gave her as a b-day gift.)

Carlo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Familyman - that's real work :) More men need to bust that whole stereotype... Having done the single parent thing I respect ya.

As to my dress it depends but I definately find myself looking for any/all good excuses to wear ties. My tastes have expanded a great deal over the past few years. Back when I was in business attire every day it was conservative bordering on stuffy, now I figure I can get away with wearing whatever I want. I'm not successful enough to be considered eccentric yet but I am slowly crossing over into being 'one of those creative types'.

All in all I'd say I dress 30% for me, 70% for Jill. Jill has a major fabric fetish and I get hugged more wearing cashmere - easy call.

...For those attending in New York I apologize in advance, I promise she is fondling your suit and not harassing you.

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
(imageWIS @ Feb. 22 2005,06:51) I dress for the other voices in my head.
laugh.gif
I'd hate to hear those talking to one another when you're in front of your closet trying to decide what to wear today. MtB
They never agree on anything.
wink.gif
Jon.

Fabienne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Familyman - that's real work :)  More men need to bust that whole stereotype...  Having done the single parent thing I respect ya.
Absolutely. I know two men who are stay-at-home dads (they resume other activities when their wife comes home and takes over).

charle

Reaction score
Hmmm, who do I dress for?

When outfitting my wardrobe, I often ask "would this article violate a sartorial tenet and how best can my expression be seen within "˜that frame?" After all, dressing is an art is it not? Thus, I dress rules first and self second.

Will

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I dress for myself, with respect for the time of day, circumstances or occassion.

My wife doesn't know what it costs but I know she has a general idea. She assumes that any trip I take to New York or London is for a fitting.

Of course, I do sneak fittings in from time to time.

Will

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
She assumes that any trip I take to New York or London is for a fitting.
Heh. I have the same problem. "Dear, I know the ticket says Heathrow, but I'm really going to Minsk. It's just a layover. Honest."

LondonCalling

Reaction score
Myself - I don't think anyone else cares really. At best, my lovely wife is mildly amused by my eccentricities, but for the most part she tries to ignore them (exception; ascots - those she openly dislikes).

My work colleagues are mostly dressed by their wives - and it shows. I've been working in banking for the majority of my career and I am amazed at how poorly my contemporaries have always dressed (even before business casual). I recall a thread several weeks ago that discussed how New York investment bankers (and Wall Street in general) dressed. In my experience, most dressed far below the standards espoused on this forum. Off the rack $500 suits paired up with a Hermes tie (purchased by girlfriend) and their one and only pair of black AE Park Avenue cap toes (polished once a quarter when they happened to be in the office at the same time the shoe shine guy made his rounds). As our careers progressed, the endless hours of working, traveling and eating calorie laden meals (when most people are experiencing REM) take their toll producing an ever expanding waist line. Thus, the $500 suit is replaced by an off the rack $800 suit. The tie is still Hermes (purchased by woman formerly known as girlfriend - since promoted to wife) and the shoes are the same unpolished (but worn out) pair of Park Avenues.

Case in point; yesterday evening I had dinner with a friend of mine. He is the number 1 ranked equity analyst in his sector and region (not disclosed). As we were waiting to be seated I noticed two things about his appearance; his terribly wrinkled suit has missing buttons on each sleeve and his shoes - unpolished Park Avenues - had flattened toe boxes, curled up to point of being classified as elf issue. This is a man whose insight and intelligence I respect greatly. But the simple truth is he just doesn't care about his clothes.

So does it matter to me that many people consider sartorial dress a 19th century costume that adds nothing of substance?

No.

I dress the way I do because I have my own standards - eccentric as some may be.

misterbowles

Reaction score
Unfortunately, it's a dangerous road because once you've established yourself as the stylish guy at work and in life, you have to constantly dress nicely. If I were to just throw on a pair of ill-fitting pants and an ugly wrinkled shirt, people would assume there was something wrong with me or my marriage...

Bradford
So true. (Except for the marriage part; I am terminally unattached...) However, these are two crosses I am happy to bear for the moment.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads