• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Who decided that this is acceptable?

Brian SD

Reaction score
Wow, if I knew how much wearing a tie with flipflops and cargo shorts offended people (5 pages of people saying they hate college students seemingly on the basis of their dress.)... It's just surprising. When I lived in the dorms, I would wake up 5 or 10 minutes before class, walk there in my PJs for my 7am classes, then come back and go back to bed. Now I actually dress up for class (meaning I actually think about what one or two shirts I will be wearing on the basis of what coordinates well, not what doesn't smell too horribly).

I agree with Shoreman, we're just screwing around - it sounds absolutely and utterly paranoid to think that people dress a certain way to piss off the older people. That's rediculous.

I'm glad to say that I love college, I love hanging out with college students, and the pseudo-freedom of working a part time job and going to school with classmates and faculty who actually care about their jobs and education. I look forward to travelling and even greater freedom that awaits post-college years, but I'm only dedicating 50% of my willpower to preparing for the future. The other 50% is for having a good time, as good times are readily available (especially in San Diego, the city with the highest concentration of college students in the country).

Aaron

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wow, if I knew how much wearing a tie with flipflops and cargo shorts offended people (5 pages of people saying they hate college students seemingly on the basis of their dress.)... It's just surprising. When I lived in the dorms, I would wake up 5 or 10 minutes before class, walk there in my PJs for my 7am classes, then come back and go back to bed. Now I actually dress up for class (meaning I actually think about what one or two shirts I will be wearing on the basis of what coordinates well, not what doesn't smell too horribly).
I live in residence too and I used to role out of bed 15 minutes before an early class started but I would always make an effort to put jeans on at least. I don't really have a problem with people showing up for an early class in pj's. However, there was one guy that used to show up for an 12:30 class in pj's every class, that annoyed me. Â
(especially in San Diego, the city with the highest concentration of college students in the country).
No wonder there were so many amazing looking girls strolling around when I was there... A.

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by hopkins_student,April 18 2005,21:04
I can't wait to no longer be a college student. I hate college students.
You're crazy. You have no idea how good you have it.
Contrary to what seems to be popular opinion, I am right there with you, hopkins_student. I wanted to go to college and do what I'm doing for as long as I can remember. But I've finally won the war over myself; I can make the admission -- I hate college. It is pickling me in a brine of disgust, inanity and hypocrisy. I am afraid that I lose some of my humanity every second I'm there.The best part of my day is when I leave. Someone here said "All the vacuousness of high school students without any of the restraint." Amen. Amen. Amen. Walk tall, hopkins... Regards, Huntsman

odoreater

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I dressed like an idiot in college (and still do it from time to time now in law school) for two reasons: (1) it was more comfortable and (2) to piss off the squares. And, it looks like it works.

I may be working in a law office soon and wear a suit and tie ever day, but deep down inside there will always shine a glimmer of punk.

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
...all I can say is that when you give engineering and hard sciences undergrads 7 full load courses a semester (nominally 63 hours/week, but homework generally made the week even longer for most students), and start classes at 8 a.m., you reap what you sow.

Personally, I long for the days I never experienced, when undergrads apparently had so much time on their hands that they had to resort to all sort of shenanigans in order to keep busy, and not everyone was scrambling to get "A's".

Right on LAG; once I looked so bad showing up for a 7:40 am class (8 days of beard, ratty jeans, holy old jacket, red eyes) that a bank refused to serve me on the way home.... But then again I usually look pretty good.

I'm at a party school, so when people hear where I go to class, they get that 'knowing' look, not realizing that the Sciences are not Gen. Bus., not realizing that all I do outside of responsibilities at home is homework, group projects, special projects, and independent study projects.

All the same, I do think some of the kids could make an attempt to look halfway decent some of the time....

It being 4/20, I wonder what tomorrow will bring...

Regards,

Huntsman

Matt

ex-m@Triate
Reaction score
but deep down inside there will always shine a glimmer of punk.
yeah, I'm 10 years out and still keep that glimmer alive in me too.

The hair isnt blue anymore, but Im glad Im the sort of person for whom it once was

rdawson808

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by odoreater,April 20 2005,22:17
but deep down inside there will always shine a glimmer of punk.
yeah, I'm 10 years out and still keep that glimmer alive in me too. The hair isnt blue anymore, but Im glad Im the sort of person for whom it once was
You could do what I do--ink and piercings. They're hidden under the Burberry suit and CT shirts but those that know me (not the students generally unless they catch me in shorts which is rare) know about them. bob

mrgoblueguy

Reaction score
I am a conservative student and dresser at a super liberal college and am tortured by seeing things like that all the time. I am just glad to be graduating next spring.

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
(Huntsman @ April 21 2005,00:30) It being 4/20, I wonder what tomorrow will bring...
I did see quite a few tie-dye shirts, flip-flops, and parody t-shirts today.
I saw a higher-than-average number of empty seats...especially in the morning classes. No parody Tshirts, though I would probably have actually liked that... Regards, Huntsman

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by hopkins_student,April 19 2005,20:55
No, not at all. Â I am quite ready to get out there and start earning my keep. Â Only four more years until that sort of happens.
For better or worse, you should enjoy med school. Â As a med student you will enjoy combination of prestige and lack of responsibility that you will never see again in your life.
What? Â In my experience, professional school (I went to law school, but I can't imagine med school would be that different) is all of the work of college, with none of the fun.

JBZ

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What? In my experience, professional school (I went to law school, but I can't imagine med school would be that different) is all of the work of college, with none of the fun.

I've got to agree here, as a fellow law school graduate. I made some good friends in law school, and we went out on the weekends. However, the level of responsibility was much greater than in college. The study hours were longer, the teaching methods were more intense, the grading was done on a curve (fun.), and, generally, the student body was very uptight.

I can't speak for med school, but I have a good friend who went through the experience. He said that the saying in his med school was, "No pain, no gain...and boy are you gonna gain."

smartie_addict

Reaction score
So, kind of on the original question, where does jeans and a sport coat fall on the list (consisting so far of suit obviously at the top and sport coat with tie and shorts at bottom..)? How about jeans and a sport coat with shirt and tie?

I'll already admit I've done both of the two latter, but I am still also a college student and see no need to be too proper. Hell, like so many others, wearing a sport coat or tie at all is "dressed up" regardless if jeans are on the bottom or not.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 38.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads