• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Who decided that this is acceptable?

johnw86

Reaction score
I'm surprised by the responses here. I doubt the college kids think tie w/ shorts is acceptable business wear, they're just screwing around. It certainly isn't "proper," but I don't see anything wrong with it.
As a professor, let me just note that they're doing it to mess with those of us who are older (and easily offended by stupid stuff).

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
College kids don't even dress using good common sense,let alone with proper style.I live near a large university,and I can be walking up the street on a Winter day bundled up because it's 20 degrees out with snow and ice on the sidewalk,and I see at least one student in shorts and flip flops walking along unfazed.My theory is you're guaranteed to see this attire at least once every day regardless of how brutally cold it is.They're often on bicycles peddling along as if it's the middle of the Summer.I'll never understand it. Â
eh.gif
I knew a guy in high school who, on a bet, wore shorts and sandals for a full year - never a pair of socks, never long pants. we lived in a place with pretty good weather, but we had maybe 50 rainy days and at least 50 days below 7-8 degrees celcious, maybe 5 days hovering around freezing.

rdawson808

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was going to school at Virginia Tech in the late '90s and it was a sartorial wasteland, even moreso now. I think it's the case at most colleges.

There's a tendency to want to dress "preppy" without the obvious grooming and comfort sacrifices involved, so here comes this look.

I think it's abhorant. At least buy some topsiders or blucher mocs if you're doing the look, for goodness sake.
Good lordy how many of us were at Virginia Tech then? I was a doctoral student at the time, though (AgEcon and Econ). I hated B-burg.

I now teach at a small liberal arts college in Maryland. We see that same sort of style. In fact, at a recent visitor's day I say a guy in a seersucker jacket, a pastel polo (ccllar up), and khakis. He may have had a hat on too. He will fit in nicely with many of the neo-preppies we have here. Luckily (?) most of the students here are typical college kids and wear jeans and t-shirts most of the time.

But I think this is a very mid-atlantic thing. Or maybe it's east coast. The one year I was at Whitman College in Walla Walla, Wa (a very very good liberal arts college) there was no preppy style at all. These were very much kids concerned with the world and their studies and when they dressed up it was in a very vanilla sort of way (unless they were rich in which case it was just over the top, but not preppy).

Ahhhh, 30 more years of following college styles ahead of me.

bob

norcaltransplant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No, not at all.  I am quite ready to get out there and start earning my keep.  Only four more years until that sort of happens.
Enjoy college.  People are much too spread out across the continent and world for that matter once you graduate.

By PHV,
O, do medical students somehow operate on a higher intellectual/cultural plane than us lowly "college students"?
The wannabe surgeons believe they do.  And the real orthopedic surgeons believe themselves to be one hip replacement away from deification.

by H_S:
I can't wait to no longer be a college student.  I hate college students.

edit: I do not consider medical students to be "college students".
No, medical students are closer to high school students.  I still used "Oh Oh Oh to touch and feel a virgin girl's..." at the end of my standardized H&P exam just to make sure I didn't miss anything.

PHV

Reaction score
No, not at all. Â I am quite ready to get out there and start earning my keep. Â Only four more years until that sort of happens.
Enjoy college. Â People are much too spread out across the continent and world for that matter once you graduate. By PHV,
O, do medical students somehow operate on a higher intellectual/cultural plane than us lowly "college students"?
The wannabe surgeons believe they do. Â And the real orthopedic surgeons believe themselves to be one hip replacement away from deification. by H_S:
I can't wait to no longer be a college student. Â I hate college students. edit: I do not consider medical students to be "college students".
No, medical students are closer to high school students. Â I still used "Oh Oh Oh to touch and feel a virgin girl's..." at the end of my standardized H&P exam just to make sure I didn't miss anything.
Yea that is true about surgeons. They are the cocky ones. A lot of oncologists have saviour complexes as well.

VMan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
(shoreman1782 @ April 20 2005,06:08) I'm surprised by the responses here. I doubt the college kids think tie w/ shorts is acceptable business wear, they're just screwing around. It certainly isn't "proper," but I don't see anything wrong with it.
As a professor, let me just note that they're doing it to mess with those of us who are older (and easily offended by stupid stuff).
That's not it at all. I doubt that it's done to try and offend. It's just a trend (though I have yet to see it here) and while I wouldn't wear a tie with shorts, I guess it shows a little personal style and is much better than sweatpants or cheap jeans and a logo t-shirt.

gorgekko

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
HS, enjoy yourself, have a lot of sex, believe me, you will miss this time, later on in life.
At the risk of repeating what everyone else has said, I agree completely with globetrotter said. Trust me, you will miss these days and look back at them as some of your best. The working world, while it has its attractions, blows. For one thing, it's much more difficult to ******** with 22 year old blondes at 33 then it is at 23
smile.gif
Goodness...that was crude of me.

wja

Reaction score
No, not at all.  I am quite ready to get out there and start earning my keep.  Only four more years until that sort of happens.
For better or worse, you should enjoy med school.  As a med student you will enjoy combination of prestige and lack of responsibility that you will never see again in your life.

Dakota rube

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I actually tried to convince my nephew to forestall his December college graduation. At least until my sister elbowed me in the adam's apple.

I put a spreadsheet together once (I can't find it now, otherwise I'd include it) that pretty definitely proved it is cheaper (not to mention more fun.) to stay in college than to get out, get a job, start acquiring all sorts of nasty payments, etc.

newyorker

Reaction score
I didn't make the most out of my college experience. I studied my butt off, and I made Phi Beta Kappa. I guess I did what I did in those circumstances, but yes, I would do it differently if I could do it again.

Aaron

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I put a spreadsheet together once (I can't find it now, otherwise I'd include it) that pretty definitely proved it is cheaper (not to mention more fun.) to stay in college than to get out, get a job, start acquiring all sorts of nasty payments, etc.
As Van Wilder proved that can work...for awhile. I cringe at the thought of being 24-25 and still going to class, writing essays, and the like. University for me, has and still is, an amazing and exciting expereince. I've been very lucky to do it the way I have. But after awhile I definietly want new challenges and experiences.

A.

P.S.>Don't get me started on the kids that were pajama's to class...

gorgekko

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
P.S.>Don't get me started on the kids that were pajama's to class...
I was going to do that once. Then again, I drank a lot during my university days.

thinman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As Van Wilder proved that can work...for awhile. I cringe at the thought of being 24-25 and still going to class, writing essays, and the like. University for me, has and still is, an amazing and exciting expereince. I've been very lucky to do it the way I have. But after awhile I definietly want new challenges and experiences. A. P.S.>Don't get me started on the kids that were pajama's to class...
I teach at a university and I once had a guy in class wearing a t-shirt, pajama bottoms, and fuzzy slippers with cartoon character heads protruding up from the front.
omg.gif

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I teach at a university and I once had a guy in class wearing a t-shirt, pajama bottoms, and fuzzy slippers with cartoon character heads protruding up from the front.

Not being that far out of college (okay, about 8 and a half years, but who's counting) all I can say is that when you give engineering and hard sciences undergrads 7 full load courses a semester (nominally 63 hours/week, but homework generally made the week even longer for most students), and start classes at 8 a.m., you reap what you sow.

Personally, I long for the days I never experienced, when undergrads apparently had so much time on their hands that they had to resort to all sort of shenanigans in order to keep busy, and not everyone was scrambling to get "A's".

StevenRocks

Reaction score
Good lordy how many of us were at Virginia Tech then? Â I was a doctoral student at the time, though (AgEcon and Econ). Â I hated B-burg.
B-burg overall was really cool. Â I had some of the best days of my life so far there. Â But the clothing situation was horrible. Â All we had in town was Eagle Express (for jeans and boots) and Davidson's (for suits) with nothing really much else to speak of. Â You could go out to the NRV Mall, but the situation wasn't muc better unless you liked Tommy Hilfiger. I've been back a few times, and there ae NO menswear stores in Blacksburg anymore, except for an urbanwear store in University Mall. Â Those poor kids
sad.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 38.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.1%

Forum statistics

Threads