• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Who decided that this is acceptable?

hopkins_student

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Who told college students that it is acceptable to wear dress shirts (always French blue) with ties (yellow or navy), shorts, and flip-flops? I suppose that they should be commended for at least wearing long sleeve shirts, but a tie with shorts? Dear God. I've seen this twice in the last two school days.

Bergdorf Goodwill

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
College students are the worst. All of the vacuousness of high school students without any of the restraint.

hopkins_student

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
All of the vacuousness of high school students without any of the restraint.
Ha.

I can't wait to no longer be a college student.  I hate college students.

edit: I do not consider medical students to be "college students".

Bergdorf Goodwill

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
(orbitingio @ April 18 2005,18:01) All of the vacuousness of high school students without any of the restraint.
Ha. I can't wait to no longer be a college student. I hate college students. edit: I do not consider medical students to be "college students".
I am a college student right now, but I'm working my GPA up in a community college, so my concerns with other people's clothing are a bit more pressing. If the 55 year old non-trad student one row up's stretch pants break I might have to deal with the ensuing avalanche. And there's always the threat of that guy who's probably pushing 30 and wears some sort of "COLLEGE BEER LOL" (today's selection: "Take life with a grain of salt." courtesy of Jose Cuervo -- thanks, CoolDad.) type shirt every single day ever vomiting on my shoes or something.

newyorker

Reaction score
Who told college students that it is acceptable to wear dress shirts (always French blue) with ties (yellow or navy), shorts, and flip-flops?
The JCrew Catalog, Spring 2005, gave them permission to do that. Actually they weren't paying attention. If they did, they would have worn blazers too.

Matt

ex-m@Triate
Reaction score
i remember visiting at friend at Virginia Tech in 99 and being mortified by the look they were passing off as semi formal there.

Navy blazer, white shirt, rep tie - very trad but all fine - worn with cargo pants.

Who decided that was acceptable?

newyorker

Reaction score
The JCrew catalog featured this look on their front page. Seriously. The models wore the same blazers but different colored cargo shorts.

dorian

Reaction score
i remember visiting at friend at Virginia Tech in 99 and being mortified by the look they were passing off as semi formal there.

Navy blazer, white shirt, rep tie - very trad but all fine - worn with cargo pants.

Abercrombie, in 99, at least... Don't know about now...

Andrew V.

Reaction score
I like to wear shorts with blazers and ties around my yard, but never to school or around town.

hopkins_student

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think the blazer with shorts can maybe be done within one hundred yards of a beach, but the tie kills it.

Andrew V.

Reaction score
Well if you live in a J. Crew catalogue (which is my dream incidentally) I think there's alway a beach within a hundred yards or so.

newyorker

Reaction score
Well if you live in a J. Crew catalogue (which is my dream incidentally) I think there's alway a beach within a hundred yards or so.
Quote from Zgat Survey 2004 New York City Shopping: J.CREW "Conservatives" Crew-sing for the "perfect preppy fix" of "well-done", "white-bread" T-shirts, chinos, belts, sweaters, bathing suits and flip-flops gush "if I could die in a clothes store, it would be" in this "orderly, appealing" chain; "mellow colors" and "nice styles that stick arouund for more than one season" evoke "a drive through the country in a convertible with a dog in the backseat, a scenario that cosmopolitan style-mavens call a "snoozefest"; N.B. a new branch has opened in The Shops at Columbus Circle at Time Warner Center. Perhaps things are starting to make sense....

tgfny

Reaction score
I remember pulling a blazer, turtleneck, bermudas ensemble in boarding school- not a pretty sight.

Matt

ex-m@Triate
Reaction score
I think the blazer with shorts can maybe be done within one hundred yards of a beach, but the tie kills it.
if the weather is warm enough that you are at a beach and wearing shorts, why on earth would you need a blazer?

StevenRocks

Reaction score
I was going to school at Virginia Tech in the late '90s and it was a sartorial wasteland, even moreso now.  I think it's the case at most colleges.  

There's a tendency to want to dress "preppy" without the obvious grooming and comfort sacrifices involved, so here comes this look.  

I think it's abhorant.  At least buy some topsiders or blucher mocs if you're doing the look, for goodness sake.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Staff online

Forum statistics