1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Who decided that this is acceptable?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by hopkins_student, Apr 18, 2005.

1. johnapril

johnapril Senior member

Frankly, who cares?

2. PeterMetro

PeterMetro Senior member

You're crazy. You have no idea how good you have it.

3. hopkins_student

hopkins_student Senior member

No, not at all. I am quite ready to get out there and start earning my keep. Only four more years until that sort of happens.

4. Teacher

Teacher Senior member

I see that all the time. Here in the Great Frozen North (North Dakota...where, by the way, it reaches well into the 90's during the summer, just to clear up any misconceptions), the day it breaks 32 F in the spring is the day you see hordes of nineteen-year-olds in tanks and shorts. Some of those young ladies look rather fetching in those outfits...err, but I digress.... As for ties and shorts, that isn't too common around here. Strangely, I have begun seeing mismatched blazers, logo tees, and jeans lately, and that seems to be on high school students. Never seen that before. Go figure.

5. PHV

PHV Senior member

(orbitingio @ April 18 2005,18:01) All of the vacuousness of high school students without any of the restraint.
    Ha. I can't wait to no longer be a college student. Â I hate college students. edit: I do not consider medical students to be "college students".
    O, do medical students somehow operate on a higher intellectual/cultural plane than us lowly "college students"?

6. shoreman1782

shoreman1782 Senior member

I'm surprised by the responses here. I doubt the college kids think tie w/ shorts is acceptable business wear, they're just screwing around. It certainly isn't "proper," but I don't see anything wrong with it. I'd be more put off by a sophomore wearing suits to class, and the kid who takes the sorority formal too seriously (Armani suit guy) is always a tool.

I do see the side that kids taking cues directly from a catalog is stupid.

7. Ambulance Chaser

Ambulance Chaser Senior member

I'm with PeterMetro.  College is like the ozone layer; you don't miss it until it's gone.

8. stache

stache Senior member

Fashion is the prevailing mode in the specific time frame of a given location. 80 years ago the kids wore raccoon coats with unfastened galoshes. Which is worse?

9. globetrotter

globetrotter Senior member

HS,

enjoy yourself, have a lot of sex, believe me, you will miss this time, later on in life.

10. Matt

Matt Senior member

yeah you say that now [​IMG]

11. johnw86

johnw86 Senior member

As a professor, let me just note that they're doing it to mess with those of us who are older (and easily offended by stupid stuff).

12. globetrotter

globetrotter Senior member

I knew a guy in high school who, on a bet, wore shorts and sandals for a full year - never a pair of socks, never long pants. we lived in a place with pretty good weather, but we had maybe 50 rainy days and at least 50 days below 7-8 degrees celcious, maybe 5 days hovering around freezing.

13. rdawson808

rdawson808 Senior member

Good lordy how many of us were at Virginia Tech then? I was a doctoral student at the time, though (AgEcon and Econ). I hated B-burg.

I now teach at a small liberal arts college in Maryland. We see that same sort of style. In fact, at a recent visitor's day I say a guy in a seersucker jacket, a pastel polo (ccllar up), and khakis. He may have had a hat on too. He will fit in nicely with many of the neo-preppies we have here. Luckily (?) most of the students here are typical college kids and wear jeans and t-shirts most of the time.

But I think this is a very mid-atlantic thing. Or maybe it's east coast. The one year I was at Whitman College in Walla Walla, Wa (a very very good liberal arts college) there was no preppy style at all. These were very much kids concerned with the world and their studies and when they dressed up it was in a very vanilla sort of way (unless they were rich in which case it was just over the top, but not preppy).

Ahhhh, 30 more years of following college styles ahead of me.

bob

14. norcaltransplant

norcaltransplant Senior member

Enjoy college.  People are much too spread out across the continent and world for that matter once you graduate.

By PHV,
    The wannabe surgeons believe they do.  And the real orthopedic surgeons believe themselves to be one hip replacement away from deification.

by H_S:
    No, medical students are closer to high school students.  I still used "Oh Oh Oh to touch and feel a virgin girl's..." at the end of my standardized H&P exam just to make sure I didn't miss anything.

15. PHV

PHV Senior member

No, not at all. Â I am quite ready to get out there and start earning my keep. Â Only four more years until that sort of happens.
    Enjoy college. Â People are much too spread out across the continent and world for that matter once you graduate. By PHV,
    The wannabe surgeons believe they do. Â And the real orthopedic surgeons believe themselves to be one hip replacement away from deification. by H_S:
    No, medical students are closer to high school students. Â I still used "Oh Oh Oh to touch and feel a virgin girl's..." at the end of my standardized H&P exam just to make sure I didn't miss anything.
    Yea that is true about surgeons. They are the cocky ones. A lot of oncologists have saviour complexes as well.

16. VMan

VMan Senior member

(shoreman1782 @ April 20 2005,06:08) I'm surprised by the responses here. I doubt the college kids think tie w/ shorts is acceptable business wear, they're just screwing around. It certainly isn't "proper," but I don't see anything wrong with it.
    As a professor, let me just note that they're doing it to mess with those of us who are older (and easily offended by stupid stuff).
    That's not it at all. I doubt that it's done to try and offend. It's just a trend (though I have yet to see it here) and while I wouldn't wear a tie with shorts, I guess it shows a little personal style and is much better than sweatpants or cheap jeans and a logo t-shirt.

17. gorgekko

gorgekko Senior member

At the risk of repeating what everyone else has said, I agree completely with globetrotter said. Trust me, you will miss these days and look back at them as some of your best. The working world, while it has its attractions, blows. For one thing, it's much more difficult to have sex with 22 year old blondes at 33 then it is at 23 [​IMG] Goodness...that was crude of me.

18. wja

wja Well-Known Member

For better or worse, you should enjoy med school.  As a med student you will enjoy combination of prestige and lack of responsibility that you will never see again in your life.

19. Dakota rube

Dakota rube Senior member

A bit better than yesterday, all day vomiting for
    I actually tried to convince my nephew to forestall his December college graduation. At least until my sister elbowed me in the adam's apple.

I put a spreadsheet together once (I can't find it now, otherwise I'd include it) that pretty definitely proved it is cheaper (not to mention more fun.) to stay in college than to get out, get a job, start acquiring all sorts of nasty payments, etc.

20. newyorker

newyorker Senior member

I didn't make the most out of my college experience. I studied my butt off, and I made Phi Beta Kappa. I guess I did what I did in those circumstances, but yes, I would do it differently if I could do it again.