Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Who decided that this is acceptable?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by hopkins_student, Apr 18, 2005.

1. hopkins_student

hopkins_student Senior member

Who told college students that it is acceptable to wear dress shirts (always French blue) with ties (yellow or navy), shorts, and flip-flops? I suppose that they should be commended for at least wearing long sleeve shirts, but a tie with shorts? Dear God. I've seen this twice in the last two school days.

2. Bergdorf Goodwill

Bergdorf Goodwill Senior member

College students are the worst. All of the vacuousness of high school students without any of the restraint.

3. hopkins_student

Ha.

I can't wait to no longer be a college student.  I hate college students.

edit: I do not consider medical students to be "college students".

4. Bergdorf Goodwill

Bergdorf Goodwill Senior member

(orbitingio @ April 18 2005,18:01) All of the vacuousness of high school students without any of the restraint.
    Ha. I can't wait to no longer be a college student. I hate college students. edit: I do not consider medical students to be "college students".
    I am a college student right now, but I'm working my GPA up in a community college, so my concerns with other people's clothing are a bit more pressing. If the 55 year old non-trad student one row up's stretch pants break I might have to deal with the ensuing avalanche. And there's always the threat of that guy who's probably pushing 30 and wears some sort of "COLLEGE BEER LOL" (today's selection: "Take life with a grain of salt." courtesy of Jose Cuervo -- thanks, CoolDad.) type shirt every single day ever vomiting on my shoes or something.

5. newyorker

newyorker Senior member

The JCrew Catalog, Spring 2005, gave them permission to do that. Actually they weren't paying attention. If they did, they would have worn blazers too.

6. Matt

Matt [email protected]

i remember visiting at friend at Virginia Tech in 99 and being mortified by the look they were passing off as semi formal there.

Navy blazer, white shirt, rep tie - very trad but all fine - worn with cargo pants.

Who decided that was acceptable?

7. newyorker

newyorker Senior member

The JCrew catalog featured this look on their front page. Seriously. The models wore the same blazers but different colored cargo shorts.

8. dorian

dorian Senior member

Abercrombie, in 99, at least... Don't know about now...

9. Andrew V.

Andrew V. Senior member

I like to wear shorts with blazers and ties around my yard, but never to school or around town.

10. hopkins_student

I think the blazer with shorts can maybe be done within one hundred yards of a beach, but the tie kills it.

11. Andrew V.

Andrew V. Senior member

Well if you live in a J. Crew catalogue (which is my dream incidentally) I think there's alway a beach within a hundred yards or so.

12. newyorker

newyorker Senior member

Quote from Zgat Survey 2004 New York City Shopping: J.CREW "Conservatives" Crew-sing for the "perfect preppy fix" of "well-done", "white-bread" T-shirts, chinos, belts, sweaters, bathing suits and flip-flops gush "if I could die in a clothes store, it would be" in this "orderly, appealing" chain; "mellow colors" and "nice styles that stick arouund for more than one season" evoke "a drive through the country in a convertible with a dog in the backseat, a scenario that cosmopolitan style-mavens call a "snoozefest"; N.B. a new branch has opened in The Shops at Columbus Circle at Time Warner Center. Perhaps things are starting to make sense....

13. tgfny

tgfny Senior member

I remember pulling a blazer, turtleneck, bermudas ensemble in boarding school- not a pretty sight.

14. Matt

Matt [email protected]

if the weather is warm enough that you are at a beach and wearing shorts, why on earth would you need a blazer?

15. StevenRocks

StevenRocks Senior member

I was going to school at Virginia Tech in the late '90s and it was a sartorial wasteland, even moreso now.  I think it's the case at most colleges.  

There's a tendency to want to dress "preppy" without the obvious grooming and comfort sacrifices involved, so here comes this look.  

I think it's abhorant.  At least buy some topsiders or blucher mocs if you're doing the look, for goodness sake.