1. Hi, I'm the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.

who cuts the best buttonholes in los angeles?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by blofeld, Mar 1, 2010.

1. blofeld

blofeld Senior Member

I've tried a few, they all suck. who do you use, la people?

2. Raralith

Raralith Senior Member

I've seen Bill Cairo Custom Tailors work in San Marino and it looks good. They do their own benchgrade in addition to outsourced MTM and alterations. He's a bit expensive though, $60-80 for sleeving, and than $15/button. You can see his custom work when you come in on the left, and he didn't mind me feeling and inspecting them.

3. Mute

Mute Distinguished Member

I use Bill for most of my tailoring and his work is quite good.

4. bigchris1313

bigchris1313 Senior Member

I use him for a fair amount of work. He's not inexpensive, but you get what you pay for. Or as I once heard it, "San Marino quality at San Marino prices."

5. blofeld

blofeld Senior Member

we are talking about the san marino near pasadena right?

6. earthdragon

earthdragon Distinguished Member

I used to use Gary's in BH (he's not big on Handwork though). If you don't mind machined ones - he's pretty decent and a nice bloke.

7. Raralith

Raralith Senior Member

Yes, on Huntington Drive, small store.

8. the.chikor

the.chikor Senior Member

Do you want them cut and sewed by hand or by machine?

By hand-Enzo Caruso in Santa Monica-excellent hand work. Mario Fabbrocinno in Hollywood-does excellent hand work. Charles Tailoring (Karl Fiedler)-his people do good work-but I don't remember if it was by hand or machine.

9. kngrimm

kngrimm Senior Member

Richard Lim on Wilshire does handwork... actually every buttonhole from pants to suits is done by hand. His prices are extremely cheap - you might even want to offer more money and specify 'do them really nice'.

Also, Novex in BH does a bunch of hand work in general, but he's on the [relatively] expensive side.

The blue spot-effect flannel is from Richard at the standard cheap price... I've seen Richard's buttonholes on his jackets and they can 'step it up' if need be. The light gray is Novex.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. Michael Ay329

Michael Ay329 Distinguished Member

Try Nick the Greek in Huntingon Park, California on Gage Ave.

I have 3 bespoke suits in which Nick is now finishing their button holes and an excellent opportunity for anyone to see his work first hand

I have seen the work done by Enzo Caruso...but his prices are triple to quadruple what Nick charges...keep in mind he's in a wealthier area and a much more upscale clientele

11. kngrimm

kngrimm Senior Member

I've had a handful of pants made by Nick the Greek - a good guy and very talkative about his subjects.

This is just the inside buttonhole since I was trying out a different style at the time. Nick is a little too far away for me and does not have immediate access to nicer wools/mills, so I've moved toward other tailors, but he is worth checking out if you have fabric and know what you want.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

12. blofeld

blofeld Senior Member

thanks for all the advice gents