• We would like to welcome Exquisite Trimmings as an official Affiliate Vendor. Exquisite Trimmings is a UK based purveyor of the very best in clothing and accessories, from gloves by Thomas Reimer to leather portfolios from Il Micio, to watch rolls by Rapport London. Please visit their new thread and give them a warm welcome.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

who cuts the best buttonholes in los angeles?

blofeld

Reaction score
I've tried a few, they all suck. who do you use, la people?

Raralith

Reaction score
I've seen Bill Cairo Custom Tailors work in San Marino and it looks good. They do their own benchgrade in addition to outsourced MTM and alterations. He's a bit expensive though, $60-80 for sleeving, and than $15/button. You can see his custom work when you come in on the left, and he didn't mind me feeling and inspecting them.

Mute

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I use Bill for most of my tailoring and his work is quite good.

bigchris1313

Reaction score
I use him for a fair amount of work. He's not inexpensive, but you get what you pay for. Or as I once heard it, "San Marino quality at San Marino prices."

blofeld

Reaction score
we are talking about the san marino near pasadena right?

earthdragon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by blofeld

I used to use Gary's in BH (he's not big on Handwork though). If you don't mind machined ones - he's pretty decent and a nice bloke.

Raralith

Reaction score
Yes, on Huntington Drive, small store.

the.chikor

Reaction score
Originally Posted by blofeld

Do you want them cut and sewed by hand or by machine?

By hand-Enzo Caruso in Santa Monica-excellent hand work. Mario Fabbrocinno in Hollywood-does excellent hand work. Charles Tailoring (Karl Fiedler)-his people do good work-but I don't remember if it was by hand or machine.

kngrimm

Reaction score
Richard Lim on Wilshire does handwork... actually every buttonhole from pants to suits is done by hand. His prices are extremely cheap - you might even want to offer more money and specify 'do them really nice'.

Also, Novex in BH does a bunch of hand work in general, but he's on the [relatively] expensive side.

The blue spot-effect flannel is from Richard at the standard cheap price... I've seen Richard's buttonholes on his jackets and they can 'step it up' if need be. The light gray is Novex.

Michael Ay329

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Try Nick the Greek in Huntingon Park, California on Gage Ave.

I have 3 bespoke suits in which Nick is now finishing their button holes and an excellent opportunity for anyone to see his work first hand

I have seen the work done by Enzo Caruso...but his prices are triple to quadruple what Nick charges...keep in mind he's in a wealthier area and a much more upscale clientele

kngrimm

Reaction score
I've had a handful of pants made by Nick the Greek - a good guy and very talkative about his subjects.

This is just the inside buttonhole since I was trying out a different style at the time. Nick is a little too far away for me and does not have immediate access to nicer wools/mills, so I've moved toward other tailors, but he is worth checking out if you have fabric and know what you want.

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How do you feel about spending money on non-essential goods during the Covid-19 crisis?

• I don't want to spend money at a time of economic uncertainty, even if I could afford it.

• I feel compelled to spend to help small businesses that are struggling.

• I reduced my budget for non-essential goods and I'm not spending at the moment.

• Not much has changed for me and I'm still buying stuff I can't afford.

Results are only viewable after voting.