• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Who can pull this look off?

lasbar

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I just have been on Youtube watching the 2002 defile from Hedi Slimane for Dior Homme and i have there the same thin and effeminate models , nearly asexual that you do find on certain posters and ads for Ralph Lauren...
Dior Homme is obvioulsly not the ultra-classic ,preppie Ralph Lauren but they're using the same esthetics based on ultra-cold detached young ephebes...
The fact Dior is more avant-guardist with a different clientele doesn't mean that they are not sharing some similar esthetic code...

lasbar

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I do have problem with white trousers outside a more casual context...
White trousers associated with a double-breaoo sted blazer is too precious for me ,sorry...
i have asked my wife ,thinking that i was my usual not casual enough persona,and she did have the same reaction...
For me ,this look is batard..between casual and elegance ,nearly unnatural like a Thom Brown suit...

Mr. Moo

Boxercise Toughguy
Reaction score
The look is perfect for a Sunday stroll in a nice part of town (think Rodeo Drive in LA or Union Square in San Francisco). I like it.

emmanuel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Lasbar, I am skinny and wear slim clothes. You are calling me effeminate?

mensimageconsultant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by barims
^^ I can't help but think you're drawing as many of your conclusions from the chiselled and gelled style of the model as from the outfit itself, especially the statement of "all detached , pseudo cold beauty look". "Trying too hard" is a pretty precarious argument to make against a rather simplistic and not particularly bold outfit. I might have agreed if there were blazer buttons involved. There's also no attempt at originality, seeing as we're talking about avowed nostalgist Ralph Lauren here

I'd wear it, but I'd rather wear a green, blue or purple tie. And I agree that the jacket should stay on at all times

The cut of the jacket is part of the "arrogance." "Look at my athletic body," it says. Nobody can wear that outfit in the real world without expecting some negative reactions, and obviously the wearer has to be in good shape.

barims

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ Whoa, dude - a huge real world stigma against slim/skinny cut jackets has passed me by? Excuse me - half my wardrobe needs to be donated to someone smaller Where was I discussing arrogance? Perhaps you're thinking of this guy:
Originally Posted by Nexus6
Arrogance is behaviour, not clothing.
And I happen to agree

mensimageconsultant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by barims
^ Whoa, dude - a huge real world stigma against slim/skinny cut jackets has passed me by? Excuse me - half my wardrobe needs to be donated to someone smaller

Where was I discussing arrogance? Perhaps you're thinking of this guy:

Slim is fine in some situations. Skinny is iffy. Tailored clothing hugging a muscular body is generally inadvisable. A Style Forum member who dresses like that might receive mostly positive comments, but it's an unusual audience and most people don't politely share their negative thoughts with the subject. Maybe even less so than usual when the subject is muscular.

And I happen to agree
Then two people are wrong. Style, to a degree, is behavior.

barims

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ And you figure conflating style with arrogance is somehow gonna prove my opinion wrong (by the way, "to a degree" would only make us "somewhat wrong" at best) ? Or that forumites are generally unaware of the possibility of negative feedback in a world where wearing a shirt and sportscoat casually is considered dressing up and to be treated with cynicism? Even you should know that negative reactions say more about the discomfort of the critic than the comfort of the subject

This chat wasn't interesting when you singled out my post to draw random and inaccurate conclusions from it the first time. We're commenting on the style of the outfit because that's what the OP asked us to think about. The model's looks are ultimately immaterial and we know nothing of his behaviour. Also, the clue of his purpose is in his job title - these aren't his clothes. Focus on the matter at hand and not on your tendencies for tangents and suspect reading comprehension

mensimageconsultant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
True - a model, on the job, isn't in charge of his style, so it might not accurately reflect his personality. Someone who could "pull the look off" probably would need to be arrogant and popular. Most Style Forum members do know that some observers might disapprove, but the majority opinion seems to be that that doesn't matter and so is arrogant and of some risk to the wearer. For an impressionable man who isn't well-established to wander over here and emulate the forum's style, much less that extreme tapered look, could be a disaster.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads