• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Who can advise on superfoods and herbal supplements?

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sunnydale
I'm sorry to hear that. And yeah, concentrated fish oil works well too. What matters is obtaining the EPA/DHA.

Your comment about coming down with an upset stomach is actually humorous to me. I used to have a severe stomach problem. It was very similar to crohns disease. After I began taking fish oil and another supplement, vitamin D3, my GI issues all but went away. I tell everyone about it! And the two supplements have helped others with stomach problems. So taking lots of fish oil along with vitamin D3 has had the opposite effect for me. The two have been better than any prescription I've taken.

Interesting. My brother has Crohn's, and due to my weight and constant stomach problems, I probably do as well, but I haven't been to the doctor to get scoped.

The superfoods really helped me in that regard more than anything. When I first started taking them, they tore up my stomach for a day or two, but now I feel great.

jessetk313

Reaction score
Put in an order for Spirulina, so we will see. When is the best time to take this on workout days wopuld you say? And non workout? Or does it not really matter?

username79

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is anything in this thread based on any actual scientific evidence or research?

Eat a piece of ******* salmon and some broccoli.

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by username79

Thanks, we had absolutely no idea salmon and broccoli were good for you. Thanks for your contribution, taken under serious consideration.

jessetk313

Reaction score
Originally Posted by username79

Salmon and Broccoli, is that a superfood? Where can I get some?

username79

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jessetk313
Salmon and Broccoli, is that a superfood? Where can I get some?
"Superfood" is a bullshit marketing term for people that like to order expensive, useless, and unproven herbal supplements online. The same people that take a fish oil supplement rather than grilling a piece of salmon once a week.

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Hahaha yeah fish oil is really unproven. You're a dipshit.

username79

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by javyn
Hahaha yeah fish oil is really unproven. You're a dipshit.
Read the original post to see a very good example of a victim of supplement marketing. The word "superfood" itself is a dead giveaway. Fish oil is not unproven. But the best way to obtain it is from eating fish (which comes with other ancillary health benefits), not popping expensive pills along with <whatever-people-are-taking-this-week-Maca-Chinese-Pond-Algae-Toenail-Fongus-For-$99-a-bottle-etc> Your posts "touting spirulina and chlorella algaes" have little root in any sort of scientific fact or method, but are aggressively touted by those selling the products and the "holistic nutrition" doctors with links their own formulations at the bottom of their web pages. Most reference at best two dubious studies, one with a whopping ten individual sample size and the other of similar size conducted in Japan. Anyway, dipshit, keep buying your pond algae tablets online. You're helping the economy, somewhere. I'll chop up some salmon and take a dump in a jar, yours for only $500 a bottle.

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Sorry user, it doesn't cost me nearly that much. Actually, since I buy in bulk, it costs about 20 cents a day, even for my megadoses. Far less than my pack a day cigarette habit. Also, if you don't believe that spiru/chorella are beneficial, I guess you don't buy into other high chlorophyll foods such as wheatgrass, or hell, vegetables in general. It's essentially the same thing, only difference is the algaes are far more nutritiously dense.

innerstyle

Reaction score
Originally Posted by javyn
Sorry user, it doesn't cost me nearly that much. Actually, since I buy in bulk, it costs about 20 cents a day, even for my megadoses. Far less than my pack a day cigarette habit. Also, if you don't believe that spiru/chorella are beneficial, I guess you don't buy into other high chlorophyll foods such as wheatgrass, or hell, vegetables in general. It's essentially the same thing, only difference is the algaes are far more nutritiously dense.

I see a lot of general health articles recommending fish oil and vitamin D supplementation but I don't see anywhere near as much support for spiru/chorella.

BTW, I figured you for a health nut so I'm surprised to hear you smoke. I'll spare you the lecture.
smile.gif

lizahellenn

Reaction score
Herbal supplements are more popular now than ever before. People are looking for new ways to improve their health, and they are turning to natural remedies rather than pharmaceutical drugs more and more.

joneeron

Reaction score
You are currently just look behind the oil bottle and compare the composition of EPA + DHA. This should be clearly marked. If not, do not buy that brand again. Add the content of EPA + DHA per capsule and then multiplied by the capsules to take daily.

mactilden

Reaction score
It was very similar to crohns disease. After I began taking fish oil and another supplement, vitamin D3, my GI issues all but went away. These all are one of the great to know about it.

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
If you are taking fish oil, you need to shoot for 1-2 grams of EPA/DHA daily. So it's smart to seek out the better brands that contain the most EPA/DHA per capsule rather than taking 20 of the cheap capsules a day, thinning the hell out of your blood.

Country Life "Omega 3 Mood" has 1 gram EPA per 2 capsules. Best deal I've found, although I don't take fish oil anymore.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads