• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Who are your favorite tie makers?

TexasToast

Reaction score
As a returning tie afficianado I'm digging my heels in a building a tie collection (one that I can afford) and I'm very curious about others tastes in ties. I would also like to broaden my taste in ties so with that I'd like to know who are your favorite tie makers. So far I have 3 lol Sam Hober, Kent Wang, Brooks Brothers and I'd like to increase that. Hopefully I'll be going to visit the Kent Wang store tomorrow and pick up a tie and possibly a pocket square to boot.

Last edited:

Ratomir

Reaction score
Make sure to check the websites of Viola Milano and Shibumi Firenze.
And if you are based in the USA, do check eBay for second hands Charvet ties. They sell for much much less than in Europe.
These three brands offer a quiet style, understated chic.
For pocket squares, in my opinion, there is one brand only - Simonot Godard.
Enjoy

TexasToast

Reaction score
And if you are based in the USA, do check eBay for second hands Charvet ties. They sell for much much less than in Europe.
Enjoy

Thanks for your suggestions, I forgot about Shibumi and haven't heard of Viola Milano so I will visit them. I will also look at Charvet and Simonot Godard (sounds expensive lol)

TexasToast

Reaction score
It’s nice to meet you. Kiton ties are the best you can buy. I’ve had many other brands and as long as you like a style they have (which is subjective) you will appreciate the best quality (objective).
Thanks for chiming in.

ValidusLA

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Enjoy

Found the Frenchman!

But in all serious, Charvet makes a good tie, but many of the new ones are very shiny or modern looking.

Last as I was in the Paris store all the "classics" were towards the back. Quite sad.

It’s nice to meet you. Kiton ties are the best you can buy. I’ve had many other brands and as long as you like a style they have (which is subjective) you will appreciate the best quality (objective).

I'm not sure Kiton is objectively the best choice. They use very nice silk and have nice patterns, but over the years various members have complained of knot slippage, drape, and other things.

I think sometimes Kiton benefits from cost glamour.

One thing to consider about your ties is the vibe you are looking for.

Drakes, as an example, is probably a step below Kiton in quality (a small step), but a step above Shibumi. But if you want a more classically British look, I think they can be a better choice. Kiton favors very smooth, often shiny ties.

Quality wise I think Charvet and Kiton are on the same level. If anything I think Charvet construction is more steady.

klcr

Reaction score
Title of Work is extremely $$$$, but some of the designs really are gorgeous.

maxalex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
At the high end of the price range I’m fond of E. Marinella which are handmade in Naples from silk that’s been hand-screened in Macclesfield. Admittedly much of the appeal is the ritual of walking into their small shop in Naples. The designs are very conservative madder types, nothing trendy.

Daniel Hakimi

Reaction score
Reddit Megathread

Personally, while I have plenty of love for Drakes and the like, I have a couple of soft spots in my heart.

Bigi made a few of the first great ties I got, from... Barney's Warehouse, I think it was. Two really high-quality ties for ~$20 each. Nothing crazy, no madder, regular lining... but you know, solid quality at a stupid price.

Then, I got a few old school BB makers ties. Some madder and stuff to fill out my wardrobe. They're pretty nice, and super cheap via luxeswap, you can lowball a few of your favorites with patience and get some special stuff.

Maybe my #1 among my flashy ties is a Rubinacci madder from luxeswap. Obviously beautiful silk, super funky colors, and 4.25" wide. Width is where it's at -- a nice wide tie creates a nice angle at the knot, that does a lot for me.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
At the high end of the price range I’m fond of E. Marinella which are handmade in Naples from silk that’s been hand-screened in Macclesfield.

Bigi made a few of the first great ties I got, from... Barney's Warehouse, I think it was.

Small industry secret: Bigi makes some of Marinella's ties. Or at least they have in the past.

maxalex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Small industry secret: Bigi makes some of Marinella's ties. Or at least they have in the past.
Interesting. I have had ties made in the shop as well. They had a thing recently where they were reprinting designs from years past. I wanted the pattern from my birth year (sadly many years past) but they only had the fabric not made ties. So they made it for the next day.

circumspice

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
At the high end of the price range I’m fond of E. Marinella which are handmade in Naples from silk that’s been hand-screened in Macclesfield. Admittedly much of the appeal is the ritual of walking into their small shop in Naples. The designs are very conservative madder types, nothing trendy.

E. Marinella was available at Rinascente in Roma, which I found a bit surprising, and more so was the Euro 120 price point - are they engaged in market segmentation? The last time I handled E. Marinella was in their Tokyo store, and I thought they were more like US$200 a tie there. I of course could answer this for myself if I ducked into the E. Marinella shop in Rome.

For the Americans - the Rinascente in Rome was carrying brands otherwise that would slot in around Nordstrom's, so I was surprised to see Marinella there as I thought their price point was reliably north of Drake's

Thingamajig

Reaction score
Vanda Fine Clothing makes fantastic ties IMO. He usually stocks more classical options and sizes.

maxalex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
E. Marinella was available at Rinascente in Roma, which I found a bit surprising, and more so was the Euro 120 price point - are they engaged in market segmentation? The last time I handled E. Marinella was in their Tokyo store, and I thought they were more like US$200 a tie there. I of course could answer this for myself if I ducked into the E. Marinella shop in Rome.

For the Americans - the Rinascente in Rome was carrying brands otherwise that would slot in around Nordstrom's, so I was surprised to see Marinella there as I thought their price point was reliably north of Drake's
According to my credit card statement, in April I paid 200 euros at the Marinella shop in Campo Marzio. I remember that was for a tie and a pocket square, but I can't recall the breakdown.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads