• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Who Are Your Favorite Comedians?

willpower

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was listening to some Carlin shows from the early 1970s. He came up with so much original material. Everybody ripped him off.

Dedalus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ektaylor
Hamburger is over your head, obviously. Like, seriously. You completely missed the point.
No, I'm with Magician on this one. Hamburger is not as effective as Captain Mustache.

ektaylor

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dedalus
No, I'm with Magician on this one. Hamburger is not as effective as Captain Mustache.

He's completely different, working in a completely different direction.

Let me clarify my position: Hamburger is terrible. But, his performances aren't supposed to inspire genuine laughter, they're supposed to grind away to the point of boredom. The transparency of his act is his import--it's an expose on the audience of Captain Mustache: laughing to the point of forced, strained-cheeked giggling. All in the pursuit of belonging to some pretentious underground metacomedy that works on an intellectual level only accessible to those who know.

Hamburger's brilliance lies in his ability to bring these people out in droves and spend 20 minutes on the same "Red Hot Chilly Peppers did heroin" joke to produce a room filled with the most disgusting laughter imaginable. He's concentrating the nightmare of today's entertainment in his own audience.

Nouveau Pauvre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am sure that some sophisticated performance art remains "over my head" though I highly doubt it is Neil Hamburger. Ektaylor how is your explanation any different from my characterization as meta/character based/outsider comedy? I am also very familiar with the misanthropic audience baiting aspect - I listen to Boyd Rice and Blood Axis for chrissakes but Hamburger lacks the genuine intense unease provoked by acts like that.

Dedalus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ektaylor
He's completely different, working in a completely different direction.

Let me clarify my position: Hamburger is terrible. But, his performances aren't supposed to inspire genuine laughter, they're supposed to grind away to the point of boredom. The transparency of his act is his import--it's an expose on the audience of Captain Mustache: laughing to the point of forced, strained-cheeked giggling. All in the pursuit of belonging to some pretentious underground metacomedy that works on an intellectual level only accessible to those who know.

Hamburger's brilliance lies in his ability to bring these people out in droves and spend 20 minutes on the same "Red Hot Chilly Peppers did heroin" joke to produce a room filled with the most disgusting laughter imaginable. He's concentrating the nightmare of today's entertainment in his own audience.

That sounds like a contrived excuse for unfunny to me. Would you consider Tim and Eric along those same lines? Because I think they are absolutely hilarious, but I think it works because something at the bare gut level is funny. All the meta performance art stuff is icing on the cake, but you need that raw humor and wit beneath it all to deliver it. I think that's why Louis CK is great with shock humor where so many fail as juvenile and immature, why Pryor/Rock/Chappelle succeed with race humor whereas others rely on it as a gimmick. And I think Neil just lacks that spongey, moist cake.

Kappelan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Jeff Dunham
smile.gif

goldenbraid

Reaction score
Dave Hill. Dave Hill Fashion week:
IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.

wingin' it

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
+1 on Lewis Black and Mitch Hedberg.
Couple not mentioned yet that I'd toss out there as some of my favorites would include Jake Johannsen and Bob Newhart.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads