• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Who are the best suit tailors in Sydney?

sydneywatches

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I'm looking to get maybe 2 or 3 new suits tailor made. I've worn off the rack and made to measure suits before and they have been ok. The made to measure suits admittedly have fit better. I've never gone bespoke. It's hard to justify the price. What are people's experience with bespoke?

Also which tailors would you recommend in Sydney

thank you

theraregent

Reaction score
I am pretty short and skinny so I find it difficult to find an off the rack suit that fits me.
I usually go for made to measure and then bespoke for the whole experience and creation of something that fits perfectly. Bespoke is very pricey though. You can get really decent made to measure at pretty reasonable prices.

Try Zink and Son or Zimma Tailors for full bespoke.
For MTM - montagio, suit shop

Last edited:

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@sydneywatches - it might be worthwhile posting this question in the Australian Members' thread, as that's where most of us congregate so you should get some good, relevant responses there:

http://www.styleforum.net/t/88856/australian-members

For a review of a few different tailors in Sydney, you could do worse than having a look at the "A Timeless Man" blog, as Andrew (who is a member here) writes about his experiences with various Sydney and overseas tailors:

http://timelessman.com.au/

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
P. Johnson Tailors

They are not tailors despite their name.

Because, at the risk of sounding awfully pedantic, P.Johnson doesn't actually make anything.

They measure people up and they help people to choose cloth and to select options, but they don't actually do any tailoring themselves. All of the tailoring is outsourced to various other companies, and those companies make the clothes and deliver them to P.Johnson.

adelaidesky

Reaction score
Because, at the risk of sounding awfully pedantic, P.Johnson doesn't actually make anything.

They measure people up and they help people to choose cloth and to select options, but they don't actually do any tailoring themselves. All of the tailoring is outsourced to various other companies, and those companies make the clothes and deliver them to P.Johnson.
Any ideas on who they outsource to?

TheWraith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A factory in Italy, is it not? I'm not sure if that's their current situation, I've not really followed them of late.

adelaidesky

Reaction score
A factory in Italy, is it not? I'm not sure if that's their current situation, I've not really followed them of late.
I remember reading somewhere that their top line is contracted to Orazio Luciano, but I've never been able to verify it.

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Any ideas on who they outsource to?

If my memory serves me correctly, P.Johnson used to have their suits made by a place in the Netherlands.

Once P.Johnson introduced a slightly less expensive subsidiary, SuitShop, they then moved upmarket a bit and moved production to Italy. I believe that they now use one or two different places in Rome to make the P.Johnson "Roma" line and then Orazio Luciano, also known as La Vera Sartoria Napoletana, in Naples to make the P.Johnson "Napoli" line, which is their most expensive.

Their SuitShop subsidiary/offshoot has its suits made in China.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads