• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

who actually does this forum cater to?

bourbonbasted

Cyber Eliitist
Reaction score
Marino wool. Cyber elitism. Hedonistic treadmill.

VinnyMac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
VM - I'm not trying to be a jerk, but...too long as decided by whom? You? There are plenty of great threads that have started out with longer posts. This one has already generated a few responses. If it was too long to get you to read it well...maybe that was part of the intent. Who knows. But realize that "too long for my attention span" is not the same as "too long for one post".
Yes...decided by me. I forgot to include the mandatory "IMO." The thread's gotten a lot of hits, but I'd be willing to bet that more people are responding to the provocative title question than they are to the actual body of the OP, but if there were cliff notes...

unbelragazzo

Jewfro
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Are you this passionate about casualwear as well?

In the interests of moving this thread back towards something resembling a valuable discussion, my personal answer to this question:

Like probably many people on this forum, I was wearing casual stuff before wearing tailored clothing. I did get interested in that as well. I've carried over a lot of my preferences from that arena - in particular I've always liked rougher, more textured fabrics, and more casual, subtle color schemes rather than clean/sharp looks with stark color contrasts.

Also more recently my aesthetic interest in clothing has spilled over into other items like furniture once I started to get my first real furniture. I think once you start to develop a style and a sense of design, you see it everywhere, and start to value well-designed objects whatever they may be.

clarksdb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Great thread, I've enjoyed reading the responses. I'm just a recent undergrad graduate and just starting to build my wardrobe. Doing it with Allen Edmond shoes, Brooks Brothers shirts, Howard Yount pants, Pantheralla socks. I am basically making minimum wage right now so I try not to go overboard. Hence I would be interested in knowing what the average SF member is making. For me $200 shoes and dress pants sounds reasonable if they are going to last me a long time.

Geezer

Reaction score
I come here because this place sometimes educates or inspires me, and often amuses me (usually in a good way).

Cunrad

Reaction score
Acridsheep, you made my day!

On Topic: SInce my mid teenage days, following a short period of skater style, I came like dress shirts better than t-shirts, you could say that I liked to dress on the more formal side of what was necessary.
Later I also became interestes in fashion, and few years ago I found that what matters most to me is fit and quality. So I came here and found advice on what is a good fit in a classic menswear sense, and where I can find good quality. And that's what I found on here, plus a lot more fun stuff in the various subfora.

JWalters

Reaction score
Also more recently my aesthetic interest in clothing has spilled over into other items like furniture once I started to get my first real furniture. I think once you start to develop a style and a sense of design, you see it everywhere, and start to value well-designed objects whatever they may be.

I have found this across diverse interests and enthusiast fora as well, including Bladeforums, Watchuseek, Candlepowerforums, Headfi, and even m4carbine. Collectively, I refer to these as "guy gadget interests". The scene here seems to me to be rather similar to other enthusiast fora, as aptly described by mcbrown back in post #15. Well, and kev777.

I am basically making minimum wage right now so I try not to go overboard. Hence I would be interested in knowing what the average SF member is making. For me $200 shoes and dress pants sounds reasonable if they are going to last me a long time.

Like so many, I found SF when I recently accepted a job that requires conservative business dress. T-shirts and jean shorts prevail at my current IT workplace. Ironically, accepting this new conservative business dress job entails a ~40% decrease in pay. I'm trying to build an informed, essential conservative business dress wardrobe before I switch.

So I came here for the standard noob "what suits for new job?" research, and stayed for the analysis and attention to detail that I enjoy in other interests as noted above.

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am a scion of the Old Baltic Nobility, if that helps.

VinnyMac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Great thread...I am basically making minimum wage right now so I try not to go overboard. Hence I would be interested in knowing what the average SF member is making. For me $200 shoes and dress pants sounds reasonable if they are going to last me a long time.
You're an interesting guy. When I was in school, making minimum wage, I wouldn't have thought about spending $200 on a pair of shoes.
I come here because this place sometimes educates or inspires me, and often amuses me (usually in a good way).
+1
Like so many, I found SF when I recently accepted a job that requires conservative business dress.....accepting this new conservative business dress job entails a ~40% decrease in pay. I'm trying to build an informed, essential conservative business dress wardrobe before I switch.

So I came here for the standard noob "what suits for new job?" research, and stayed for the analysis and attention to detail that I enjoy in other interests as noted above.

Wow. Why'd you accept the job?...just curious. Earlier this year, I turned down a job because it was "only" going to raise my pay by $10K

JWalters

Reaction score
Wow. Why'd you accept the job?...just curious. Earlier this year, I turned down a job because it was "only" going to raise my pay by $10K
To keep OT, PM inbound.

EDIT: Well, it's not a secret and in a sense, is OT: I accepted the new job because it is a chance to serve my country overseas in my area of study and interest. I have been seeking such an opportunity for several years. In the meantime, I have been successful at a decent company whose mission, products, services, culture, and clients do not inspire or engage me, and occasionally do the opposite. Being there while my passion lies elsewhere feels dishonest, at any price. Everyone does their own thing. My wife and I are not really money people, but are motivated by adventure and values.
I'm confident that we will neither starve nor default on our modest mortgage. And thanks to SF, I will look the part.
bigstar[1].gif

Last edited:

samnc

Reaction score
Sorry about the long original post.

This is getting OT, but I do wonder how much you could really tell the difference if a $20, $50, $100, $200 and $400 shirt, all fitted properly, was on you...guess I am getting at is some of this being a brand whore, and this is by no means a term I am using pejoratively. Or a $200, $500, $1000, $2,500 suit. Although I dont want to admit to it, I turn my nose at a third-party camera lens which does 90% of what a Nikon lens does at 30-50% of the cost.

Then again, if some of this is a hobby/collection issue (but unlike some hobbies/collections, clothes has a utilitarian purpose, even if its only to make you feel good about yourself) perhaps the fun is to sport the custom made suit just because you can. It is hard to do that with other hobbies.

Truth be told, I have looked like a slob for too long, and I am finding this website very helpful to un-do the slobness!

Patek

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
People on this forum are better than everyone else, full stop.

... except newbs. They are funny and deserve their lowly place in life.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads