1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

who actually does this forum cater to?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by samnc, Oct 10, 2012.

Tags:
  1. VinnyMac

VinnyMac Senior member

You're an interesting guy. When I was in school, making minimum wage, I wouldn't have thought about spending $200 on a pair of shoes.
    +1
    Wow. Why'd you accept the job?...just curious. Earlier this year, I turned down a job because it was "only" going to raise my pay by $10K

2. JWalters

JWalters Member

To keep OT, PM inbound.

EDIT: Well, it's not a secret and in a sense, is OT: I accepted the new job because it is a chance to serve my country overseas in my area of study and interest. I have been seeking such an opportunity for several years. In the meantime, I have been successful at a decent company whose mission, products, services, culture, and clients do not inspire or engage me, and occasionally do the opposite. Being there while my passion lies elsewhere feels dishonest, at any price. Everyone does their own thing. My wife and I are not really money people, but are motivated by adventure and values.
    I'm confident that we will neither starve nor default on our modest mortgage. And thanks to SF, I will look the part.[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 10, 2012
  3. samnc

samnc Well-Known Member

Sorry about the long original post.

This is getting OT, but I do wonder how much you could really tell the difference if a $20, $50, $100, $200 and $400 shirt, all fitted properly, was on you...guess I am getting at is some of this being a brand whore, and this is by no means a term I am using pejoratively. Or a $200, $500, $1000, $2,500 suit. Although I dont want to admit to it, I turn my nose at a third-party camera lens which does 90% of what a Nikon lens does at 30-50% of the cost.

Then again, if some of this is a hobby/collection issue (but unlike some hobbies/collections, clothes has a utilitarian purpose, even if its only to make you feel good about yourself) perhaps the fun is to sport the custom made suit just because you can. It is hard to do that with other hobbies.

Truth be told, I have looked like a slob for too long, and I am finding this website very helpful to un-do the slobness!

4. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

You didn't. But sometimes, we do read these threads.

Cheers,

Fok.

1 person likes this.
  5. Patek

Patek Senior member

People on this forum are better than everyone else, full stop.

... except newbs. They are funny and deserve their lowly place in life.

6. Claghorn

Claghorn Senior member Dubiously Honored

I don't know suits all that well, but I am pretty sure I can tell the difference between a 500 and a 1000 dollar suit. I'd probably have a harder time between the 1000 and the 2500 dollar suit.

If a shirt is properly fitted, just by appearance I think most would struggle to tell the difference between a 50 dollar and a 100 dollar shirt. But the difference becomes a lot clearer if you are touching it (especially so if you are wearing it).

7. MikeDT

MikeDT Senior member

I stay around for the drama when I'm at the office, and to find out just how much one can spend on a pair of shoes.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2012
  8. mcbrown

mcbrown Senior member

OP, I have to say this is starting to sound more than a little like trolling... I think it should be pretty obvious that the vast majority of posters don't spend $2,500 on suits or $300 on shirts. Those that do usually know exactly why they are paying for premium product, and therefore CAN tell the difference, just like (say) a wildlife photographer can see the benefit of spending thousands to get an extra bit of focal length, even if the rest of us can't. But nonetheless the majority of people on photo fora will be in a lower spending bucket, even as the fora "cater" to both groups.

Got it?

9. samnc

samnc Well-Known Member

No actually, not meant to be a troll post at all. I am too busy to do that stuff. I can't tell the difference with say a $100 and a $30 bottle of wine. Not sure if its me and my bad tastes or if there really is only a marginal difference between those two which only someone who really knows what they are doing knows the difference. I honestly don't know how much of a difference there is with a $300 and $3000 suit since I never tried on a $3,000 suit.

10. msulinski

msulinski Senior member

One of the biggest differences between a low-end suit and a much more expensive suit is (or could be) fit. A more expensive suit, like the $3000 example, is going to be either custom-made for you, or at least MTM (sort-of custom made for you). It will fit a lot better than an off-the-rack suit for $300. This is true of cheap and expensive shirts as well. The more expensive ones will be tailored to your body. Of course, there are exceptions, such as extremely expensive RTW shirts and suits, which may not fit any better than the cheap versions.

11. Ivar

Ivar Senior member

One fascinating aspect of iGent culture is that people often join in for external reasons (to dress better at the workplace, to impress gals, etc.) but stay for internal reasons (because they fall in love with beautiful cloths, beautiful cuts, beautiful craftsmanship, etc.).

Last edited: Oct 11, 2012
  12. Longmorn

Longmorn Senior member

But isn't this one of the major points - more expensive shirts (esp MTM and full bespoke) generally deliver much better fit than OTR. For some body types, the difference may be marginal, but for others huge. Seems to me that superior fit (and the additional labor required to deliver it) is at least 50% of what you're paying for with more expensive shirts and suits.

Quote: Not to get off topic, but while there is often (although not always) a big difference between a $30/bottle wine and a $100/bottle wine, detecting it relies on the senses of smell and taste, which are comparatively underdeveloped in most people vs sight. You may have a very sensitive nose/palate but simply not have focused your attention on them enough to develop their acuity. It takes both the sensory organ and the brain to process the experience.

Now back to suits, shirts, etc. - given that most people are more acutely tuned to visual stimuli, I actually think it's much easier to pick out the difference between a less vs more expensive suit based on fit and materials. However, that may vary across different styles of suits - more relaxed cuts may not leave the impression of a good fit on the casual observer as a suit that is cut slimmer and/or with more structure. OTOH, the cues a casual observer may be sensitive to might also vary from place to place, generating the different regional styles that get discussed here at such length.

13. mcbrown

mcbrown Senior member

So what are you asking? Are you asking if there is a difference in quality? It depends - some $3,000 suits are overpriced brand-whore crap, and some are as fine a garment as you're likely to find in this world. Are you asking if some people can tell the difference? Yes, some people can tell the difference. Are you asking if everyone here can tell the difference? No, not everyone here can tell the difference. Are you asserting that because you can't tell the difference that an expensive suit must not be "worth the money"? That is subjective. My wife takes better pictures with an iPhone than I do with my Canon 5D and L-series lenses (and I'm not ashamed to admit it) but that doesn't mean a Canon 5D is inherently "not worth the money". Hang around, lurk, pay special attention to the WAYWN threads, look at the pre-2010 memorialized WAYWN highlights, look at pictures of posted by noobs of their first internet MTM suits, look at WAYWN again, look back to the highlights, back to "first internet MTM" posts, repeat, repeat, repeat. Eventually you will notice something different between various pieces of clothing. Maybe not everything different, but something. Clothing is just like any other subject - when you are just getting started, the more you learn the less you know.

14. atoms

atoms Senior member

My honest and recent answer...

I'm here because one day I replaced my $8 sunglasses in my car with some old fashioned Ray-Bans. I noticed it made me feel good to wear the sunglasses. Then I bought a nice pair of shoes, and I wore those proudly. Slowly, I started learning a little bit about how to dress and I think I've finally found what I feel home in. I've given up on Fashion as I feel I'm too old for it. So now I'm very much enjoying and feeling confident while learning to dress nicely as a man nearing his middle ages.

These forums provide me with insight into the various products, terms, and techniques that my parents or other relationships never taught me.

15. Longmorn

Longmorn Senior member

O/T but...Even after you've done post-processing in Lightroom or similar?

16. mcbrown

mcbrown Senior member

I mean "better" in terms of composition, "capturing the moment", etc.; not exposure, dynamic range and the like. She doesn't know an f-stop from a rest stop, but she clearly has a better and more creative eye than I do. No amount of post-processing can compensate for that.

17. Lord Mulberry

Lord Mulberry Senior member

The forum caters for everyone - We all have different preferences and opinions.

18. unbelragazzo

unbelragazzo Senior member Dubiously Honored

Very few people, if anyone, even experts, can consistently tell the difference between a $30 bottle and a $100 bottle of wine. There's plenty of research on this.

I don't know of any research, but I'd guess that a lot of people can tell the difference between a very good $500 suit, say, a SuitSupply suit, and a very good $3k suit, say, something bespoke from NsM or Steed, or RTW, something like mainline Zegna or Canali. I'm not talking about from one random still photo, but from wearing the suit or at least seeing someone else wear it in person.

19. Owen Meany

Owen Meany Senior member

Word.

20. Ivar

Ivar Senior member

Yep, the wine analogy is off. Also, what is often forgotten on here is how much more apparent the difference between differently tiered suit is when you see them moving and breathing IRL. Cheap suits often look perfectly fine in photos, but when you try them on, they feel and look dull and lifeless.