• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

whnay.'s good taste thread

lordsuperb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
img_6046-jpg.1082218

MarkWinter

Reaction score
Bruce Boyer always delivers, this time in a grey flannel three piece. It's so sophisticated I am not sure I could pull it off :) I certainly have much less experience in life and clothing than Bruce. Do you think this counts? I always wonder that there are cloths and types garments that doesn't work under a certain age. Would be interested to see how you wear yours.

G.-Bruce-Boyer-830x956-830x956.jpg

circumspice

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a 3 piece in the works, which may be utterly ridiculous because I work in tech in the US. Conversely, a DB might be terminally ridiculous whereas with the 3 piece I have the option to not wear the vest

MarkWinter

Reaction score
I have a 3 piece in the works, which may be utterly ridiculous because I work in tech in the US. Conversely, a DB might be terminally ridiculous whereas with the 3 piece I have the option to not wear the vest

It's not ridiculous to choose to wear something that you like. Better than only dressing to fit into the prescribed conventions of your enviroment. Which fabric, cut have you chosen for this comission?

Moose22

Reaction score

I'm in tech, and I understand. Especially since, not long after I decided to get a nice suit and sport coat or two, I ended up working from home. But I do wear suits out, and coats when I visit the office. At the office I will look ridiculously overdressed if I wear a tie (at all) or nice trousers and a coat.

For my suit, got a 3 piece figuring I could just not wear the waistcoat. I almost ALWAYS wear the waistcoat. It's gotten to be my style, and I just ordered a charcoal 3 piece to give variety from my navy suit. Once you jump to suit and tie, the vest doesn't really make it more or less formal to people who are not wearing a suit.

But what I learned is that I look as good as I will look in a suit. There's a reason for how a coat is cut and structured, and it hides and accentuates parts of a man's shape that may warrant hiding or accentuating in ways athletic wear will not. So even if I only wear suits a few times a month, and not to the office, I no longer think buying a well tailored 3 piece was utterly ridiculous. Maybe marginally so, at most.

circumspice

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am doing a run of the discontinued Minnis flannel 13oz/400g in mid grey. Their current offering is circa 460g which is a bit too warm for most workplaces. Please PM if you are interested. ETA March/April 2019.

This is one of the garments I had made up in the proposed mid grey Minnis flannel when it was still in production several years ago.

View attachment 1082575

Here’s another completed garment in said cloth on Instagram made by Sartoria Paone for gazman70k.

View attachment 1082569
It's not ridiculous to choose to wear something that you like. Better than only dressing to fit into the prescribed conventions of your enviroment. Which fabric, cut have you chosen for this comission?

I bewildered B&Tailor by having Kolecho ship this from Minnis directly to them - I think he once erroneously posted it was due late this year, and that date stuck in my head, not the correct ones in the above quoted post - the lengths went out in the spring. I am planning to have 2 fittings with them. I am going single breasted, 3r2 on the coat, single breasted on the vest, jetted pockets throughout. I tend to use pockets, and find keeping flaps sorted is a bit of a bother.

mak1277

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
But what I learned is that I look as good as I will look in a suit

More people need to understand this!

I occasionally wear a suit to the office and this is my answer when people ask why. I'll never look as good in anything else as I do in a suit.

Moose22

Reaction score
I never got it until I got a suit that fit. And a shirt that fit (I am stout and have a large neck). It is comfortable and just plain looks good.

Wearing a tucked in button up shirt with a tie looks terrible without a coat. Especially on someone not perfectly fit. Athletic wear on a non athletic person will only ever look so good. I make it work, but it isn't flattering.

A dark color with a long line, a nice drape of a coat with a V to a light shirt -- all make a masculine line. The continent adopted the English style a hundred and whatever years ago for a reason.

MarkWinter

Reaction score
A good, contemporary example of this is Andreas Veinas. Always proper fitting clothes, never too much frills or details. There is always some visual interest though.
He manages to avoid any wrong connotation of a "suit person". I see more and more that people who don't wear tailored clothing have partly wrong ideas about it.

PS: there is an article about charcoal as a suiting color on the Rake, the author has a quite convincing narrative:

It’s a slow burn. Charcoal doesn’t shout, it doesn’t immediately catch your eye. Yet deep grey tones have much to offer the modern man. For a colour named after an ancient fuel, it’s surprisingly contemporary. In the fifties, The Man in the Grey Flannel Suit evoked an establishment man, the diligent but unexciting heart of corporate America. Now that the twin forces of conformity and informality have driven business and political leaders into sartorial no man’s land, stuck in identical navy suits and tieless white shirts, charcoal is no longer a thoughtless default. It’s a sign of quiet sophistication.

fa88eaaa60d2d8e11dfa045171d44eba.jpg

Stugotes

Reaction score

I disagree here. One can be impeccably dressed in a suit and tie and still look ridiculously out of place. Just looking great in your own mind, reassured by this forum might not work in every situation. Someone here once said "do you really want to be the one guy who always shows up in a suit to every occasion?".

MarkWinter

Reaction score
I disagree here. One can be impeccably dressed in a suit and tie and still look ridiculously out of place. Just looking great in your own mind, reassured by this forum might not work in every situation. Someone here once said "do you really want to be the one guy who always shows up in a suit to every occasion?".

"I have a 3 piece in the works, which may be utterly ridiculous because I work in tech in the US. Conversely, a DB might be terminally ridiculous whereas with the 3 piece I have the option to not wear the vest
"
Having a 3 piece suit does not mean that you wear it at work every day, but you have an option when the occasion comes.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads