whnay.'s good taste thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Manton, Jul 30, 2012.

1. in stitches

in stitches Kung Joo Moderator

+1

thanks un, excellent example.

no hate, but, while that may be a nice side thread, i do not think it should supplant this one, or that this one should shift in that direction.

1. i find it doubtful a thread like that could have any real longevity with only a half dozen posters. they will get bored, tired, and run out of things to post.

2. it is very hard, for me anyways, to learn only by seeing success, and trying to copy it, or do it on my own. i find the trial and error with earnest and clear criticism to work better for me.

just my opinion.

2. poorsod

poorsod Senior member

I agree that this should be a heavily curated thread. There is way too much noise and other dreck which drowns out that which is good. The posts of your pictures were the last good post in quite a while. Thanks! :slayer:

I have been an advocate of heavy handed deletion of noncontributory posts and ugly ensembles but it has fallen on deaf ears. I think the clearly ugly should be summarily deleted - no use wasting time on them. They are often cross posted on WAYWRN anyway.

3. in stitches

in stitches Kung Joo Moderator

but how will those who post ugly fits learn, if their posts are deleted and they get no feedback? is the point here to teach and learn, or just ogle good posts and pat people on the back?

noise deletion, totally unrelated conversation, troll fits, while i dont mind, i hear why they should get axed. but fits, if posted in earnest, i feel should stay for the sake of integrity and learning.

4. poorsod

poorsod Senior member

There has been such ugliness posted this thread that I suspect is one of the reasons that many quality posters are getting tired and no longer contributing. It is one thing to be a little off the mark with one or two things a miss. It is another for the ensemble to be so fundamentally flawed that there is no where to begin. Why would a knowledgeable poster waste his time commenting on something so fundamentally flawed that the simplest solution would be to start over? There has to be some minimum standard otherwise this thread will devolve into all the other failed threads.

The successful ensembles give examples to emulate. The majority of work is still on the student. There is a lot of work the student has to do on this own - reading, looking for patterns in success and failures, and practice. The constant process of self-assessment and practice is what learning is all about.

5. sugarbutch

sugarbutch Bearded Prick Dubiously Honored

I must respectfully disagree, Stitchy. WAYWRN is a viable platform for feedback. You have to be in the ballpark.

6. gdl203

gdl203 Affiliate Vendor Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

You guys can always nominate outfits to my highly edited thread (cross-post them so we can give credit to the wearer) . There isn't a ton of looks there (for good reason)

The only way such a curated thread can exist is (by definition) through the subjective eye of someone (or a small group of somewhat like-minded people). Right now, i'm the only one editing that thread, but if they'd like to, I'm happy to share the job with a few MC and SW&D DHs

Last edited: Aug 29, 2012

7. RDiaz

RDiaz Senior member

I've posted here just a couple of times, just when I thought my outfits were decent enough to be dissected shredded here rather than WAYWRN. I apologize if I contributed to the pile of crap, and +1 on curating this thread [​IMG]

8. luftvier

luftvier Senior member

If this doesn't past muster I will ruin this thread no longer and go back to lurking.
    [​IMG]

9. unbelragazzo

unbelragazzo Jewfro Dubiously Honored

Well this is Manton's thread so he should do what he wants with it. But I think some clarification from him is in order before any further discussion of what should be done to the thread and who should be posting in it.

10. unbelragazzo

Lufty - I like the big stripe on small stripe pattern matching. I don't like the olive in the tie.

11. Manton

Manton RINO Dubiously Honored

I haven't posted pics of myself in a while, first, because I was in california for weeks and I only wore a tie once and even then I didn't have to and I looked foolishly overdressed. then when I got back it was so miserably humid here that the second I get in the door I just want to get the hell out of my coat, shirt & tie; I can't stand to sweat the extra minutes it takes to get a picture.

Re: what do to with this thread, I am open to whatever.

12. unbelragazzo

A Modest Proposal: Manton, name anyone that you want to have full permission to post fits ITT. Anyone not named, you are free to post one fit per week, and try to make it your best one. No bitching about not being named. It's not personal, and there are plenty of other threads to post fits in if you want to be seen and get feedback.

If your fits meet Manton's approval consistently, he can elevate you to full permission status. All are encouraged to comment and critique heavily on anyone's fit.

13. fritzl

fritzl Senior member

is there a list who these guys are?

proposal: when a posted outfit doesn't meet the criteria of this thread, it get's spoilered instead of deleted, so the OP knows there's room for improvement and can ask for advice in a thread, which is more suitable for his "problem". doable?

14. LEVOOSH

LEVOOSH Senior member

Lufty - Can't see the square - if it is a white base the that is a miss IMO. Shirt, tie, suit is quite nice. I think Manton has a bottle green rep like that so I think you're safe.

Today:

[​IMG]

15. fritzl

fritzl Senior member

ftfy