whnay.'s good taste thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Manton, Jul 30, 2012.

1. RDiaz

RDiaz Senior member

So how's this stuff I put together today? Squarefail? Wholefail?

[​IMG] [​IMG]

2. CaymanS

CaymanS Senior member

Shirt is solid purple on white. Tie is green. Suiting is white stripes on navy.

3. dopey

dopey Senior member Dubiously Honored

I don't wear stripes like that (if I do, they are chalk stripe flannel rather than on worsted), but I do like the suiting.
    Also, when people tell you "go strong or go home," don't listen.

4. unbelragazzo

unbelragazzo Jewfro Dubiously Honored

Stitchy - nice combo, if conservative. This is a suit, yes? Shirt collar could be better.

RD - I like. Except for the shirt. It's not terrible, but it makes the whole thing a bit too colorful. I'm not sure what to suggest otherwise. Maybe a light blue pencil stripe.

5. in stitches

in stitches Kung Joo Moderator

Thanks, un. Yes it is a suit. Agree about collar. Another older BB shirt.

6. Manton

Manton RINO Dubiously Honored

Diaz, first of all, ditch th bulky knot. Second, that's the wrong tie for a coat like that. The colors are too close and the pattern is too businessy.

7. scoredtx

scoredtx Active Member

/\ Would you guys provide a short explanation on what could be better to the eye on stitches' collar? Is it too straight-collar and not enough spread? Do these features ebb and flow with fashion/trend?

8. bourbonbasted

bourbonbasted Cyber Eliitist

It has long been held that collar points should extend to the lapel of the jacket. A smaller, skimpier collar that leaves a gap of shirting underneath looks less conservative and breaks up the clean lines of a fit.

Look at the first few pages of this thread and note the proportion of the collar in regards to the tie and lapels. They extend at least to the beginning of the lapel, compliment the width of the tie and the size of its knot, and echo the formality (or informality) of the fit. A nice roll at the top of the collar and clean buttoning points (that do not show layers of shirt when worn with a tie) are also nice details.

A collar should also frame the face and be somewhat in line with the gorge, though you can't really tell either of those two things from stitch's example.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2012
  9. RDiaz

RDiaz Senior member

Thanks for the feedback. I tried a FIH and a double FIH and the thin blade was showing (I hate being short *sigh*). This is actually a Pratt, didn't know what else to do...
    What kind of tie would work for this? I'm guessing something with texture, like a grenadine?

10. scoredtx

scoredtx Active Member

Thank you. I understand that and agree with it. If I could use in stitches as a guineau pig for just a bit longer here for my own education ... is the problem the shirt, the jacket, or just bad karma between the two? I guess it's also possible everything else is OK except the fit. (Thanks for the forebearance stitch.)

>> edit: I studied your response further and have concluded that it's really everything working together. (thanks again ... this is heightening my awareness in ways I hope are helpful.)

Last edited: Aug 27, 2012
  11. unbelragazzo

unbelragazzo Jewfro Dubiously Honored

Is Manton's disdain for neats with odd jackets universal? It's not something I really feel intuitively the same way I feel that pinstripes are for business.

12. RDiaz

RDiaz Senior member

That would be interesting to know... I've always found neats less businessy than, say, stripes, plain or pin dots; but that might be because that's what I'm used to see businessmen wearing around here (and this country isn't exactly a sartorial paradise)

13. DocHolliday

DocHolliday Senior member Dubiously Honored

"Long" as in "SF likes it"?

14. bourbonbasted

bourbonbasted Cyber Eliitist

"Long" as in since roughly 2002. :D

15. gdl203

gdl203 Affiliate Vendor Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

I don't think that's a universal view, on SF or IRL. But I do share it.

I don't think that's a universal view, on SF or IRL. I don't share it. Although this specific tie (and blue neats in general, although there are exceptions) looks too business to me too.