• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

whnay.'s good taste thread

Makoto Chan

Reaction score
It would be great if Manton could edit all the photos in less than good taste with a big red X over the figures.

Slewfoot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

It would be great if Manton could edit all the photos in less than good taste with a big red X over the figures.

+1

At the very least just make it so only photos in good taste remain while others are deleted. MODS - is it possible for Manton to have administrative priveleges over this thread? Can he already since he started it (something I didn't know is possible if so)?

SpooPoker

Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

+1
At the very least just make it so only photos in good taste remain while others are deleted. MODS - is it possible for Manton to have administrative priveleges over this thread? Can he already since he started it (something I didn't know is possible if so)?

He has the power. Any of us with the DH powers can edit posts in the thread.

luftvier

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The question is whether it's worth Marton's time to do so, which I expect it's not. Better, we should exercise self-restraint. Post over in WAYWRN instead.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
i'm not home and not really that invested at the moment, in part because I am wearing t-shirts every day. When I go back to work and start wearing ties again no doubt my interest level will rise

mktitsworth

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

i'm not home and not really that invested at the moment, in part because I am wearing t-shirts every day. When I go back to work and start wearing ties again no doubt my interest level will rise

The fact that this happens makes me feel better about the world for some reason.

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

whereas this thread should be a more curated collection, like Alfred Barnes'.

alright, i was kidding. this pharagraph was the most pretentious bullshit, i have ever read on the whole internet. substitute the names. but yeah, if you guys need this. I'm ok. period.

luftvier

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

alright, i was kidding. this pharagraph was the most pretentious bullshit, i have ever read on the whole internet. substitute the names. but yeah, if you guys need this. I'm ok. period.

I think Alfred Barnes was a pretentious asshole too, so it's fitting. :happy:

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I think Alfred Barnes was a pretentious asshole too, so it's fitting. :happy:

high five, didn't know him, didn't google him hence my pleasure. cheers.

unbelragazzo

Jewfro
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
There are other "curated" threads around. Gdl's for example. They represent personal viewpoints on what are the best fits they have seen that day/week/whatever.

The point of this thread, as I understand it, is to presuppose that there is such a thing as good taste, and it is possible for outfits to be in bad taste. WAYWRN is very open to anyone, and there isn't much criticism. There's a significant number of posters that have the view of "here's what I wore today and I like it, if you don't like it, oh well, we just have different tastes." This thread is meant as a refuge for those who believe there is good and bad in the world of clothing, and that these views are not personal, but in some sense universal. If you don't "get it", or "have a different style", that's your fault for not having good taste, not the fault of others for being closed-minded. This doesn't mean that pics in bad taste will necessarily be deleted, but if you post you have to be willing to get pilloried for your sins, and then don't come back posting the same type of things over and over again waiting for opinions to change.

Again, this thread is not a place to debate the assumptions made by this thread, as stated above. By posting, you're basically saying you're willing to live under those assumptions while you're here. If any of this is mis-stated by me, Manton, please edit.

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

KObalto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

look like this of great taste and style, imo.

You need to know the back story. Barnes donated the collection to a college but with so many impossible conditions that the school spent years in litigation trying to make the bequest less onerous.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads