1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

whnay.'s good taste thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Manton, Jul 30, 2012.

1. clapeyron

clapeyron Senior member

I was on the edge of my seat during that entire six minute single take tracking shot. True detective season 2 has a tough act to follow. Time will tell if Vince Vaughn is able to pull a Bryan Cranston.

1 person likes this.
  2. sugarbutch

sugarbutch Senior member Dubiously Honored

True Detective worked more as a mood piece for me. Beautifully shot, intense performances, but at the end I didn't feel like there was much payoff.

2 people like this.
  3. PCK1

PCK1 Senior member

The Wire.

1 person likes this.
  4. lawyerdad

lawyerdad Senior member

Wanted to like this, but it felt forced to me - like a wannabe Twin Peaks. I think Sugarbutch's comment is spot-on. (Much the same could be said of TP - cool vibe and some fun characters, but ultimately fell apart as story-telling.)

Yes.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2014
  5. mktitsworth

mktitsworth Senior member

I feel vindicated.

Taking time to read back through the day, I'm surprised that The Simpsons have not come up before this in the conversation. They were absolutely ground breaking, and knowledge of them is ubiquitous around the world.

I would assume you're familiar with who Kevin Smith is(Clerks, Mallrats, Dogma, Red State). You may (or may not) be happy to know that whenever the question of "best TV shows ever" comes up during one of his podcasts, he absolutely advocates for Roseanne. It's really because of him that it's on my list of things to watch.

Really? Maybe it's because I prefer serials to episodes, but I found the most recent season a welcome change from what had become the monotony of ISIS. My wife hadn't seen it so we went back and rewatched it from the beginning, and by early-mid season 4 it had gotten stale. Season 5 brought something new and interesting again.

6. dieworkwear

dieworkwear Senior member

Don't know who Kevin Smith is or what's Clerks, Mallrats, Dogma, etc. Actually not that informed when it comes to TV. Haven't seen The Wire, Mad Men, Sopranos, Firefly, or lots of other stuff.

I've seen Batman the Animated Series though. Great show.

7. mktitsworth

Kevin Smith launched the careers of Matt Damon and Ben Affleck. His film "Chasing Amy" is part of the Criterion Collection. He has done some very cool stuff.

8. peppercorn78

peppercorn78 Senior member

And oddly enough, I find the reality show "Comic Book Men" to be his most compelling work.

Not joking.

9. greger

greger Senior member

When in third grade this one kid in class wouldn't leave the house until Batman was over, so the school bus had to wait.

10. MGD83

MGD83 Senior member

Dexter - season 1 & 2 only though

11. toscano_adottato

toscano_adottato Senior member

Hannibal

1 person likes this.
  12. MGD83

MGD83 Senior member

Hannibal is quite good - I enjoyed the first 2 seasons so far. Looking forward to the third next year.

13. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

The Killing is a wannabe Twin Peaks. I enjoyed it though.

14. patrickBOOTH

I rewatched this recently after about 14 years of seeing it. It was eyeroll worthy. At 15 it was much better than 29.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  15. mktitsworth

I'm not as fond of it now as I was then, but it's hard not to see why it was culturally relevant.

16. patrickBOOTH

Very true, I somewhat think socially we (America) have come a long way since that film was made and a lot of the interesting discussions related to sexuality are fairly commonplace today. Maybe, I am just older now and more mature, but I remember thinking back in the day there was social strides made in that film.

17. mktitsworth

Such is the nature of the avant-garde though. Hugo Ball's performance of "Karawane" in what looks like a banana suit was absolutely unthinkable in 1916. Ginsberg's Howl for Carl Solomon had him brought up on charges. While both of these are far more meaningful cultural milestones than Chasing Amy, they both exemplify the same thing. Ball's performance would be unsurprising - even mild - to audiences today. Howl is still banned, but we now have plenty of cultural creations far more obscene. Chasing Amy shows SDCC - now a major cultural event in the US - back in 1995 when people were still selling and talking about comics. It's not just the issues of sexuality the movie dealt with that have become common place, but the majority of the cultures involved. The movie definitely made strides and was ahead of its time.

1 person likes this.
  18. Claghorn

Claghorn Senior member Dubiously Honored

[​IMG]

Will proxy.

1 person likes this.
  19. UrbanComposition

UrbanComposition Senior member

I saw Raising Hope, Chris, and my wife and I laughed. Still think Arrested Development is better, but it's good.

Anyone see "orange is the new black"? Looks interesting.

20. mktitsworth

Orange is the new black is phenomenal.

1 person likes this.