• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

whnay.'s good taste thread

RDiaz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

WANT

Yeah, the cloth is out of stock, but I find it surprising that something like that can't be found somewhere else. Even Brooks Brothers sells (or used to sell) a district check jacket that is similar - Pliny has it...

Not the same thing, but perhaps close enough.

Last edited:

JPHardy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
RD,

RDiaz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
JPHardy, that's not bad, but it seems too monochrome (just brown and white besides the blue overcheck). I think the different shades of brown on a cream ground is what makes the Riviera nicer. I have seen several gun clubs that look similar to the Riviera, but they all have a red overcheck, which I don't like. Someone must make something with blue, I haven't found one yet :p

YRR92

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Can a fancy stripe be in good taste?

Shoez:

YRR92

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So, ix-nay on the irt-shay? What if it was a light blue with a white stripe, with the same widths? Is it perverse that I think that would be worse? I normally have a pretty strong preference for stripes that are the same width. I made an exception for this shirt, but the pattern is my least favorite thing about it.

YRR92

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Actually, 2/3 liked it. So...
It was fifty-fifty when I started typing.
smile.gif

Also, I'll respond to both of your comments here (thanks for the compliments) -- what kind of socks would you suggest instead?

Caustic Man

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
It was fifty-fifty when I started typing.
smile.gif

Also, I'll respond to both of your comments here (thanks for the compliments) -- what kind of socks would you suggest instead?

Fair enough.

I would suggest something darker. It doesn't have to match the trousers or anything that mundane, but those are just too light. They look almost athletic. I might have gone with an argyle in grey and navy.

YRR92

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Fair enough.

I would suggest something darker. It doesn't have to match the trousers or anything that mundane, but those are just too light. They look almost athletic. I might have gone with an argyle in grey and navy.
If I'd had the right argyle for the rest of what I had on, it would have been my choice. I figured plain navy was less elegant than these. I picked up a number of them very cheaply, based on a photo of Fred Astaire in Gentleman, which is a choice which could only be more iGent-ish if it had been a photo of Agnelli.

Caustic Man

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
If I'd had the right argyle for the rest of what I had on, it would have been my choice. I figured plain navy was less elegant than these. I picked up a number of them very cheaply, based on a photo of Fred Astaire in Gentleman, which is a choice which could only be more iGent-ish if it had been a photo of Agnelli.

I honestly can't comment on whether it's more or less correct, historically speaking. Fred Astaire notwithstanding, I simply think it breaks up the line of the trousers too much. I little bit of color in the socks can be good, but a serious break in color or shade has to be done very carefully.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads