1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

whnay.'s good taste thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Manton, Jul 30, 2012.

1. sprout2

sprout2 Senior member

I'm always ticked to imagine that the menswear legends, after a good day posing in Liverano & Liverano or Rubinacci, roll up their sleeves for a heady round of World of Warcraft while the rest of us settle for mere newspapers [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  2. emptym

emptym Senior member Moderator

I don't know if these are good, but I'm wearing two different ones in these pics. First one's color is true. Second one is a little off. First sport coat is charcoal. Second's green.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Looking at them now, the square might be too matchy to the pants in the first one, but I don't think too much about what I'm going to wear, as it prob. shows.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2014
    2 people like this.
  3. archibaldleach

archibaldleach Senior member

^ I'm generally not a fan of solid silk squares, but I can definitely see cream silk working better than white linen with most odd jacket combinations.

2 people like this.
  4. lordsuperb

lordsuperb Senior member

5. Cantabrigian

Cantabrigian Senior member

Here's what MS Paint had to say about it.

[​IMG]

I'm honestly trying to look at this with as unbiasedly as possible but my eye immediately goes to the white shirt (since the DJ is really too dark to see) and then I just can't shake the feeling that the square should be the same pure white.

As GDL said before, the off-white just looks off. White.

1 person likes this.
  6. johanm

johanm Senior member

Really love both of these sportcoats emptym.

However these pics, as well as the ones mafoofan posted, are turning me off cream squares altogether. I'm not a fan of the warm yellow/gold undertones juxtaposed against shirts with a white base.

I always thought the cream color in question was off-white with a slight cool grey/pink tinge, like this:

[​IMG]

7. emptym

^Thanks J. The second one is more like the one in your pic. The first one is more golden, although it was taken in the near sunset, so it's a little less so irl.

8. archibaldleach

@lordsuperb, I like the jacket. Tie works well with the jacket. Hard to tell from the picture about the shirt and square. I think a light blue shirt with a bit of texture (e.g. end-on-end or maybe a herringbone would work well), but can't quite tell much about the shirt from the photo. Would be interested to know what color trousers you are wearing with this too. I think a patterned square of some sort would be better here than what you have (looks like white or cream of some sort).

9. sprout2

sprout2 Senior member

I see what you did there.

10. ctp120

ctp120 Senior member

While I strongly object to :foo:'s attack on the aesthetic value of the white linen square, neither do I agree with those who think a cream square always looks bad or like a dirty white one. I used to think the latter was true but changed my mind due to two factors: 1) :foo:'s pics and tireless championing of it on SF; and 2) receiving one as a thoughtful gift from David Hober to accompany a bespoke tie order a few years back.

Here are some pics of my cream square in action, including two times with a white shirt:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And, just for fun, here are a few with white linen for comparison's sake:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I have little doubt :foo: will object to all of these, btw, cream square or no--but conversation like this always benefits from pics, IMO.

3 people like this.
  11. DocHolliday

DocHolliday Senior member Dubiously Honored

TBH, I've never seen a solid cream square used in a way that wouldn't be improved by a patterned square with a cream base.

4 people like this.
  12. emptym

Nice stuff, C. FWIW, I like the wider lapels, slightly bellied of the charcoal suit and teal sportcoat much better than the narrower, sometimes concave ones.

That could be true, DH.

13. Cantabrigian

I do think that's part of it.

I missed a few years but this is probably the best thing I've seen :foo: post. And a white linen square would be all wrong here:

3 people like this.
  14. archibaldleach

^ Thanks for the pictures. I think that the cream works best in an odd jacket context / with a blue shirt and that white linen works best with a white shirt. I only really like white linen with a somewhat citified suit (including grey flannel here) or blazer and greys. Anything more countrified and I think the contrast between the crisp formality of the white linen and a more casual outfit just looks a bit off.

15. ctp120

ctp120 Senior member

I tend to agree. I've found that the white linen is always ok but does looks best with suits and summer weight sport coats, whereas the solid cream silk thrives with fall/winter sport coats. I also agree with Doc that a patterned square with cream ground is often better than the solid cream, especially with sport coats and patterned suits.

See e.g.:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The former, less-visible one is the Rubinacci victory square. Ground looks light blue or cream depending on how it's stuffed.

16. ctp120

ctp120 Senior member

Thanks. Interesting. I like the teal coat's lapels best (though I wish it were 3r2 instead of 2 btn), and the charcoal striped suit's lapels the least--just a little too big proportionally for my chest; that whole coat just doesn't fit as well though.

17. emptym

^Ya, the teal is perfect, but the charcoals great imo. Would be easy to add a button and hole to the teal, no?

FWIW, wrt Johanm's post above, here's a pic of the two squares worn above next to a white one. The lighting here's more neutral.

[​IMG]

I think Foo's cream Charvet square is looks paler irl than in that pic w/ the tux.

Canta, that is a great combo in that last Foo pic, but -- judging just by the pic -- all the parts look like they match closely.

18. lordsuperb

lordsuperb Senior member

Shirt is a light blue End on End.

19. Gwarg

Gwarg Senior member

Don't you find the matchiness of the flower/square to be too conspicuous? :foo:

20. Cantabrigian

Really great stuff all around, ctp.

I thought these two comparisons were interesting: