1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

whnay.'s good taste thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Manton, Jul 30, 2012.

1. ylkim30

ylkim30 Well-Known Member

Here's a question:

What types of odd-trousers are appropriate besides medium gray and possibly light gray? I'm assuming a khaki/tan odd-trouser is also appropriate. (also that charcoal and navy are both inappropriate).

2. mafoofan

mafoofan Senior member Dubiously Honored

I assume he smacked his head that morning. He looks like he fell out of Jos. A. Bank catalogue.

2 people like this.
  3. in stitches

in stitches Senior member Moderator

Oh hai, pB!

1 person likes this.
  4. mafoofan

Yep. Wilder colors are preferable to charcoal, too. After all, odd trousers are supposed to be casual and odd.

5. dieworkwear

dieworkwear Senior member

http://lookatmyfuckingredtrousers.blogspot.com/

Last edited: Oct 24, 2014
  6. Cantabrigian

Cantabrigian Senior member

Being a boyscout or forest ranger is the only excuse for owning a tan shirt.

7. in stitches

All kinds of tans, browns, olives.....

8. archibaldleach

archibaldleach Senior member

I would say that I am mostly against charcoal odd trousers. I have one pair that I thought was going to be closer to a medium grey (serves me right for buying off an online photo) that I only wear with one odd jacket. Otherwise, they only come into play when I am going sans jacket and that is a different ballgame from the traditional classic menswear / good taste thread discussion. From what I've read and seen in my time here, Foo is an advocate of optimization (making conscious choices to make outfits look better) as well as simplification (reducing number of choices one has to make, e.g. mostly blue shirts, the OneShoe, light grey flannel trousers (forget what he went with for summer)). In that framework, you generally want as many pieces of your wardrobe as possible to work together.

The reality is that a man could be elegantly dressed every single day wearing nothing but light grey or medium grey odd trousers (assuming an odd jacket and trouser wardrobe). The lack of variety might drive one crazy (though in Foo's case it probably makes him more sane), but there are plenty of colors that work on top of light or medium grey odd trousers. While it may not be optimal, you can also wear some tweeds that resolve to a grey here too. If you deviate from these light or medium grey odd trousers based on asking yourself, "How many outfits will actually look better with this trouser instead of light or medium grey?", it will be awhile before you get to charcoal. You probably at least find some tan and brown trousers first. There might be some things that work better with charcoal (though in most cases a non-charcoal dark grey is probably better than a true charcoal), but if you really need charcoal trousers to complete the look with a particular jacket, buying that jacket was probably a mistake. For most men, an odd jacket that is extremely hard to pair is not something that they should own. If you have a normal budget and a normal sized closet, you only have room for so many pieces and you don't want things that only work in a one off or very limited setting. Since charcoal trousers sort of fit into the limited use category (different argument if we are talking about people who do not need to wear a jacket IMO), why bother with them.

2 people like this.
  9. edmorel

edmorel Senior member Dubiously Honored

depends if you are looking for office pants, house pants or pents.

1 person likes this.
  10. UrbanComposition

UrbanComposition Senior member

:fu:
    Can we just agree that charcoal pants are fine unless there's a better option (which there usually - but not always - is)?

2 people like this.
  11. in stitches

Pents. Always pents.

Define "we" please. ;)

12. dieworkwear

dieworkwear Senior member

Is this another short joke?

3 people like this.
  13. mafoofan

No, that one is clearly racial.

14. in stitches

This thread has turned me into a bigot. :(

15. sugarbutch

sugarbutch Senior member Dubiously Honored

There seems to be a lot of overlap between people who don't like "northern lights" combos and those who don't like charcoal/dark gray odd trousers.

2 people like this.
  16. sugarbutch

sugarbutch Senior member Dubiously Honored

Also, Elio, I liked your combo. To wear it with light gray would also look good, but it would have a completely different effect.

1 person likes this.
  17. Stencil

Stencil Senior member

Well, by way of moving on, I'll submit a few photos of my own.

Very CBD, featuring the world's ugliest carpeting:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Same suit, only slightly less CBD:
    [​IMG]

Can't quite recall my motivation for that square in the second fit. I feel like a more abstract silk or plain linen would have been safer. Both are boring, but in good taste?

1 person likes this.
  18. Cantabrigian

Cantabrigian Senior member

Tough to argue with that, Stencil.

I don't like the second tie. And don't like that square with that tie. But bad taste seems like a stretch.

I think this also illustrates the Grossman-Stiglitz paradox of this thread. If everything is really conservative / pretty good, there isn't really any reason for people to comment. It's all like 'hmmm. yea. okay. If there's nothing else Imma go back to the Noodles thread.'

But if you get a lot of people posting awful stuff, they get all mad and mopey and it's no fun for anyone.

3 people like this.
  19. EliodA

EliodA Senior member

Wow, just waking up to see that my request for opinions on the charcoal trousers has been generously honoured...
    So, thanks for the educating discussion, gentlemen. Can I conclude that, though they're not versatile and not always appropriate, in this case they're not in bad taste?
    Next time I'll post a fit with navy trousers. ;)

@Stencil though I like that second tie, I wouldn't call that CBD. Too loud, IMO.

20. mafoofan

This is CBD, yes. But CBD is a distinction of formality and appropriateness, not taste. Unless you are wearing black tie, a white shirt paired with a white square is a cardinal sin--and even in black tie, a cream square would be so much less banal. The pairing is far too graphic and obvious. A pocket square should never draw particular attention. Yet, when so perfectly matched to your shirt, it cannot help but draw the eye. That it is white only makes it more distracting. Also, two different materials in the same color should never be worn together. We can go into why, but I'm sure you can think on it yourself. Lots of people will say that you can never go wrong with a white linen square, but they are relying on rote wisdom that doesn't withstand much scrutiny. Whether a thing is offensive to etiquette or common sense is a different question from whether it looks good. The white stripes in the tie don't help matters, as they turn your obvious pair into an obvious triplet. Obvious things stand out. If you want to dress well, you don't want your pocket square or your tie or your shirt or how neatly they all match to draw more attention than your outfit as a whole. Black shoes with a regimental tie? Not very coherent in terms of formality. Brown shoes are more casual and would thus pair better.
    The poof is nicely done, but the tie and square are too similarly dense in pattern and too similarly saturated in color. Also, I've spoken about this before, but you should avoid outfits where your tie and square are the only two patterned things. It pairs them together. Of all things to standout, you cannot pick worse than your pocket square and tie.