1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

whnay.'s good taste thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Manton, Jul 30, 2012.

1. Stencil

Stencil Senior member

I'm proving to myself that a childhood spent in the company of an economist was not entirely wasted, if only because it affords me the occasional opportunity to make terrible puns.

2. sugarbutch

sugarbutch Senior member Dubiously Honored

How does sky blue not go with charcoal, Canta? And pB, I suspect it's not too boring for you, just not boring enough. Make the grenadine silver and it would be right up your street.

3. Cantabrigian

Cantabrigian Senior member

I'd probably go for a neat with a dark background - burgundy, brown, green would all be good. Burnt orange would also work though that's a more American look (like DOW / Crimsonsox said).

Provided you have the right shade, a navy or grey ground would work as well.

A greyer shade of blue is fine. Though the darker the better since white shirt + light colored tie is actually a tough look to do well and generally better in the summer.

Solid black is a layup.

4. Cantabrigian

I revoke my objection.

1 person likes this.
  5. Stencil

Stencil Senior member

Burgundy or bottle green were my other thoughts.

6. Cantabrigian

Just looks off to me. Strikes me as an only slightly upgraded version of black suit + white shirt + bright tie.

If you're going for a dark suit with a powder blue tie, I think the suit has to be navy. Or at least navy will look a heck of a lot better.

If you're going to wear a grey suit, the lighter the shade the better. I'd also vastly prefer a pure grey to a grey-black mix like sharkskin or birdseye or nailshead.

1 person likes this.
  7. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

Oh it looked navy to me. I just hate powder blue ties to begin with

8. archibaldleach

archibaldleach Senior member

For the record, I've also worn this suit with a silver / grey grenadine and grey POW tie. I tend to stick to pretty boring ties when wearing my white shirts. I've also found that medium grey suits are IMO easier to pair with ties (navy IMO looks better with a medium grey suit than charcoal).

9. Stencil

Stencil Senior member

I agree with this only in the case of light grays. Otherwise, can't imagine why you'd want an already sedate shade of gray to be even more sedate.

10. archibaldleach

While we're on this topic...

Looking through just a few of my mediocre photos, I do think the silver/grey tie with a navy suit is a better look than the light blue tie with a charcoal suit. Perhaps this is because navy is generally richer and warmer than grey, making the white shirt and lighter tie look a bit less stark by comparison. I still think intellectually that a dark suit should work with a light tie and that light ties work best on white shirts, as they will always be darker than the shirt in question. The medium grey suit also seems a lot more versatile than the charcoal suit in some ways, while a navy suit despite being dark remains versatile. Photos and notes on the outfits spoilered (2-3 are the same suit, 4-6 are the same suit in spite of the lighting).

1. Charcoal suit, white shit and sky blue tie that was the source of much controversy
    2. Medium grey suit, white shirt, POW tie
    3. Medium grey suit, white shirt, midnight tie
    4. Light navy suit, white shirt, grey tie
    5. Light navy suit, white shirt, sky blue linen tie
    6. Light navy suit, white shirt, silver/grey grenadine

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

11. sprout2

sprout2 Senior member

I think that tonally, the lightness of the sky blue makes the charcoal appear dull and lifeless. In terms of luminance, these are on opposite ends of the spectrum. Whereas the medium tones harmonize with the charcoal and make it appear rich. Contrast is good, but not to such an extreme. I guess the photonegative inverse of this would be a jet black tie with a light beige or white suit. I can't really visualize that one, but it would probably look similarly jarring.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2014
  12. Count de Monet

Count de Monet Senior member

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  13. Stugotes

Stugotes Senior member

I like the first one best. By far.

14. ctp120

ctp120 Senior member

While each is surely ok as is, I'd much prefer if the first and last outfits swapped ties (would also help if the navy suit was a little darker). In the hierarchy of dark-suit-white-shirt-light-colored-tie combinations, charcoal/silver=top notch and navy/soft blue=top notch. Common factor is that in each combo the suit and tie are in the same range of color but strongly contrast in shade so as to avoid being monochrome.

Ignoring fit, details, and texture and focusing only on color, see illustrations:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 11, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  15. Cantabrigian

I think you're taking what I said the wrong way.

Though I didn't spell it out in the bit you quoted, I was talking only in the very specific case that you're wearing a powder blue tie - i.e. you start with the assumption that you'll wear that tie and build an outfit around it (which is weird but probably something forumites do).

In general I prefer fabrics with a little visual interest. So I actually prefer greys mixed with black to add a bit of texture. I love sharkskin, birdseye and nailshead. Even fairly light versions of those.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2014
  16. Cantabrigian

FWIW I think you're right. Navy is very versatile in that it goes with almost color shirt or tie and medium grey is more versatile than charcoal.

I don't have a problem with that since I think fewer ties usuall equals more steez.

1 person likes this.
  17. archibaldleach

@ctp120, the suit is a lighter navy in wool linen for summer. I didn't have any good photos of a darker navy suit with the ties in question. I do like how a dark navy suit works with light blue and grey ties, though.

18. Stencil

Stencil Senior member

Got it. My bad.

19. presidente

presidente Well-Known Member

Not sure if it's my computer screen, but is that a silver tie with a blue shirt, or is it just the lighting?

20. ctp120

ctp120 Senior member

[​IMG]

Shoes (not pictured) were these, fwiw.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 17, 2014
    6 people like this.