• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

whnay.'s good taste thread

knittieguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Manton

RINO
Reaction score

PS is a disaster with this combo, and the shirt/tie combo is on very thin ice. Basically a cluster when you shmoosh it all together. Suit is nice, though.

I think, in hindsight, it was the wrong square.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
knitty, the worst thing about that IMO is the cut of the suit. It looks like a big block of granite. My reasons for disliking the true three have been stated over and over but that's a good illustration of the problems.

TweedyProf

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
MIght I ask about good taste in shirt collar heights? Some of the recent pics in this thread are sporting nice high collars (Manton, Slew, ColdEye, Patrick). Slewfoot had a pretty fantastic BD with a two button collar which must have stood pretty tall. I'm a long-neck type, so looking into higher collars (Patrick has kindly given advice in another thread).

But how much collar to show relative to jacket collar is in good taste? I'm guessing with standard OTR shirt and jacket collar, this is on average 0.25 to 0.5 inch. a Higher collar would probably be 0.75 to 1 inch. Too much for good taste in us non-bespoke types?

Holdfast

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I don't typically dress within the parameters of this thread, but my outsider's opinion would suggest that the jacket is not only too short (not necessarily an issue to some, I'm sure), but it appears very pinched. That is to say, the bottom hem doesn't appear level (ie not even within the bounds of an acceptably slightly long front balance, which I know some like). I don't think this can be just a photo angle artefact, but of course I may be wrong. A side view would probably be more revealing in this regard. I should caveat that I'm not a tailor nor an expert in fitting clothes (as with all good philistines, "I just know what I like". :p )

Anyway, I post in this thread mainly because today being a busy day of appointments, I thought it might be fun to dress a bit more seriously than normal. It made me wonder how close the following is to the parameters of the thread. My personal feeling is that it just breaks out from its parameters on the basis of spot size in the tie, and (maybe) the square. But it's the closest I generally get so have at it... :D

Spoilered so as not to disrupt the more typical flow of the thread:

YoAdL.jpg

Last edited:

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Those dots are fine with me, it's when they get bigger that you start to have problems. I think that's about as big as dots can get and always be safe.

My one nitpick is that I like the square and I think the whole upper half works well, if you are going to wear an earthy sqaure like that, you need brown shoes. Black shoes require a crisper, more citified square.

Last edited:

whnay.

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

I think, in hindsight, it was the wrong square.

Really? I think it was the wrong tie...but don't take advice from me on tie selection!

Last edited:

knittieguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

knitty, the worst thing about that IMO is the cut of the suit. It looks like a big block of granite. My reasons for disliking the true three have been stated over and over but that's a good illustration of the problems.

Appreciate the comment, but my understanding was that the focus here was on the color and fabric combinations, not the fit of the suit, which admittedly is a bit too big on me, but also exaggerated in the photo by my raised arm position.

It's actually a Pratt Shelby knot. I normally only go with four-in-hands for knits, and Pratt-Shelby's for everything else, but the four-in-hand looked tiny with this knit and collar, for some reason.

whnay.

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

MIght I ask about good taste in shirt collar heights? Some of the recent pics in this thread are sporting nice high collars (Manton, Slew, ColdEye, Patrick). Slewfoot had a pretty fantastic BD with a two button collar which must have stood pretty tall. I'm a long-neck type, so looking into higher collars (Patrick has kindly given advice in another thread).

But how much collar to show relative to jacket collar is in good taste? I'm guessing with standard OTR shirt and jacket collar, this is on average 0.25 to 0.5 inch. a Higher collar would probably be 0.75 to 1 inch. Too much for good taste in us non-bespoke types?

I like high(er) collars, generally speaking, but show no more than an 1.5 inches above the suit collar.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score

Really? I think it was the wrong tie...but don't take advice from me on tie selection!

I like the tie, it's linen and the stripes are rust. The colors on that pic are slightly off, the tie stripes are duller IRL and the shirt is a bit brighter (but still rather pale).

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
HF, oh hell, I did not notice the blue stripe in the suit, yeah, can't get with that.

Papa, I think that earthy tie needs a blue shirt. Or the white shirt needs a different tie.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads