1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

whnay.'s good taste thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Manton, Jul 30, 2012.

1. EliodA

EliodA Senior member

Or a navy knit.

1 person likes this.
  2. kulata

kulata Senior member

Closet thing I have to a knit tie is a Navy grenadine fina. I haven't found a knit that isn't skinny i.e. > 3 inches.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2014
  3. SkinnyGoomba

SkinnyGoomba Senior member

Charvet and RLPL are normal width IIRC, they are at least wide enough that they do not appear skinny.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2014
    2 people like this.
  4. Veremund

Veremund Senior member

Can't go wrong with a Charvet knit!

1 person likes this.
  5. MGD83

MGD83 Senior member

I do like the sozzi knit ties even though they are only about 7.5 cm. I think a square tipped knit tie looks best at that width anyways.

1 person likes this.
  6. zeero3

zeero3 Senior member

I was under the impression a 2.5 - 2.75 in square tipped knit was practically ideal. Are 3.25 - 3.5 in knits now coming in to vogue?

7. brokencycle

brokencycle Senior member

I haven't seen them. I like my knits in the ~2.75" range because my normal ties are ~3.25"

8. Mr. Six

Mr. Six Senior member

I feel good about these fits and welcome feedback about how to make them even better. I'll try five more next week.

1. [​IMG]

2. [​IMG]

3. [​IMG]

4. [​IMG]

5. [​IMG]

4 people like this.
  9. MGD83

MGD83 Senior member

All winners. To nitpick just 1 of them, I can't see the pocket square in pic #3. All of the fits looks great.

10. EliodA

EliodA Senior member

As MGD83 said, lots of win here. So for some nitpicking:
    1. Is the PS lilac? Don't like that colour very much here. And I feel a different fold would work better, this quasi TV fold looks a bit off to me.
    3. Same PS as 1?
    5. Bit too busy, IMO. Either a less busy tie with that shirt, or a plain shirt with that tie.

1 person likes this.
  11. in stitches

in stitches Senior member Moderator

same issue here. i understand that knits are supposed to be narrower, but its still a no go for me.

this. otherwise, mostly really nice stuff.

12. sugarbutch

sugarbutch Senior member Dubiously Honored

I have a wider knit, and the issue with it turns out to be the knot. Since it doesn't taper like a sewn tie, the knot can be pretty hefty. I'm sure it's something that could be accounted for in the design, but as it is, you end up with a great width and a so-so knot.

13. YRR92

YRR92 Senior member

What about that shirt and tie with a white linen square?

Which, admittedly, makes it almost exactly what Mr. P posted quite recently, but hey.

14. brokencycle

brokencycle Senior member

They're all good, but I have a few nitpicks. #1 I don't like the square's fold. #2 I'm not 100% on the tie and square color with the grey suit because I don't get any earth tone from it. #3 Same as #1 #5 a solid blue shirt would probably be best.

15. zeero3

zeero3 Senior member

I agree with this. For #5, I feel like this should all work, and it isn't bad, I just can't put my finger on why this doesn't work like I think it should.

16. MGD83

MGD83 Senior member

Not crazy about the tie in #5, although I do love the other 4. Big prints like that are really hard to wear, and they always look a little dated to my eyes anyways. But it looks like Six has some great suits in his wardrobe and a good eye for colour. Just need some work on the pocket square folds and a bit of fine tuning in finding the right colour combinations with your ties.

1 person likes this.
  17. EliodA

EliodA Senior member

Compared to Mr.P's recent fit, which does work, Mr. Six's shirt has stripes with too much contrast, while the contrast with the tie is not strong enough, IMHO.
    (Sounds a bit like a quote from Reservoir Dogs, this Mr. P and Mr. 6 [​IMG])

18. Mr. Six

Mr. Six Senior member

I appreciate the feedback, everyone.

It's interesting and instructive that a grey pocket square elicited the most criticism, but as a result of the comments, I'll think about how I use it in the future. Since some of you wondered, it's the same square in 1 and 3. It's two shades of grey with a maroon hexagon in the middle. The fold is something I saw one of the Italian maestros do (can't remember which). It involves wrapping the square around itself and is kind of like a sideways monkey paw but allows both shades of grey and the maroon to show. What's interesting is that I actually intended it to be as unobtrusive and low contrast as possible with just a bit of color showing and complementing other colors in each fit. Instead it caught a lot of attention, so I will rethink how I use it.

That one has me stumped a bit. To me, green, grey, and tan/beige are pretty universally complementary. If you care to, I'd be interested in hearing more about what you mean.

Regarding #5, I think I'm just going to have to disagree, although the critiques are useful, and I will think about them. There is a fair amount going on, but to my eye it's all coherent, although perhaps at the edge of the range of contrast for this thread. I got interested in trying to incorporate some larger scale neats from a couple of foo's fits from early in the thread. His are definitely lower contrast, but other than that, I think that mine compares favorably. SF seems mostly to have an aversion to large scale neats, so there aren't a lot of examples about how to use it. I think it's visually interesting, so I'm committed to solving this puzzle. And just my preference, but I wouldn't use a plain linen square with that tie. I think the tie and square would be at odds. I might use either a cream silk or cream cashmere square, thought. In fact, next time I reach for that tie, I'll give one of those a try (although I really like it with that green square).

A couple of foo samples:
    Another use of the same tie. I might like this fit better, but decided to use the other one. My guess is that others also might prefer it because of the lower contrast.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 6, 2014
  19. YRR92

YRR92 Senior member

That makes perfect sense. Thank you.

By the way, I think some of your recent posts have convinced me to buy a gingham dress shirt -- though mine probably won't be from Kiton. [​IMG]

20. circumspice

circumspice Senior member

Are 1 and 3 the same square? I think a white linen square would work better, as well as a rework of the fold.