1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

whnay.'s good taste thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Manton, Jul 30, 2012.

1. lordsuperb

lordsuperb Senior member

2. archibaldleach

archibaldleach Senior member

^ Considering the original intent of the thread and the manner in which good taste is being judged, I'd have to say this doesn't qualify as being in good taste in my opinion. I'm not personally a fan of the tie or the pocket square, but in any event I think the tie would look much better on a light blue background than on a white one. I don't have an issue with purple ties in general if they are done correctly, but I think a solid or semi-solid tie would have worked much better here. A plain white pocket square probably would be better here too. The one you have doesn't match exactly (nor should it ever of course), but it is a bit too close to the tie in appearance.

I don't love bold windowpane suits either, but I don't think they're objectively in bad taste.

3. YRR92

YRR92 Senior member

I hope Doc Holliday swings through. White shirt/big paisley mob 2k14.

But the square's just bad, especially with the tie, and I don't think the shirt/tie are right for the suit.

4. lordsuperb

lordsuperb Senior member

What color shirt for the suit, pink or cream? What color shirt would go well with the tie?

5. YRR92

YRR92 Senior member

Blue shirt would be nice with that. Pink, cream, blue, or a blue stripe would be great with that suit. I think a striped or neat tie would be a good choice with that.

6. in stitches

in stitches Senior member Moderator

i have no issue with the shirt. infer from that what you will.

7. lordsuperb

lordsuperb Senior member

Ouch tough crowd, I guess you live and learn.

8. in stitches

Lol. Sorry bout that. The jacket is also nice. Dont like the tie regardless of setting, PS is ok.

9. Cantabrigian

Cantabrigian Senior member

This

10. Pliny

Pliny Senior member

Moonbeam ls?

11. lordsuperb

lordsuperb Senior member

Drapers' Lady Sanfelice & Flannels

1 person likes this.
  12. lordsuperb

lordsuperb Senior member

13. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

14. TRINI

TRINI Senior member

Is that a Canadian flag in your pocket?

3 people like this.
  15. lordsuperb

lordsuperb Senior member

Close, I have to represent my colors I'm a real OG. What pocket square would work with the jacket?

16. TRINI

TRINI Senior member

[​IMG]

Puffed.

4 people like this.
  17. in stitches

PS aside, and not that i have anything against white shirts, but do you specifically prefer them?

18. archibaldleach

archibaldleach Senior member

Better. The tie and jacket are not bad. Not a fan of the pocket square at all. The formal white dress shirt also seems completely out of place with a casual odd jacket and that tie. If you must use a white shirt, at least get an OCBD for use with odd jackets like that. I still think a light blue shirt would be much better here. The main benefit to white shirts IMO are the crispness and air of formality; once you are wearing that jacket and tie you are definitely out of the formal range. Depending on your tastes, I'd consider light blue end-on-end shirts or light blue OCBDs.

Also consider trying to make looks work without a pocket square. Generally unless you are an expert at picking out and pairing pocket squares (or are using white linen with a suit and tie), a pocket square is more likely to detract from your look than enhance it. When done badly, it can turn an otherwise decent look into eliciting a WTF response. Granted it elevates an otherwise good look when done well, but I am not sure the risk is worth it. Plus the fewer variables you have to play with, the faster you'll get the hang of some of this stuff.

Last edited: May 6, 2014
    4 people like this.
  19. in stitches

20. lordsuperb

lordsuperb Senior member

I like how crisp the white shirts look against my skin, and I buy in moderation so I have to work with what I have for now. Also this was the only pocket square aside from a white linen that looked decent.

I'll keep trying until I get it nailed down, thanks for the advice.