1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

whnay.'s good taste thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Manton, Jul 30, 2012.

1. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

I have dedicated leather boots with vibrams for the snow and ice. When I got them I thought I would confidently be able to trudge through the rough winter terrain that is NYC, but alas I still baby them and fear the puddles.

1 person likes this.
  2. in stitches

in stitches Senior member Moderator

this. i hate road salt with a fiery passion.

1 person likes this.
  3. YRR92

YRR92 Senior member

Curious as to how you specced these out / what they look like.

4. patrickBOOTH

Not good taste thread worthy. They are skull crushers. Come up very high with double buckles.

5. coldsalmon

coldsalmon Senior member

For a real snow day in NYC, I figure all bets are off. I go with my Zamberlan hiking boots and machine-washable chinos. I like being able to step on anything. I have some passable loafers that I keep at the office. I was toying with the idea of some Cordovan boots with commando soles, but who am I kidding? I am not going to splash around in salty puddles wearing $1000 shoes. For the same price, I could take about 25 cab rides from door to door wearing whatever shoes I liked.

6. DocHolliday

DocHolliday Senior member Dubiously Honored

That's what I do with my shell boots and consider it money well spent (though, admittedly, I bought mine on sale.) It's a coarse material suited to such tasks. They've been quite resilient to the abuse, though I found the shell met its match when up against a shovel.

Right now my shell boots are sitting outside without trees, the poor things. It's a sad life for nice boots.

1 person likes this.
  7. Gerry Nelson

Gerry Nelson Senior member

Wouldn't it depend on the individual's feet in question? Bal boots or any sort of bal are not the most comfortable shoe for someone with high insteps. A balmoral could work but would have to be designed with that in mind. I have slightly high insteps and find bluchers boots/shoes to be more comfortable than balmorals.

That said, I'll definitely still be wearing my balmoral boots as we head into winter over here in Australia.

8. RogerP

RogerP Senior member

Absolutely - at least to a degree. But it still doesn't support any generalized claim that bals are more comfortable than derbies.

And I still maintain that fit is the primary factor. Open laced derbies are a bit more accommodating - in that you can likely find comfort with the fit being "off" over a broader range. Particularly so if, like me, a high instep is your primary fit problem.

But assuming both bal and derby fit equally well, they will be equally comfortable. At least, that has been my experience.

If someone finds a particular bal boot uncomfortable, it is most likely a consequence of that particular bal boot not fitting well, as opposed to some generalized lack of comfort inherent in all closed lace tall boots.

My high instep makes loafers and Chelsea boots a difficult fit. As a consequence, I own none of the former and only one of the latter. But it wouldn't be the least bit valid for me to generalize that "derbies are more comfortable than loafers".

As with any other style of shoe or boot, finding the right last and the right size and width to best fit your feet is what matters most to ultimate wearing comfort. A narrow fitting derby with a low instep won't work for me at all. A moderately wide fitting oxford with a high instep will.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2014
  9. YRR92

YRR92 Senior member

For under a suit? That's pretty badass.

10. in stitches

pB is bad ass. have you seen his wallet? it says so right there.

11. Despos

Despos Senior member Dubiously Honored

and the hair, don't forget his hair!

2 people like this.
  12. Gerry Nelson

Gerry Nelson Senior member

I completely agree with this!

13. RogerP

RogerP Senior member

Cheers.

14. patrickBOOTH

My experience is that shell looks like shit when wet. Welts up and such, gets marks.

15. patrickBOOTH

Was flipping through pictures and found this oldie:

[​IMG]

5 people like this.
  16. DocHolliday

Mine does, to a degree, but then they dry and look OK again. But I'm in the minority here in thinking shell is a coarse material not well suited for dress shoes in general. Wouldn't consider another pair except for work boots/casual wear/abusive use.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  17. patrickBOOTH

I'm the opposite. Here are my two pairs of shell shoes:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5 people like this.
  18. in stitches

plus one. i feel like my marlows will never look as pretty as they did before i was caught in the rain with them. :(

19. DocHolliday

Shell in general never looks better than before it's worn.

20. in stitches

well that is good to know. i still has a sad that they dont look as awesome as when they were fresh out of the box.