1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

whnay.'s good taste thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Manton, Jul 30, 2012.

1. mafoofan

mafoofan Senior member Dubiously Honored

You are too kind.

All but the jacket should be put to flame. That orange tie is eye-searing and the pocket square looks like something the Joker would wear.

2. in stitches

in stitches Senior member Moderator

thanks, axel. i have no issue with the shirt tho, and i dont think the stripes are all that thin. its a keeper for me. sorry buddy, the shirt will not be burned.

1 person likes this.
  3. Grammaton Cleric

Grammaton Cleric Senior member

Suit, shirt and square are fine. The square strikes me as a fairly typical Drake's mural.

The tie is bright, but it doesn't look that vivid on the NMWA site - wonder if that's the lighting? Either way, I would have gone w/ a different tie.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2014
  4. in stitches

in stitches Senior member Moderator

GC, The tie is more copper/rust irl, not orange. More muted than shown. Lighting is sub optimal.

5. mafoofan

Drake's makes ugly stuff, too.

6. Grammaton Cleric

Grammaton Cleric Senior member

If it's the wool / silk blend I'm thinking of, it has a very matte appearence and looks more subdued than the pic implies. I think it's fine, ymmv.

1 person likes this.
  7. Loathing

Loathing Senior member

The PS has perhaps one colour too many, but otherwise it has the right colouring to be complementary to lots of good ties.

8. Mr. Six

Mr. Six Senior member

I'm genuinely curious: how narrow a stripe is poor taste? Is it just the width of the stripe or the ratio of stripe width to gap between stripes?

9. mafoofan

It is much more the latter. The problem with stitch's shirt, which he unlikely to learn for year or two, is that the blue stripes are too spread apart. Consequently, when you look at the shirt, your mind's eye sees blue stripes on a white background. They pop out at you. A shirt should never do that--partially because it is traditionally underwear, partially because it is layered underneath everything else, and mostly because nothing you wear should ever pop out at anyone.

10. gdl203

gdl203 Senior member Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

I think the color / saturation makes you think that (like for the tie) but a sky blue on white rarely "pops" really. I'm not sure if it's one of our Inglese / Alumo shirts (if it is, then I can be accused of strong bias) but I like thin striped shirts too - not just butcher or candy. They are MUCH harder to get right in terms of proportions of white - that is true - but that doesn't mean that sometimes mills do get it right. I know I comb through A LOT of shirting books to pick fabrics to get our shirts made and those are some of the hardest to pick. A plain pink is also a very hard shirting fabric to pick - but that's more a question of the right tinge than pattern proportions.

1 person likes this.
  11. Academic2

Academic2 Senior member

What distance between stripes would you then recommend for a white shirt with, say, blue pencil stripes? Thanks.

Cheers,

Ac

12. archibaldleach

archibaldleach Senior member

^ I tend to prefer when the white and colored stripes are the same width but I don't know that there's inherently anything wrong with the shirt in question.

13. Loathing

Loathing Senior member

The point is that the white spaces should always been equal width to the coloured stripes.Therefore pencil stripes are effectively always in bad taste. The logic is really nothing more complicated than: symmetry is more pleasing and less distracting than asymmetry.

14. Despos

Despos Senior member Dubiously Honored

You just blew the minds of all those Turnbull and Asser clients and there multi colored fancy stripes.

15. mafoofan

Turnbull and Asser really does make ugly stuff.

2 people like this.
  16. jrd617

jrd617 Senior member

Thoughts on this fit?

Taken from the Drapers site

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  17. ctp120

ctp120 Senior member

^Tie looks a bit on the dressy side for the sport coat. Like it otherwise.

18. ctp120

ctp120 Senior member

I don't disagree with anything Greg says here--in fact, I think he really nails it--except to say that I think Foo is right about the white-to-blue ratio in this particular narrow striped example, whether a NMWA product or not.

19. jrd617

jrd617 Senior member

+1. Looks like a blue and red neat?

I'd also go for a button down collar for a sportcoat like that. Spread collar doesn't work.

20. ctp120

ctp120 Senior member

Wouldn't say the spread simply doesn't work, but I totally agree that a bd (ideally ocbd) would be preferable.

On the other hand, I think what he has on would be perfect if he just swapped the sport coat for a dark navy blazer, but that would be a different look altogether from the really great sport coat--my favorite individual piece in the pic.