• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

whnay.'s good taste thread

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

qm35ql.jpg

This is less successful than usual for you. If forced to single out an offender, it would be the pocket square. It too literally picks up the colors in your shirt and tie (the blues and oranges). If it didn't have the orange references in it and were predominantly a darker, navy blue, it would still marry to the tie and shirt, but less directly and obviously.

I think the shirt pattern is more appropriate for a casual sport shirt, but it's not killing the outfit.

Last edited:

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
a question to the gdls, eds, mantons, whnays, foos.... of the world.

you all often talk about color/texture/pattern... combinations. i wonder, when you put together what you are wearing, how conscious of a decision is it.

meaning, for example, you could take a few elite NFL QBs and show them tape of their game, and ask them why they made a certain decision, and they will all likely have a very specific answer most of the time. detailing what they did, based on what variables were playing out in the field. ask those same guys what they were thinking when they made the play, and i bet some of them give the same answer, and some just say, thats what i do. meaning, the decision is made based on the same variables, but at the time of action, some are making their choices deliberately, and other, just out of the experience/skill they have built up.

so i ask you here, when you grab a shirt/tie/sc/ps are you looking at them intently and thinking about all the reasons they may or may not work together, or are you just doing your thing naturally, with less intent, but also really based off of the same reasons?

i dont think any one is better or worse, or conotes more or less skill in the area of sartorial expertise, just different strokes. nonetheless, i wondered how you all came to you own personal decisions when it comes to dress.

i was originally planning on making a tread out of this, as i thought it might lead to good convo, but i decided against it. if you think its worth being a discussion on its own, please lmk.

thank guys, looking forward to hearing your replies on this.

whnay.

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I originally paired it with a light blue bengal stripe but ditched it in favor of something a little more adventurous. Obviously an unsuccessful attempt!

whnay.

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

you all often talk about color/texture/pattern... combinations. i wonder, when you put together what you are wearing, how conscious of a decision is it.

I'm conscious of it. Take for an obvious example, a Brioni or S. Ricci tie - I find these to be utterly appaling but especially with tweed. Why? The shiny printing silk against a back drop of fuzzy / rough texture isn't harmonious. It's the equivalent of wearing track pants with a polo shirt or sportcoat (don't laugh, I was in San Francisco's airport and witnessed this first hand).

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

meaning, for example, you could take a few elite NFL QBs and show them tape of their game, and ask them why they made a certain decision, and they will all likely have a very specific answer most of the time. detailing what they did, based on what variables were playing out in the field. ask those same guys what they were thinking when they made the play, and i bet some of them give the same answer, and some just say, thats what i do. meaning, the decision is made based on the same variables, but at the time of action, some are making their choices deliberately, and other, just out of the experience/skill they have built up.
so i ask you here, when you grab a shirt/tie/sc/ps are you looking at them intently and thinking about all the reasons they may or may not work together, or are you just doing your thing naturally, with less intent, but also really based off of the same reasons?
i dont think any one is better or worse, or conotes more or less skill in the area of sartorial expertise, just different strokes. nonetheless, i wondered how you all came to you own personal decisions when it comes to dress.
i was originally planning on making a tread out of this, as i thought it might lead to good convo, but i decided against it. if you think its worth being a discussion on its own, please lmk.
thank guys, looking forward to hearing your replies on this.

I can only answer for me but I can't put that much thought into an outfit, it just seems like too much work. I probably put more thought than I think I do into choosing what I put in my closet and attempting to have each piece mesh with the others but once I grab something, I can't sit there in front of a mirror debating the merits of a grenadine versus a woven, I just can't be bothered to be that perfect.

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I'm conscious of it. Take for an obvious example, a Brioni or S. Ricci tie - I find these to be utterly appaling but especially with tweed. Why? The shiny printing silk against a back drop of fuzzy / rough texture isn't harmonious. It's the equivalent of wearing track pants with a polo shirt or sportcoat (don't laugh, I was in San Francisco's airport and witnessed this first hand).

cool. thank you for answering, and for giving a specific example.

san fran you say? was this around the time of the styfo X convention per chance?

I can only answer for me but I can't put that much thought into an outfit, it just seems like too much work. I probably put more thought than I think I do into choosing what I put in my closet and attempting to have each piece mesh with the others but once I grab something, I can't sit there in front of a mirror debating the merits of a grenadine versus a woven, I just can't be bothered to be that perfect.

most excellent!!

as i expected. two very knowledgable guys in this area. two very different answers i think.

would be interesting to see the responses of other people well versed in these things.

thanks guys.

Last edited:

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Not overtly offensive. But not in good taste, either. There is no nuance, no visual flow, no meaningful variance.

I think the nuance is in what seems to be a linen shirt, some kind of textured wool suit and the wool/cashmere tie. I would only say that a different fabric tie would have worked better here, I have no issue with everything being blue.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

I originally paired it with a light blue bengal stripe but ditched it in favor of something a little more adventurous. Obviously an unsuccessful attempt!

Well, I think the shirt pattern was maybe a formalistic mis-step but that's not such a problem for me, since the outfit is inherently more casual, which buys you more leeway, and the actual color of the shirt is aesthetically sensible here.

I'd swap the square. Will attempt a foofing later.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

I think the nuance is in what seems to be a linen shirt, some kind of textured wool suit and the wool/cashmere tie. I would only say that a different fabric tie would have worked better here, I have no issue with everything being blue.

Categorical nuance is meaningless without visual distinction. What does it matter if something is this material or that material? The textures between all three elements are very similar, and there is too little contrast in saturation or brightness to compensate.

Last edited:

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Categorical nuance is meaningless without visual distinction. What does it matter if something is this material or that material? The textures between all three elements are very similar, and there is too little contrast in saturation or brightness to compensate.

these are assumptions you are making based on what seems to be a bad phone picture in a car. I have no issue with textures being similar as long as they are not the same and the color shades are not exact. Again, I have no issue with this look other than wearing a wool tie in what seems to be a summer outift, I can appreciate a montone outfit.

whnay.

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

You may tell yourself this but I simply don't believe it. You run a clothing brand, one of your biggest talents / gifts is choosing cloth, carefully. How this skill doesn't make its way into your own dressing room is beyond me. Tis a bit of Gianni Angelli fantasy if you ask me.

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

You may tell yourself this but I simply don't believe it. You run a clothing brand, one of your biggest talents / gifts is choosing cloth, carefully. How this skill doesn't make its way into your own dressing room is beyond me. Tis a bit of Gianni Angelli fantasy if you ask me.

I thought I kinda said that, I do put in time into thinking about what goes in the closet and trying to put together a cohesive wardrobe (not always successful) so that I don't have to think about it once I grab something. So I guess what I am saying is I think a lot about the process of buying things but very little about the process of wearing them. I grab a jacket, shirt, tie and pants and can't recall when I have gone back to the closet to change something. Obviously, every outfit has not been a home run. I don't fuss with tie knots, making sure things are perfectly pressed etc.

You don't spend a ton of time in front of a mirror I would guess.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Also, it's pairing it with a very saturated blue suit that is the problem. We make fun of American politicians for dressing this way. Ed can do, and typically does do, much better.

I think it's really navy. I really think it looks fine and in good taste.

What did you think of the modifications I posted on this page?

I like them and agree with the better / best. But then again, the suit is really a darker navy IRL

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I guess I'm the only one who likes it...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads